Cliffs:

- 180k miles

- Blown motor

- Body has some rust on rear quarter by the wheel, plus a few dings and dents

- Car is $1,000

- Another motor is $800 with a 90 day warranty

- Labor to install new motor $400

- Misc gaskets, fluids and such. High estimate of $400

So a total of $2,600 invested. Is this shit bucket worth a decent return and do these heaps actually ever sell? Found a couple bucks I forgot about in my house and instead of tossing into the bank or safe looking at doing this for shits and giggles.

Whats blown about the motor?

Possibly rod knock seller claims

I would just have a new motor put in as $800 is cheap and the place doing the labor warranty the motors they have in stock.

I see a few asking 6+ k with high miles but then I see this and it makes me think not worth my time

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3989895959.html

You could make a few grand. 03-05's are listed everywhere for $6k-$12k, nobody buys '02's.

especially with 200K on the clock (i think brians estimates are high though) and you'll sit on it for a quite some time.

Good ones will sell, but slowly and to the right person... but.. good luck with what you are looking to flip.

Hell this one runs (in VA) and is only 1900 on nasioc

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2536662&highlight=2002+wrx+wagon

Unless you plan on fixing it then running it to the ground as a beater I'd just pass on it. Nobody will pay over a few grand for it being rusty.

Only going to be 2k into it if everything goes well... Sell for 4, double my money sounds nice to be. I don't care if it takes awhile to sell I don't need the money to eat

Looking at buying a 04 wrx wagon to resell quick

Cliffs:

- 180k miles

- Blown motor

- Body has some rust on rear quarter by the wheel, plus a few dings and dents

- Car is $1,000

- Another motor is $800 with a 90 day warranty

- Labor to install new motor $400

- Misc gaskets, fluids and such. High estimate of $400

So a total of $2,600 invested. Is this shit bucket worth a decent return and do these heaps actually ever sell? Found a couple bucks I forgot about in my house and instead of tossing into the bank or safe looking at doing this for shits and giggles.

I just passed on a running 04 Wagon in similar condition for 3k. It seems they only sell quick if clean.

Fucking hipsters

I just passed on a running 04 Wagon in similar condition for 3k. It seems they only sell quick if clean.

Fucking hipsters

Sounds like a good deal

Hipsters love these things, also the freaks in the mountains that wear hiking boots year round here do too

I think the parts investment is a little optimistic. Are you not doing the work yourself?

You would be silly to not do timing belt on a used motor, so if you have wholesale on parts add another $260 for that, how are the lower ball joints, cv shafts, u-joints? Especially @ 180K. May as well toss a clutch in it if manual.

Unless you are looking to sell a mediocre high mileage car with no service history, a motor swap, and rust I think I would pass.