Southeast coastal cities

Tractor

A while back I mentioned my family was thinking about moving to North Carolina. Well now its pretty much confirmed that we will be moving to the south at some point in the next 5 years.

We've mostly ruled out NC, the only reason I'd move their is the wife has a sister near Greensboro, but we hate the area.

I've gotten her talked into living close to the coast and we want to get nicer weather so I've mostly been looking between Little River, SC and Charleston, SC and very close to the ocean, probably no further than the west side of inter-coastal water way.

At the moment I have it narrowed down to;

A) Myrtle Beach metro area (I've got family there)

B) Charleston, SC

Any other idea's? We're looking for city life and weather thats better than Ohio or we'd move to the Outer Banks of NC in a heartbeat.

'Bout the only suggestion I would make is to live in the zone that's a 30-60 minute drive from the coast. Close enough to go any time you like, but far enough away that hurricanes become little more than a reason to throw a kegger (which is what my friends in Coco Beach FL do whenever they're not in the evac zone).

Charleston, SC!! Specifically look at the Daniel Island area. Close enough to the city and beaches as well as close to the airport. My parents are in the process of building a house there and have been there many many times for vacations

I like charleston, though I haven't found cheaper places to live there yet. Seems like you either get a very tiny apartment for under 100k or you get houses at +300k. Not a lot in between so far.

I probably just need to do more research.

Where ever we end up I'm not planning on messing with a nice large house, we have other things we'd prefer to spend money on and have discovered that we aren't homestead type people and would rather be traveling, etc.

Any ideas about Wrightsville, NC? Its a little further north, but if things don't go according to plan I've been in contact with a company down there that would hire me anytime.

Wrightsville is alright, I wouldn't want to live there though. And the cops are really bad there. Were even assholes when I was working with them

Any ideas about Wrightsville, NC? Its a little further north, but if things don't go according to plan I've been in contact with a company down there that would hire me anytime.

I seriously just fell in love with Raleigh, specifically the Lake Jordan area

Destin, Florida my man!!

Holy shit I would lose my mind there with how expensive everything is and how terrible the traffic is. The only part I really liked was the boardwalk.

I seriously just fell in love with Raleigh, specifically the Lake Jordan area

Raleigh is Awesome. I nearly moved there 3 years ago when I was out of work. It's a very "hip" town.

I'm currently vacationing in Savannah GA. its about 20-25 minutes south of Charleston. it's an interesting place if your in to the old coastal city stuff. Beautiful homes and the river front is pretty cool by that's about it.

HOWEVER-

The traffic sucks, people are weird as hell and overly superstitious, the streets and weather are NOT CAR FRIENDLY. The ghetto is everywhere too.

I stopped reading at Charleston. I think I will live there at some point in the next 20 years and hopefully will own real estate in the area sooner than that. We visited there recently, fell in love with the place, and have been doing as much homework on the city, etc. as possible since. Every morning I get real estate listings emailed to me. It's astounding what you can get down there in terms of a home relative to what you can get here. Granted, I think the market is down a bit, but I've really been impressed with what I've seen thus far. Charleston is consistently rated one of, if not the, most livable cities in America.

Yeah, I've been watching it closely as well. I like the fact that it has a "river delta" design built in with so many water front areas. Maybe you know more about the real estate there than I do. I'm looking for cheap as possible because housing is not what we are interested in and are planning to do a lot of traveling year round. I'd like to be near and preferably below 100K for a home.

I stopped reading at Charleston. I think I will live there at some point in the next 20 years and hopefully will own real estate in the area sooner than that. We visited there recently, fell in love with the place, and have been doing as much homework on the city, etc. as possible since. Every morning I get real estate listings emailed to me. It's astounding what you can get down there in terms of a home relative to what you can get here. Granted, I think the market is down a bit, but I've really been impressed with what I've seen thus far. Charleston is consistently rated one of, if not the, most livable cities in America.

Yeah, I've been watching it closely as well. I like the fact that it has a "river delta" design built in with so many water front areas. Maybe you know more about the real estate there than I do. I'm looking for cheap as possible because housing is not what we are interested in and are planning to do a lot of traveling year round. I'd like to be near and preferably below 100K for a home.

I haven't been looking in that price range, so I'm hesitant to speak with any measure of confidence about that area of the real estate in Charleston. However, I'd fear that, kind of like here, you wouldn't be able to get much with $100k. Or, perhaps more specifically, you'll have a hard time finding something suitable in Charleston proper on a $100k budget.

Yeah thats what I'm finding, even 50k gets us more of what we are looking for near myrtle beach.

We have the +3000 sq ft house here and we are done with that way of life and actually moving back to columbus for a couple years before heading south. Saving money, investing and traveling are what we like to do and a large home is a huge drain on resources and takes more time to maintain than we both want to put into it.