New Car! 2004 Acura TL

BStowers023

Some of you saw my thread the other day about my possible purchases, and I went with a TL!

2004 Acura TL

107k miles

1 year drivetrain warranty

One owner, all service done at Lindsay Acura

Metallic with two-tone camel leather interior and black dash.

Got an insane deal on the car. After some negotiation, I got her for $7300. Retail is $12500. I'd say I did alright :fuckyeah:

Sorry for the cell phone pics, all I have right now.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/BStowers023/acuratl_zps903141f3.jpg

If you talked them down from 12.5 then great. I cannot possibly bring myself to pay that kind of money for something with over 100k.

Next step should be comptech supercharger.

No, it was at Lindsay Acura for $13000, but I guess they have a 30 day turn around on used cars so a small dealership south of Columbus picked it up and I bought it from them. I'm gonna keep it stock, car should last a while, I see them going over 300k.

Going to get some different wheels?

I'd like to put some type s wheels on it eventually.

Does that car have the 3.2 or the 3.5? Regardless, check oil level often and forget about maintenance minder (keep a normal oil change interval).

Yeah I know how to maintain a car lol but regardless, it's got a 1 year warranty if the thing happens to be a lemon. It's a 3.2, I don't think the 3.5 came out until 07 maybe?

I'd like to put some type s wheels on it eventually.

Yeah I know how to maintain a car lol but regardless, it's got a 1 year warranty if the thing happens to be a lemon. It's a 3.2, I don't think the 3.5 came out until 07 maybe?

A lemon? LOL the car is almost 10yrs old and has over 100k miles. Anything that happens at this point shouldn't come to a surprise given the year n mileage.

Nice pick up. My wife has an 07 that we've out over 40k miles on and it's been great. They seem to eat rear brakes and are picky about alignment settings are about the only issues we've run into.

Funny you mention that, because the only 2 things is say it needs right now is re-alignment, and new rear brakes lol.

Nice purchase. One of the only cars I wouldn't have a problem purchasing with over 150k. See them all the time with over 200k and no problems

Yep, I did quite a bit of research and read tons of consumer reviews which is why I don't mind the purchase of a 9 year old car with 107k miles.

Don't park it in the sun, the dashboards like to crack.

On that note, I am very fond of the $7 accordian-folding, bubble-wrap, foil sun shields you can get at Wal*Mart. Easy to pop up, stays in place with help from the sun visors, stows away easily...and truly does drop the inside temps of the BMW and Passat by at least 30-40 degrees. It's remarkable how much cooler (or "less blazing" at least) those things can make the car...

On that note, I am very fond of the $7 accordian-folding, bubble-wrap, foil sun shields you can get at Wal*Mart. Easy to pop up, stays in place with help from the sun visors, stows away easily...and truly does drop the inside temps of the BMW and Passat by at least 30-40 degrees. It's remarkable how much cooler (or "less blazing" at least) those things can make the car...

I have those taped up in all the windows in my camper. They make a huge difference.

Yeah. It looks like only the type s were 3.5. Dem 3.5 are chronic oil consumers.

funny I've been working at Lindsay Acura going on 18 years now, I can tell you I've never seen the 3.5 use oil under NORMAL driving conditions. People who ignore their service intervals or hammer on the car non-stop then yes your gonna see oil consumption on any engine.

Don't park it in the sun, the dashboards like to crack.

THIS!

My GF is looking for a TL. What is the difference between the TL and TSX?

inb4googlelazyass

1999-2014 TL has a the V6, 2004-2008 TSX 4 cylinder 2009-2014 TSX has both 4 & 6 engine depending on what you buy, the V6 TSX isn't worth the price! spend the extra $5-6k and get a TL. The TSX has less luxury features but is light on the wallet vs the TL.

btw the TSX is what replaced the RSX if that tells you anything

At the time, the TSX was the new Honda Accord rebadged and sold to Americans at a higher price, while the TL was based off the Accord that was made and sold for the US market only.

So basically:

TSX = ROTW Accord + $

TL = American Accord + Nicer + $

funny I've been working at Lindsay Acura going on 18 years now, I can tell you I've never seen the 3.5 use oil under NORMAL driving conditions. People who ignore their service intervals or hammer on the car non-stop then yes your gonna see oil consumption on any engine.

Probably a fair statement, I suppose my intent was to advise BStowers to not ignore such intervals because they may have been by previous owners. Being the 3.2, I would imagine he won't have any issues.

I can't really tell you how people have driven their cars, but I know for a fact that the later model j35's have been coming in with misfires, receiving new plugs on fouled cylinders and getting their PGMFI update. Had one around 2 weeks ago with only 11,8xx miles on it come in to get its 'update'.

It may only be prevalent with the motors that have VCM, but I know that I have seen warranty replacements for burning oil and cylinder scoring from 17,000mi and up. Most usually make it to 40 or 50k before being noticeable.

I think that Maintenance minder is a selling tool, but I would not follow its OCI's. Can't count how many 2013 Accord v6's that came in for their audio update and would need oil topped off (.5-1.0 quarts), and the oil life was still up at 40% at 7k+.

Probably a fair statement, I suppose my intent was to advise BStowers to not ignore such intervals because they may have been by previous owners. Being the 3.2, I would imagine he won't have any issues.

I can't really tell you how people have driven their cars, but I know for a fact that the later model j35's have been coming in with misfires, receiving new plugs on fouled cylinders and getting their PGMFI update. Had one around 2 weeks ago with only 11,8xx miles on it come in to get its 'update'.

It may only be prevalent with the motors that have VCM, but I know that I have seen warranty replacements for burning oil and cylinder scoring from 17,000mi and up. Most usually make it to 40 or 50k before being noticeable.

I think that Maintenance minder is a selling tool, but I would not follow its OCI's. Can't count how many 2013 Accord v6's that came in for their audio update and would need oil topped off (.5-1.0 quarts), and the oil life was still up at 40% at 7k+.

I'm not a fan of the maint minder either.

back on oil consumption, the TSX has a major issue, 2004 & up manual transmission TSX's use a lot of oil roughly 1 quart per 800 miles and the 2009-2013 TSX 4 cylinder models have a major problem. Honda's service bulletin on re-ringing the pistons isn't helping in fact its a waste of time, because the car will come back with the same issue, new short block is what takes care of it.

FWIW I normally change my wife's car around 50% on the maintenance reminder which is close to 5,000 miles. Over the winter once when I didn't want to get under it in the garage I let it go down to 20% which was around 7,500 miles.

Haven't had any oil consumption issues on her 3.2 using Mobil 1 for the past 46k miles.