Lens Replacement

wagner

So my Cannon EFS 18-55MM had a died.

What are some good replacements I should be looking at. I would prefer something I can look at and maybe purchase local.

Yes, this will be for track side,pit, and car show use.

Not sure what range you're looking to spend or focal lengths you use most, but since you have a crop-body Canon and will be using this for car shows indoors and out and pit areas, the The Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM is the one to get. You get what you pay for man. It's worth the money.

It's L-Quality glass in a great 77mm large size lens. It would qualify for a full L-status if it was weather sealed. Excellent lens overall. Won't work on a full frame but it's resale is strong and you'll likely keep an APS-C camera if you were to upgrade. Ask me how I know :)

You've seen an used mine IIRC at C&C. I shoot with the 24-70L as my walk around. This lens is slightly sharper wide open on a crop body. Costs less too. However, you'll have IS which is nice for cloudy days and indoors at car shows. About the same size.

My 2-cents would be to look at what other Photog's use track-side when you are out. I have and from what I have seen 99% that shoot down-track are using a 70-200mm (Pick your flavor) and for walking around the pits / lanes you can use whatever you want honestly. That is why I suggest the 50mm since its dirty cheap. Wider is better if the budget is there and if you don't need the 2.8 save a few bucks and get the Canon 15-85mm. Not fast but great IS and zoom range on a crop.

Jeff

My 2-cents would be to look at what other Photog's use track-side when you are out. I have and from what I have seen 99% that shoot down-track are using a 70-200mm (Pick your flavor) and for walking around the pits / lanes you can use whatever you want honestly. That is why I suggest the 50mm since its dirty cheap. Wider is better if the budget is there and if you don't need the 2.8 save a few bucks and get the Canon 15-85mm. Not fast but great IS and zoom range on a crop.

Jeff

A 50mm is on my want list. I have a kit 70-200MM, but will be shooting with a nicer one this weekend. Should be interesting to see how big a difference it makes.