Shipping Firearm to yourself out of Sate...

KillJoy

I am going to be flying to FL later this year, and would like to hit up a Range while there, with a Firearm of my own.

Can I ship from myself, to myself? Or does it need to go to a FFL? Do I need to ship USPS or FedEX / UPS and hold at a Pickup Location?

I would rather not check it on the flight....

KillJoy

TSA approved case and lock is what was once suggested to me.

Is a 'TSA' approved lock ok for stuff other than regular luggage? I know quite a few years ago they stopped allowing locks (even TSA approved) on regular luggage. Any TSA approved locks I've seen are pretty much a joke anyways.

http://www.my-self-defense.com/images/tsa_accepted_locks.jpg

When they still had the bomb sniffers out front, they always asked if they luggage was unlocked. IIRC if you put a lock on it, they will just break it to get in. Again, this is what I understand with regular luggage, not sure if there are different rules for other types.

I travel with test equipment sometimes, if checked it would be nice to be able to lock it up with the knowledge that it can only be unlocked in certain situations, maybe under supervision. It's one thing if TSA goes through my undies, but a whole different story with something more valuable. If they would accidentally break something on my way to a trip, it could be a big problem.

According to this statement here:

The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed.

Your gun case cannot be accessed by anyone but yourself. This means you use real locks, not TSA locks.

I've read people that tend to travel with expensive equipment, like photographers, will fly with a gun strictly so they can toss their expensive equipment into the gun case as well and lock it up tight.

You can ship your rifle to yourself, and only, yourself. I would look into a Pelican hard case and a good set of locks. Pack the pelican in a box (the box it came in). If you ca detach your glass that is usually the best way to roll, else, pack the rifle in the center of the case, glass opposite of hinges.