FS: 1998 Formula

98Formula

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Factory hood is just flat. With the factory hood and wheels, the car will essentially look like a V6.

From a buyer's perspective, I would leave the car as is. A lot of the appeal to me is the hood and wheel/tire setup. It will absolutely sell, and there's no reason why it shouldn't bring very close to the asking price (or the full price if the stock wheels are included), it's only been for sale for a few days. I sold my Harley Sunday night and was very interested in this, but had some restraint only due to it being a '98 car, and ended up finding 2 cars (very, very different vehicles) that I'm more interested in right now.

Factory hood is just flat. With the factory hood and wheels, the car will essentially look like a V6.

From a buyer's perspective, I would leave the car as is. A lot of the appeal to me is the hood and wheel/tire setup. It will absolutely sell, and there's no reason why it shouldn't bring very close to the asking price (or the full price if the stock wheels are included), it's only been for sale for a few days. I sold my Harley Sunday night and was very interested in this, but had some restraint only due to it being a '98 car, and ended up finding 2 cars (very, very different vehicles) that I'm more interested in right now.

Why is there less appeal in the 98?

And you have me confused-is it an original v8 car?

The Formula model is the V8 without the Trans Am body kit pretty much JP. The '98s are first year cars and have a few differences with the PCM, rod bolts and some other things. They're not bad cars, but a '99-'02 is preferred.

The Formula model is the V8 without the Trans Am body kit pretty much JP. The '98s are first year cars and have a few differences with the PCM, rod bolts and some other things. They're not bad cars, but a '99-'02 is preferred.

Congrats on just shitting all over the sellers Car.

I will say, there's nothing wrong with the '98 cars. Ask me how I know.

Early on, yes, the PCM was limited to tuning due to issues with limited resolution MAF tables and limited VE tables. Boost was a guessing game.

His car being a H/C car is not only easy as hell to tune, the '98 has had the benefit of custom OS applications like speed density and boost/2+ bar MAP sensors for a few years now.

$6500 is a killer deal for what all is done to the car.

Congrats on just shitting all over the sellers Car.

How so? Anyone interested in a f-body should already know there are some differences, and as I said it's a preference thing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a '98 car, but there are advantages to a '99+. This car is priced extremely well and appears to be pretty clean. To somebody who doesn't mind a '98 model, this is an awesome deal in my opinion.

As Anthony said, tuning can sometimes be a limitation on them, but that's clearly not an issue with this car. Even if it were, it's not hard to switch to a 99+ PCM as well. I was only stating that most of the appeal of the car is the complete package, and stating the main reason that I personally had not already bought it.

If a 98 PCM really bothers someone that much its not difficult at all to switch. I am willing to sell the car without the hood or wheels if someone is looking for a cheaper price, but the tires on the stock wheels are worn out.

Buy it, John.

Formula > TA :D

As for the '98 PCM, people really need to quit bitching. There are really no limitations with them at all now unless you want to run a 4L80E, which it can't do. Plus, it's the only year that the coolant temperature gauge is accurate :)

Buy it, John.

As for the '98 PCM, people really need to quit bitching. There are really no limitations with them at all now unless you want to run a 4L80E, which it can't do. Plus, it's the only year that the coolant temperature gauge is accurate :)

I already have a 98 lol. I love mine and I have not had any problems with getting my car tuned. As Anthony and several others have said 98s are not a problem anymore. Technology has caught up.

Buy it, John.

agreed.....that 98 pcm deal is a leftover internet thing from the days of ls1edit and when hptuners first come out and didn't offer 98 tuning. That just gets handed down from generation to generation on the boards by people that's never tuned either. :D

Both of you hit it right on the head :)

Since you guys brought it up I just want to say that the 97-98 PCM as used in the Vette and f-body is simply different because the harness and pinout is different from the 99+. The PCM must use a different operating system because of this and is why the support wasn't there at first. The PCM hardware itself isn't much different physically at all, just a slightly smaller memory iirc. A few sensors on the engine are different as well, with the coolant temp being the most obvious. As others have mentioned there really is no reason to avoid a 98 other then nice ones are hard to find. GLWS.