Homebuilders?

Nate1647545505

I have a couple friends that work for Schumacher Homes. They build a really nice product.

http://www.schumacherhomes.com/

I built with them. They cut corners just like everyone else. Your floors will be uneven. Expect problems with the mechanical stuff they buy because they buy the cheapest.

If you stay on top of them and force them to do things correctly, you will be fine. I am still insulating things they never did but should have. I still have to deal with the squeaky crooked floors.

I built with them. They cut corners just like everyone else. Your floors will be uneven. Expect problems with the mechanical stuff they buy because they buy the cheapest.

If you stay on top of them and force them to do things correctly, you will be fine. I am still insulating things they never did but should have. I still have to deal with the squeaky crooked floors.

That's sux to hear. I expected that kind of problems with cookie cutter houses not custom build unit.

We had Schumacher build out house... call me, I have learned alot about custom home building that you will want to know when going into it.

We pinned Schumacher, Wayne, and KHonovan against each other in order to get the killer price we got.

As far as Schumacher, they build a great house, very energy efficient and no creaks or anything.

Most builders who do custom homes are capable of doing good work. It's just a matter of being there to check every last detail, proper planning, and holding them to deadlines, etc. we just completed a massive custom remodel/addition. I'm happy with the result but would rather not ever do this again. We lived in the house during the job, and it kind of sucked. But I was able to examine everything

I was up Africa Rd. and couldn't find their office? Ended up at a bunch of over priced Golf communities. Berlin Township is a nice area.

Carlo's house is their office. Call them and say that Jim Steelesmith's son pointed you there way

The other thing to keep in mind is the custom builders negotiate a certain amount of work for the prices they get from the subs. So if you want a different kind of furnace, you will pay retail PLUS the builder's upcharge. For instance, I wanted Geo-Thermal heat. The unit would have been $18,000 installed. Take it through the builder, $25,000.

The other thing to keep in mind is the custom builders negotiate a certain amount of work for the prices they get from the subs. So if you want a different kind of furnace, you will pay retail PLUS the builder's upcharge. For instance, I wanted Geo-Thermal heat. The unit would have been $18,000 installed. Take it through the builder, $25,000.

A true custom builder gives you allowances and lets you pick everything. Thats the point of going with a custom builder. Companies lik Wayne and Schumacher are more like tract builders on your lot.

A true custom builder gives you allowances and lets you pick everything. Thats the point of going with a custom builder. Companies lik Wayne and Schumacher are more like tract builders on your lot.

Depends. Our builder gave us allowances for everything, and got quotes from a couple subs at my request. Could have gone with hot water tanks or a boiler, geothermal or heated slab. Of course they have preferred subs, but if you don't like a particular sub there are always options.

Most of the subs get deals at their suppliers. We picked all our plumbing shit at a yuppie plumbing store. We pick out things around our fixture budget, and then the plumber surely gets a cheaper price from that store. If we buy over 10% of the fixtures from lowes or where ever, there's no warranty and there's an up charge

Depends. Our builder gave us allowances for everything, and got quotes from a couple subs at my request. Could have gone with hot water tanks or a boiler, geothermal or heated slab. Of course they have preferred subs, but if you don't like a particular sub there are always options.

Most of the subs get deals at their suppliers. We picked all our plumbing shit at a yuppie plumbing store. We pick out things around our fixture budget, and then the plumber surely gets a cheaper price from that store. If we buy over 10% of the fixtures from lowes or where ever, there's no warranty and there's an up charge

There is no depends. Any true custom builder should work every system and finish around allowances. Tract home builders do not, because it is correct that they will just buy in bulk and work discounts. You should also never lose an allowance. If they give you a $7k allowance, just because you pick HVAC system B, your allowance should stay the same. My father was a custom builder for 30 years.

That being said, a good custom builder will take your wants and needs as well as your price range and work out some hard numbers before they break ground.

Correct... This how it worked when we built our house 18 years ago with Gladmann Builders. My builder is still business and have no issues from them. We installed Geo Thermal also.

Edited by RS69