Lens Replacement

wagner

That or just buy the nifty fifty. It's fixed but depending on how advanced you are that can be a good thing. Will teach you to move to your subject to get the shot. Also has beautiful Bokeh and great in low light.

Assuming you need it primarily for track-side use I would grab a 50/1.8 and then a 70-200/2.8 of whatever flavor (Sigma / Tamron / Canon V. 1) and call it good. Since the 50mm is less than $100 I would get it first.

Jeff

Yes, this will be for track side,pit, and car show use.

Yes, this will be for track side,pit, and car show use.

You liked using my 28-75. Its a great every day lens, as well as for what you do.

I do agree that next after that on your list should be a fast zoom 70-200 or a fast prime big lens (400mm?)

The 28-75 will easily upgrade with you, when you go to a better camear eventually.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-75mm-Aspherical-Canon-Digital/dp/B0000A1G05/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375117188&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+28-75mm+f+2.8

Just remember, youre a small business now, and you can write it off Rentals are write offs as well.

I still also think you hsould rent some lenses from midwest for a weekend and play with them. See what actually works for you. They ahve a GREAT selection.

I figured out what i wanted to buy, by what i rented the most from them over a six month period.

You liked using my 28-75. Its a great every day lens, as well as for what you do.

I do agree that next after that on your list should be a fast zoom 70-200 or a fast prime big lens (400mm?)

The 28-75 will easily upgrade with you, when you go to a better camear eventually.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-75mm-Aspherical-Canon-Digital/dp/B0000A1G05/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375117188&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+28-75mm+f+2.8

Just remember, youre a small business now, and you can write it off Rentals are write offs as well.

I still also think you hsould rent some lenses from midwest for a weekend and play with them. See what actually works for you. They ahve a GREAT selection.

I figured out what i wanted to buy, by what i rented the most from them over a six month period.

That was the lens! I might buy that now, and rent some of the bigger lens stuff to see what I want after that.

How much do u wanna spend? This was my primary lens for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001G6U48

I had a 70-200 2.8 and only used it for weddings. I loved the aperature but it was not much of a differenxe from above and I was always able to correct the difference. And it didn't have the reach as the 300. The 70-200 is an awesome lense as well though and its cheaper.

The 50 is a great lens everyone should own, but for him, I thi I his money is better spent elsewhere right now.

Having been out at the track (Dragstrip) quite a few times things typically end up going well into the wee hours so the faster the glass and the cleaner the high-ISO the better. Can't beat a 1.8 for $80-90. On the flip-side, your locations tend to be pretty static so a zoom is nice when walking forward/back isn't an option.

If you are primarily shooting in the sun at noon anything works if you aren't splitting hairs in the IQ dept.

Jeff

Do not by a Canon 50MM 1.8. Slowest focusing lens canon has. I guess if your taking photos of cars in pits and trying to be artistic about it, it will be fine for you. But if your trying to get any shots of people moving around while in the pit, good luck with that. You'd need to step it up to the 1.4

• 2 weeks later...
Try columbus camera on e blake ave. 267-0686. That's who I always use for rentals

I might try them for the next one. I was very impressed with how Midwest handled the situation, and their service so far has been great.

The guy took the time to really explain the differences between the glass and listen to how I was going to be using it.

Do not by a Canon 50MM 1.8. Slowest focusing lens canon has. I guess if your taking photos of cars in pits and trying to be artistic about it, it will be fine for you. But if your trying to get any shots of people moving around while in the pit, good luck with that. You'd need to step it up to the 1.4

Its slow for sure (first gen focus motors), but totally capable. I use it a ton at weddings, enough that I probably should upgrade it to a 1.4 or 1.2, but its not a critical lens in my arsenal.

I might try them for the next one. I was very impressed with how Midwest handled the situation, and their service so far has been great.

The guy took the time to really explain the differences between the glass and listen to how I was going to be using it.

Dennis is awesome. Get to know him and he'll take good care of you.