Outdoor cat? Good idea?

zeitgeist57

We've discovered in our household that animals haven't worked out since kids came in the picture. Before, my wife and I fostered Weimaraners like it was our job and we loved them. Now, I've killed 2 African Dwarf Frogs within a year and our daughter is still jonesing for a pet.

We have a new neighbor down the street that has 3 cats: Fluffins, Gus-gus, and Mimi. I know their names because my daughter won't shut up about them, but also because I now see them roaming our neighborhood. I've been allergic to cats since college, despite growing up with them in our house since I was a child. In an effort to keep my family happy with the least amount of effort and mess possible, I realize that maybe having an outdoor cat could be a good thing.

PLUSES:

+Kids could feed/water the cat outside, and have a little spot (old playhouse) that could be it's home.

+Rabbits/Chipmunks and other vermin at bay.

+Kids can have a "pet" without the household mess.

MINUSES:

-Possibly pissed-off neighbors if the cats make a mess elsewhere

-CHance that outdoor cats might whine until they become INDOOR CATS.

My thinking might be flawed, but I figure if my neighbor has 3 semi-outdoor cats and farms manage to have barn cats, couldn't I make it work?

Clay, our indoor cat recently became an outdoor cat because she got jealous of the baby and peed on her toys. She's fixed, had all shots, is around 1.5 years old, and is declawed. Gets along great with kids and dogs. She's an impressive mouser for no front claws. If you go this route, maybe we can work something out.

Free Kitten. Not just any kitten, but THE kitten. She's got potential to grow into the best damn cat in the world. Why would I say such a thing? Because her mother is currently the title holder for best damn cat in the world. This kitten is just as crazy and cute as her mom, Dita, when we got her as a kitten. She also looks exactly like her.

Does she have superpowers? Possibly. My guess is she has yet to find out what those powers are and how to put them to good use.

Does she kill rodents or humans? Not yet, but with a little training she could make a nice assassin. Her mother is about as deadly as a cat can get. Mice, moles, birds, you name it she's probably killed it.

Why would I give such an awesome kitten away? There's only room for one assassin cat in this house. Having two would bring their work to a halt. An out of work assassin cat is not a happy cat. With the cold season on its way, the mice are already plotting to squat in your basement, attic or where ever else that fucked up mice like to hide at. Act now before it's too late!

What about her father? Her father is an "on the road" assassin. Sort of a drifter if you will. He's came back twice since planting his seed. We really don't know much about him except he's huge, orange and a bit rough looking. He looks like a mean son of a bitch.

What's her name? She doesn't have a name yet. Our 2 year old simple calls her baby Dita. I'm sure you can come up with a cute name to hide her inner evil from strangers, family, and those pesky mice to avoid them assuming she's all fluff and no meow. She was born June 26th. She's ready for assassin camp.

So what are you waiting for? No interest in owning the current second best damn cat in the world? Do not be afraid. She's harmless to those who love her.

http://i.imgur.com/reJqUJH.jpg

You could make it work until you get them feels one winter night and it's cold and the fam wants to bring it inside. Game over. Permanent indoor/outdoor car at that point.

This right here. Unless you have a farm with a lot of land where that cat is more of a barn cat, sooner or later it will end up indoors. And don't forget, a cat is like a 20 year commitment... :o

MINUSES:

-Possibly pissed-off neighbors if the cats make a mess elsewhere

-CHance that outdoor cats might whine until they become INDOOR CATS.

My thinking might be flawed, but I figure if my neighbor has 3 semi-outdoor cats and farms manage to have barn cats, couldn't I make it work?

Growing up on a farm with lots of barn cats and having a few indoor/outdoor cats another minus that must unfortunately be mentioned is that most wont last very long unless you live in an extremely suburban neighborhood with speed bumps. They tend to get hit by cars frequently and killed by wild animals. That said my parents do have one barn cat that they spayed after a few rounds of kittens and she is still alive to this day- going on 14 years if I remember correctly.

As far as the whining it really depends on the personality of the cat. Some can't wait to go back outside whilst others would rather sleep on the couch all day.

Thanks guys. Between recommendations on here, and my wife who had outdoor cats in UA when she was growing up (with a few horror stories to boot), I'm backing away from the idea. I simply won't allow a cat in our house, and I don't want to introduce the option by bringing an "outdoor" cat that may get "upgraded" at some point.

Appreciate the input.

Glad you went with no cat. Even as an outdoor, your allergies will act up. Not to mention the negative affects that outdoor and stray cats have on the environment. I know most will think I'm sounding like an enviromental hippie, but with a little research, you'd be amazed at their destruction, especially in some areas.

Inside is fine. I personally love cats. My gf is allergic to them, as well. She has to pop a Benadryl whenever we go somewhere with a cat/s.

One more point if allergies are really the deal breaker. Get a Siberian. We have one.

I am very allergic to cats but not *those* cats. Google it.

The Angora I believe is another one.

Couldn't find anything about allergies and the Angora though I fairly certain my uncle had one for that reason. I did come across this. There were many links I saw with a quick google search if you get interested in low-allergen breeds.

http://www.petfinder.com/cats/living-with-your-cat/cats-for-allergy-sufferers/