2003 Lexus GS430 or 2004 Audi A6 4.2?

Guest GMoney

Guest GMoney

I'm sorry there has been a few of these thread recently but here we go again.

A little background, I had a 3 year old Chevy avalanche that had 199,00 when I bought it and 275,000 miles on it when I sold it, and still looked brand new when I passed it on. It was worth nothing but was my favorite car of all time because I never worried about putting miles on it or leaving it parked places cause even though I carry full coverage on my cars so what if it got stolen, broken into, or wrecked. It was only worth $7500.

I looking for a new DD and have narrowed it down to these two cars in the title. Please don't offer other cars, it will just get me thinking about spending a little more money with each of the next tear of car till then I'm looking at new Audi S7's all over again.

With that being said the mileage on both would be about 100,000 to start out and I would like to drive them to 200,000 miles or more. They can also be had for cheap and the same money. I would mod the new DD with a cheap set of coilovers and nice set of wheels nothing flashy. Maybe like some Rohana RC10's and a roof rack for the bikes.

A huge plus for me with the Lexus is that I know it will run for 300,000 miles without issue. What about the Audi's 4.2's are they as bullet proof also? Comments on both cars?

Don't be a pussy and get an RS6 :)

Naturally I'd vote Audi, I can't stand Lexus as a company or their cars. I got all giggely inside when Top Gear picked a Lexus as Worst Car Ever.

4.2 is pretty solid.

The 4.2 is pretty solid, agreed. The trashtronic of that generation was not..

Nope, just the tiptronic, which behind the 4.2 is guaranteed to eat up the torque converter in no time. My stock 2.7T A6 ate it's TC at 7x,xxx

Gaaayyy. I'd still choose a broken Audi in the garage over a running Lexus :dumb:

Arg...

He's asking for valid input, not your ridiculous rhetoric on Lexus ownership.

I think he gets the point.

I just ordered my 2nd set of EGT sensors in 2 years (< 5000 miles)...I love spending over $1000 on fucking sensors.

Guest GMoney

Thanks so much everyone. I love the Audi but feared the trans and converter also. I have had experiences with them failing on the 2.7T and wasn't sure if they were better on the 4.2.

Side note I normally agree with top gear that Lexus builds a super boring car to drive but the GS430 with coilovers was actually decently fun to drive and seems to be just a solid everyday car.