home schooling?

smokin5s

I am going to preface this by stating I did not read anything below the OP's original post.

I was home schooled until my Freshman year in HS. I did go to school in the first grade, but that was it. My younger brothers were home schooled until the middle school grades, at which point they started going to public school.

First, let me put this common misconception to death:

Not all home schooled kids are social retards. I (and my brother's as well), played in baseball and soccer leagues, as well as a lot of basketball pickup games at the park. Also, because of my schedule, I was able to get a job at 14 doing cleaning and maintenance work at the local rec center where I played in an indoor soccer league and later went on to be a ref there for 5-6yr old games. So in some ways, I got a lot more social interaction with people of all ages and walks of life than most kids my age had. Yes, there are creepy, socially retarded home schooled kids, but you get those in public school too. What I am saying is, don't buy into the stereotype of home schooled kids.

On to the educational aspect. Neither of my parents had any kind of education degree. They weren't teachers, or anything like that. My mom did a majority of the teaching, but a lot of the education comes from the material itself, and you as the parents have teacher's keys to help, and for grading purposes and such. The state required us to be tested every year to see where we placed. Every year my brothers and I placed well ahead of our grade in all aspects, including reading, mathematics, etc.

One other thing I need to tell you to keep in mind, if you home school up to a certain point/grade, then decide for one reason or another that the kid is going back to public school, be prepared for that kid to be way ahead of all the other kids in his/her respective grade. The one year I went to public school in the first grade, I had already learned every single thing taught that year in my previous year of being home schooled for kindergarten. Then when I went from being home schooled up through 8th grade then started going to public school in 9th grade...I got straight A's with no effort in 9th grade because I had already learned everything my previous year in 8th grade being home schooled.

One other thing these days in comparison to when I was a kid, there are a lot more options for education as well due to technology. Online course taught by live teachers and such.

Anyway, if you have any other questions, hit me up.

Does anyone have any experience with home schooling? If so, can you please help give me more info.

My step daughter has some how convinced my wife to let her be home schooled and I'm trying to find out more info on it. Please keep in mind, my wife has zero abilities to teach her so it would need to be all online. Any info would be appreciaited.

This statement makes me pretty uncomfortable. Not all, but most kids need someone to push them. While the content can be delivered online there needs to be someone fulfilling the role of the teacher. It cannot be the computer. So, is the kid going to teach herself, or is her mother going to shoulder that burden? Or are you going to do it?

If she really doesn't like her school, and this is about a change of setting, have you looked at the career centers? I'm a career tech instructor and I'd be happy to talk with you about what our kinds of schools have to offer.

This statement makes me pretty uncomfortable. Not all, but most kids need someone to push them. While the content can be delivered online there needs to be someone fulfilling the role of the teacher. It cannot be the computer. So, is the kid going to teach herself, or is her mother going to shoulder that burden? Or are you going to do it?

If she really doesn't like her school, and this is about a change of setting, have you looked at the career centers? I'm a career tech instructor and I'd be happy to talk with you about what our kinds of schools have to offer.

Listened to an interview on NPR the other day talking about his research with children and how often times learning occurs in amazing ways with the absence of adults. His conclusion after years of research is that adults should play a minimal role in a child's learning...

Listened to an interview on NPR the other day talking about his research with children and how often times learning occurs in amazing ways with the absence of adults. His conclusion after years of research is that adults should play a minimal role in a child's learning...

Child led education is a very interesting process but it isn't truly child led. It's to be acknowledged by the adult and encouraged with proper materials. ( library books, projects, etc)

Child led education is a very interesting process but it isn't truly child led. It's to be acknowledged by the adult and encouraged with proper materials. ( library books, projects, etc)

This is more of the education I received at home. My parents graduated HS, but after I got beyond the basic R's and moved on to some serious study they had no way of keeping up.

Lucky for them I'm extremely motivated to learn (when not being pressured by anyone.) Part of my ASD is getting stuck on obsessions which for me was things like astronomy, programming, history, etc so I'd need to learn a lot of what I called "filler material" to accomplish some goal in a hobby. This would cause me to learn some really advanced parts of subjects.

anyone know anything about Treca Digital Academy? That is what her guidance counselor is recommending. I looked up reviews online and it didn't look impressive but was hoping that someone might know more first hand experience.

My ex wife was home schooled from 6th grade on, not ECOT, a very well organized group of 5-6 students with (from what I remember) 3 or 4 actually trained educators. She was very book smart and knew her shit but not even Devry would accept her "diploma". She went on to attent OU but before she was aloud to attend class she had to go threw their GED classes and pass the GED test.

A homeschool degree be it ECOT or something better just won't be accepted as equal to a GED, let alone a real high school diploma.

My ex wife was home schooled from 6th grade on, not ECOT, a very well organized group of 5-6 students with (from what I remember) 3 or 4 actually trained educators. She was very book smart and knew her shit but not even Devry would accept her "diploma". She went on to attent OU but before she was aloud to attend class she had to go threw their GED classes and pass the GED test.

A homeschool degree be it ECOT or something better just won't be accepted as equal to a GED, let alone a real high school diploma.

A lot of homeschoolers just go get there GED when they are done with homeschooling. If the kid is not a retard, and works hard, it's not uncommon for a homeschooled kid to complete all 12 grades and get there GED 2yrs early.