Ohio State football: Hyde dismissed from team, sources say

Jackson1647545504

Release from OSU:

Meyer announces discipline for four Buckeyes

Separate incidents result in immediate, decisive action

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer today suspended senior running back Carlos Hyde, from Naples, Fla., from all football team activities pending the outcome of the student code of conduct and criminal investigations. Hyde was named in a City of Columbus Police Department report that was issued Monday.

Meyer also took disciplinary action Monday against two freshmen who were involved in legal issues in the past week: tight end Marcus Baugh, from Riverside, Calif., and defensive lineman Tim Gardner, from Indianapolis. He also announced that senior cornerback Bradley Roby, from Suwanee, Ga., will not attend Big Ten media days this week. Roby was involved in a legal issue this weekend in Bloomington, Ind., and, as more information becomes available, could face additional discipline.

“I have a clear set of core values in place that members of this football program are constantly reminded of and are expected to honor,” Meyer said. “There are also expectations with regard to behavior. I expect our players to conduct themselves responsibly and appropriately and they will be held accountable for their actions.”

Baugh has been removed from all team activities and will sit out the first game of the season, Aug. 31 vs. Buffalo, for his arrest last weekend for underage possession of alcohol and possessing a fake identification. His actions will also result in the loss of his summer aid.

Gardner is being sent home and will not be a part of the 2013 team after he was charged Saturday night by Columbus police with obstruction of official business.

“Swift, effective and fair discipline is the standard for our entire athletics program,” Director of Athletics Gene Smith said. “I applaud Coach Meyer for his immediate actions.”

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Release from OSU:

Meyer announces discipline for four Buckeyes

Separate incidents result in immediate, decisive action

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer today suspended senior running back Carlos Hyde, from Naples, Fla., from all football team activities pending the outcome of the student code of conduct and criminal investigations. Hyde was named in a City of Columbus Police Department report that was issued Monday.

Meyer also took disciplinary action Monday against two freshmen who were involved in legal issues in the past week: tight end Marcus Baugh, from Riverside, Calif., and defensive lineman Tim Gardner, from Indianapolis. He also announced that senior cornerback Bradley Roby, from Suwanee, Ga., will not attend Big Ten media days this week. Roby was involved in a legal issue this weekend in Bloomington, Ind., and, as more information becomes available, could face additional discipline.

“I have a clear set of core values in place that members of this football program are constantly reminded of and are expected to honor,” Meyer said. “There are also expectations with regard to behavior. I expect our players to conduct themselves responsibly and appropriately and they will be held accountable for their actions.”

Baugh has been removed from all team activities and will sit out the first game of the season, Aug. 31 vs. Buffalo, for his arrest last weekend for underage possession of alcohol and possessing a fake identification. His actions will also result in the loss of his summer aid.

Gardner is being sent home and will not be a part of the 2013 team after he was charged Saturday night by Columbus police with obstruction of official business.

“Swift, effective and fair discipline is the standard for our entire athletics program,” Director of Athletics Gene Smith said. “I applaud Coach Meyer for his immediate actions.”

You've gotta be pretty unruly to be arrested for underage possession and fake ID as opposed to getting a citation.

You've gotta be pretty unruly to be arrested for underage possession and fake ID as opposed to getting a citation.

Not really, i seen plenty of underagers get tossed in the back of paddy wagons for underage consumption when I was back on campus. Sometimes they take them down to get processed, sometimes they leave in the back of the paddy wagon for 4-5 hours and release them with a citation.

Not really, i seen plenty of underagers get tossed in the back of paddy wagons for underage consumption when I was back on campus. Sometimes they take them down to get processed, sometimes they leave in the back of the paddy wagon for 4-5 hours and release them with a citation.

Wow that sucks. In Boston where they're ultra strict on everything all I ever got was a citation and a verbal warning for underage drinking, serving under 21 (my sister was at a party of mine). I never had a fake ID, but I did work at a wine/liquor store and we'd have cops hang out every so often to help bust fakes. All they ever did was confiscate the ID, give a short lecture about how it's a felony and a mistake that could haunt them for life, and send them on their way. Unless, of course, the person decided to be an idiot and make a scene in which case the paddy wagons would appear.

posted this in the football thread:

ESPN: Video of Carlos Hyde incident paints different picture +

posted by Luke Zimmermann on Jul 22, 2013

A source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy that there is surveillance video of the incident that's contrary to what is being reported.

ESPN's Brett McMurphy

A source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy that there is surveillance video of the incident that's contrary to what is being reported.

ESPN's Brett McMurphy

Zimmermann you say :masturboy:

I'd be interested in seeing this "video" if it's ever released.

ESPN's Brett McMurphy

Hmm.. now it gets interested.

Since charges haven't been filed and people haven't heard the other side of the story. Who knows what the real story is. Girls are crazy, this girl could be just another attention whore. Carlos Hyde could have just accidently bumped her/ran into her. Just hope people don't jump to conclusions too quick before everything comes out.

Wow that sucks. In Boston where they're ultra strict on everything all I ever got was a citation and a verbal warning for underage drinking, serving under 21 (my sister was at a party of mine). I never had a fake ID, but I did work at a wine/liquor store and we'd have cops hang out every so often to help bust fakes. All they ever did was confiscate the ID, give a short lecture about how it's a felony and a mistake that could haunt them for life, and send them on their way. Unless, of course, the person decided to be an idiot and make a scene in which case the paddy wagons would appear.

Campus/Campus cops has done a 180 from what it used to be back in the Mid 90's/Early 2000's. Underage drinking is aggressively targeted now. I can remember partying down there with literally hundreds of other teenagers back when I was 16 (late '90's): Cops would stop in front of the party then get on the loud speaker and tell us to "clear it out" by midnight, then drive off.

Now they send in undercover officers to bust adults (18-20). Man how times have changed.

I have issues with the way the Collegiate and NFL coaches handle misbehavior of thier players.

Keep your team respectable, and i have no problems.

So he is suppose to be with the players 24/7. He has punished everyone in the wrong accordingly since he joined OSU. What else is he suppose to do? Hyde is just a person of interest, wait until the facts and video show up.

so THRILLED to be in the Urban Myer era of coaching! :fuuuu:

Meyer has a strict policy regarding violence against women. He immediately dismissed senior Storm Klein from the team last summer when the linebacker was accused of having a physical altercation with a former girlfriend in his apartment. But when Klein later was cleared of the charges he was allowed to return to the team.

Seems like he takes immediate and appropriate actions to me.

So. its happening on UM's time..

Tressle fired for his team selling shit to get tattoos.. UM will get nothing but an "atta boy" attitude..

Yes, if he (again) takes action, he will.

I have issues with the way the Collegiate and NFL coaches handle misbehavior of thier players.

Keep your team respectable, and i have no problems.

There's not a clean team in any sports at any level. Especially in football where rosters are a kabillion people deep. You're bound to have a few bad eggs. We just don't hear about all of them.

He kicked Hyde off the team before any charges have even been filed. What more do you want him to do?

Looks like he's cleaning house to me.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072213aaa.html

That's what I like to see. My team or not, if a player acts like a fool and does something drastically stupid they should be canned. If it's something minor, suspension or fine.

So he is suppose to be with the players 24/7. He has punished everyone in the wrong accordingly since he joined OSU. What else is he suppose to do? Hyde is just a person of interest, wait until the facts and video show up.

This was acknowledged here:

Excellent.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2013/7/23/4550900/yahoo-dance-club-video-shows-ohio-states-carlos-hyde-didnt-strike

Robinson states that charges are not expected to be filed against Hyde after the video showed that he didn't appear to make contact with the alleged victim. "The video then shows Hyde leaving the area and reaching back in the woman's direction in a non-confrontational manner, the source said. From the video, it doesn't appear Hyde ever made contact with the woman – either before or after she struck him, the source said."

Victim is a friend of mine's daughter. Wrong girl to elbow.

You know anything more about this? Reading that she didn't show up to a meeting with police to discuss what happened and an even more probably outlandish rumor that she left the country...lol.

You know anything more about this? Reading that she didn't show up to a meeting with police to discuss what happened and an even more probably outlandish rumor that she left the country...lol.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/7/18/10/anigif_original-grid-image-30201-1374157621-11.gif

Sounds like your friends daughter is an attention seeking whore. Hope she enjoyed her 5 minutes of fame, and the coming months of a shame her and her family will receive.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lapsaqHbgH1qzpwi0o1_400.gif

I think women who obviously and provably falsely accuse men of violence against women, knowing the social impact of their statements, should be charged and sentenced in equal proportion to the sentence any man would face for actually striking a woman.

+1