RIP Jane Wicker and Pilot, Dayton Air show.

SpaceGhost

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/22/us/ohio-stunt-plane-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/130622145050-dayton-air-show-plane-crash-story-top.jpg

Two people were killed Saturday during a performance at an Ohio air show, CNN affiliate WHIO reported

A wing walker was performing on the Stearman biplane at the time of the crash, FAA spokesperson Lynn Lunsford said.

Lunsford said the plane crashed and exploded in a grassy area between two runways at the Vectren Dayton Air Show.

WHIO reported that the plane burst into flames as it hit the ground.

The FAA's website lists Jane Wicker as the registered owner of the plane.

WHIO reported that Wicker, who is well-known among the stunt show community, was on the plane.

Wow!

Not sure what happened there either.....it's not like they haven't done this thousands of times. Definatly not a good deal for the air show which already suffered the loss of the military support with this years cuts.

wind shear

Definition of wind shear

noun

[mass noun]

variation in wind velocity occurring along a direction at right angles to the wind’s direction and tending to exert a turning force.

wind shear in other Oxford dictionaries

Definition of wind shear in the US English dictionary

Most likely the pilot was going too slow and the plane stalled while inverted, at that point and at that altitude there's nothing you can do.

I also thought that at first, especially given the altitude and (lack of) speed, but stunt pilots don't take unnecessary risks, and for something they do "year in and year out," stalling isn't a mistake they're likely to make. That, and the shudder comes before the stall, rather than after it. The video's too fuzzy to make out control surfaces, but to me it looks like an updraft hits the right wing (which was already higher), tilting the plane too far for the wings to lift. At that point, the best you could probably hope for would be a panic aileron roll back to level (normal or inverted) and a tail dragging crash.

Looks to me like a stall. It was a hot day shit happens to the best of the best... I'm sure her weight at the end of the wing and the fact that the plane is upside down doesn't help with it either. But hey I've only got 3 hrs of flight time so far so I could be wrong

A few observations from a friend and high hours pilot ...

The video seems to show a stall that departed into an inverted spin. Most likely due to an excessive angle of attack as seen by the elevator position. I asked about the puffs of smoke that come from the engine as the plane was inverted. He said that was probably the pilot adding throttle to power out of the stalled condition and might show the moment when he knew he was in big trouble.

Person walks around on outside of a plane during and dies-RIP

Person driving fast and crashes-Fkr deserved it.

Sad story for sure but her death > how many of will die. RIP to a woman with balls bigger than most guys.

She died in a moment where she ws on top of the world. I hope I have an opportunity to go out in such fashion.

58847_508363769199911_972638663_n.jpg

http://s1.15cdn.lt/images/photos/616351/big/jane-wicker-51c69141485e8.jpg

Person walks around on outside of a plane during and dies-RIP

Person driving fast and crashes-Fkr deserved it.

LOL.

Difference is, most people that get the "Fkr deserved it" treatment were driving fast on public roads illegally. She was performing at a sanctioned event, BIG difference.

Most people that die racing at a sanctioned event get the RIP treatment as well, because they are not out in public speeding or being retards.

Difference is, most people that get the "Fkr deserved it" treatment were driving fast on public roads illegally. She was performing at a sanctioned event, BIG difference.

Most people that die racing at a sanctioned event get the RIP treatment as well, because they are not out in public speeding or being retards.

Dumb is dumb regardless of whether other people "allow" it or not.

• Downvote 1