VW loses $6.25MM per Veyron sold

zeitgeist57

Congrats to everyone whose bought a new Golf R, Passat TDI, Jetta Sportwagen, or Audi product in the past few years...you've all paid for the privledge of some uber-rich dude to own a Bugatti Veyron. :gabe:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/09/daily-chart-18?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/tr/zoomsputteraagghhh

I knew the VW Phaeton was a money loser with all the proper tech/engineering that went into it, but I wasn't prepared for Veyron per-item losses. :lol:

All of these points I understand. In addition, people should realize the "trickle-down" effect engineering a Veyron has/will have on VW products down the line. Same thing with the Phaeton: while all-new, it shared engineering/technology with Bentley/Audi...

Also, if you're interested in a W12 Phaeton, there's one right in Grandview for less than $18k...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=30342&endYear=2014&modelCode1=PHAETON&showcaseOwnerId=1363867&startYear=2001&makeCode1=VOLKS&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=500&maxPrice=20000&mmt=%5BVOLKS%5BPHAETON%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=354844933&Log=0

I would wonder how much of this is conjecture based on how much development cost vs how many they have sold to date, instead of spread over the intended life of the vehicle. Every few months a new article comes out saying how much GM is losing on each Volt, but that's only using sales numbers up to today, not the entire life of the model.

i knew it was a loss, didn't know how much of a loss. geez

Look, I get that it's straight dope....but really, it costs $8.xx million to manufacture each one? That's ridiculous. I mean, at what point do you say, "maybe we should try and be a LITTLE efficient....maybe....."

no... what they expelled in engineering and research vs how many total cars they will produce = that much lost per car. It will all be gains in the end when the research and technical knowledge is applied elsewhere.

no... what they expelled in engineering and research vs how many total cars they will produce = that much lost per car. It will all be gains in the end when the research and technical knowledge is applied elsewhere.

Ok, that makes much more sense. Still, you have the right approach there. "Can we use this tech in other, less expensive cars?" If the answer is "yes", then you just paid for that research...