purchased a used 04 mustang GT

rage1187

low miles, but noticed in a video that was sent that the ABS light was on. im going in the next few days to look at it and if i was to purchase the car something like this would have to be fixed. i have OCD too much, and staring at a light that isnt suppose to be on i would end up putting my fist through the cluster. gears were changed out to the 3.73FRPP so im assuming that has something to do with it, but my searches arent leaving me with much on the net. dont want to throw money at a problem that wont fix it but also dont want to negotiate a price NOT knowing a said part is going to be a couple hundred bucks either.

2001 mustang GT

man tranny.

If I had to guess, I would say it most likely needs either one or both of the rear wheel speed (ABS) sensors replaced. Chances are they were damaged when the previous owner had the gears replaced. They are fragile and they don't come out very easy after being in there for a few years. Easy (and cheap) to fix if this is indeed the issue.

If I had to guess, I would say it most likely needs either one or both of the rear wheel speed (ABS) sensors replaced. Chances are they were damaged when the previous owner had the gears replaced. They are fragile and they don't come out very easy after being in there for a few years. Easy (and cheap) to fix if this is indeed the issue.

+1 mines on too. Worse case you have a bad abs unit. If so it's pricey part.

Have the same gears in my mustang, had the same issue with the ABS sensors crumbling when you pull them to do the swap. Nearly every time it's just a quick sensor swap and you're back in business. The seat of your pants difference on the 4.6mod motor with the new gears is WELL worth having to replace some sensors. If you end up buying the car and need them let me know I'll take care of you on your parts.

Anything else other than gears done? Miles on the car?

+4

One of mine broke when i was getting my 4.10s put in. The person who did the swap purchased a new sensor and was on my way. Easy fix.

Have the same gears in my mustang, had the same issue with the ABS sensors crumbling when you pull them to do the swap. Nearly every time it's just a quick sensor swap and you're back in business. The seat of your pants difference on the 4.6mod motor with the new gears is WELL worth having to replace some sensors. If you end up buying the car and need them let me know I'll take care of you on your parts.

Anything else other than gears done? Miles on the car?

private message sent.

and i apologise, its a 2002 GT.

im just one of those people that takes care of there cars. not downing anyone else by no means, but a light that is not suppose to be on would literally drive me nuts and i would lose sleep over it if it was my car. so if i take ownership of the car i can almost bet within 2 days it will be fixed. im gonna try to pull up some more links to pinpoint exactly what it is i need to replace although its hard to without getting the code read. he informed me that a shop performed the gear swap. ??? so yeah. i understand the car wont be perfect and i can accept that. but a fault code being thrown is something that has to be fixed when i personally am negotiating. I dont mind fixing it, but it will ultimately affect the price. if not i can keep looking. its not the only mustang GT on the market. im just picky though. i want a good condition black on black. im not looking to make a drag car out of it or anything like that, but a nice driver or a car to cruise somewhere nice to. i dont mind some bolt on modifications as long as they were done tastefully and were done meticulously. this vehicle just happens to have under 50K on the odo and based on sellers comments and phone conversation this is not a daily driver and is garaged kept. so we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

ok fellas who own one,,,,

selling my car and picking up an 04 black gt friday. trying to source a wingless black trunk. anyone have any ideas? i will make some calls around some junk yards to see whats out there but it never hurts to ask.

lol. ive been browsing around, just didnt know by chance if anyone knew of someplace that would have a wingless trunk that fits an 04. ive read about the plugs etc... but i think it would drive me a little crazy. might do it for right now to get by. original owner stated wing was holding water????? so he took it off and plugged the holes. very noticable to the point that i have to change it within 24 hours of taking ownership of the car.

Here is my advice on this car and what to do to it.

Unless you have a good amount of money... apx $10,000 to sink into it. Forget trying to make it fast or make tons of power.

Instead go with a good gear, 3.73 3.90 or 4.10, Get a tune. leave it.

If you are going to auto cross it, do full suspension then stop.

Trust me.

+1 mines on too. Worse case you have a bad abs unit. If so it's pricey part.

I felt the ABS unit pain on a 2000 Mustang GT. cost me over $1500 to get it fixed correctly. The pump was $800 and don't think you can just pick up a used one for $50 and be on your way. Way more complicated than just swaping it out. I have an ABS code reader if you need to use it. I'm betting if the gear has been changed in the rear end the sensors are bad back there.

already have the FR500's

sitting on eibachs

tint will follow and tune will come soon.

i put the wing back on only because the paint was coming up from where previous owner took it off. so i buffed on the wing for about 3 hours and got it the best i could and applied some silicone around the holes before installing it back on. figured this would get me by until i can get a more permanent fix. wing was beat up pretty bad. had to touch it up in a few places. but it will work for now. will get it cleaned up tomorrow and snap a couple pics.

in the meantime keep your eye out on a v6. im gonna start flagging them down. lol.

and here is what i purchased.

2004 mustang GT

black on black.

JLT cold air intake.

trickflo upper plenum.

UPR off road x pipe.

flowmaster super 10's

eibach sportlines.

FR500's 275 on the front / 315's in the rear.

has the mach 1000 stereo system. i have the window sticker where original purchaser paid for it and is is listed on window sticker.

51K on the odo. very very very good shape.

my intentions are to window tint it. put a basic off the shelf tune on it. and do some minor cosmetic upgrades/changes. other than that, i want to leave it where it is and just enjoy it and take care of it.

Set up sounds good where it is at. Your plan of attack sounds good other than have it dyno tuned. Trust me, the 2v will run good with a generic tune, but if you have some one like Dyno Brian from DynoTune do it it will be a whole new car.

They change the badging on it?? If it's an 04 should have Anniversary badges and not a "GT" badge.

Good looking car, congrats!! I've had mine for 4 years and enjoyed every minute of it, been very reliable for me.