Pontiac G8 GT

gaewsky1

Anyone on CR own one? How do you like it? I've always like them and since I can't fit my family of four in a Corvette I figured I'd start looking at them. (CTS-V is too expensive)

Most I find are around 40-50,000 miles and around 20-21 grand. These engines should last a while right?

Anything mechanically different between the '08 and '09's?

Anything to look out for?

Thanks.

My boss has an orange '08. He hates everything and everyone.. but he loves his G8.

His only has an exhaust, came that way used. I guess they're pretty quick'ish, 361hp stock. Too bad they only made the GT's with a slushbox.

I owned one and loved it only reason I sold was to get a cts-v wagon. Honestly the G8 was roomier in the back seat than my V is. The one to get if you can find one is a 2009.5 which adds factory Bluetooth, that is really the only difference in the 2 years they made them. The 2009.5 also has secondary cats but this will be taken care of if a cat back is installed. I drove mine a lot in the time I owned it and the only issue I came across was the front lower ball joints. It is a defect that GM tried to fix but even the improved design will go bad, mine did after about 30k miles. To replace all 4 arms is $250 so it really isn't that big of a deal. Replace the bushings will poly bushings and that seems to extend life significantly. Any other questions just ask.

After having had such a wonderful ownership experience with my GTO I'm sold on the GM's from down under. I would say I talk myself out of trading in the Lexus for one of these things about once or twice a month.

yeah, i'd probably rock one with zero hesitation. i loved my gto to death. probably should not have gotten rid of it. don't get me wrong--i sold it to get my cts-v, which i love. but the gto got great mileage, was manual, and the perfect highway cruiser. you might want to also look at low mileage gto's. that way you get your manual and the stronger 400hp motor--although my ls2 gto never made 400hp stock--probably 380. for a family of 4, the backseats have a decent amount of room.

I have an 09.5, I bought it las march with 36k for 21, it now has 66k, and they have been very hard miles. With bolt ons it makes 365/380 and on spray it makes 470/600. I have put a ton of bottles thru it and have had mickeys on it and have had nothing break. My control arms are starting to show signs of wear. Any questions feel free to ask.

my buddy has 2 09's (i believe)... we were just talking about them yesterday. his GXP is now 4 years old and has 381 miles and his GT is 6 months older and might now be at 4000 miles. garage queens for sure. but they sure do look good sitting there when i've been over and seen them. lol

Dont own one, but driven a few and i loved them. I will own one lol.

Also dont know if performance is a top priority, but a guy brought a bone stock one out to trails about a year ago. I think he ran a 14.0, but brought the car back out at the end of the year with what he told me was nothin more than bolt ons (cai, long tubes,cat back witht stock mufflers, tune) and he ran 13.3.

I loved mine when I had it. Plenty fast for what it was. The thing I liked most about it was cruising on the freeway. The seats are very comfortable and it just rode so smooth. I regularly got 18-19 mpg city and 27-28 freeway.

I had the balljoints changed out under warranty. The stereo is sort of lack luster. There's a trick to the amp in the trunk that works wonders.

Check out g8board.com

I drove a few when I was looking for a new commuter car. I liked the car, a lot. It was a tossup between that and the SRT 300. Decided on the 300 because I couldn't find a low mileage one in the color I wanted.