Cheapest way to hook PC to tv?

hpfiend

Hey all- I have an old game I love need for speed porsche unleashed- I do not currently have any PC laptops or

Desktops that can run it-

All I need is the capability of running directx a CDROM drive and a USB port- oh I guess I need a keyboard and mouse to load the game up-

Windows 95/98

200MHz or faster Intel Pentium MMX, or AMD K6 processor

4X CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive (600K/second transfer rate) using 32-bit Windows 95/98 CD-ROM/DVD driver

150MB free hard disk space

32MB RAM

4MB PCI or AGP video card with full Direct3D support and DirectX 7.0a compatible driver

DirectX 7.0a compatible sound card, mouse, keyboard

RECOMMENDED

300MHz or faster Pentium processor

64MB RAM

8X or faster CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive (1200K/second transfer rate) using 32-bit Windows 95/98 CD-ROM/DVD driver

625MB free hard disk space

8MB PCI or AGP video card with full Direct3D support and DirectX 7.0a compatible driver

Do any of you PC gamers know the cheapest way to do this? Laptop/tower/cube/mini tower etc-

Thanks!

What kinds of connections are on the TV set in question? I've got an 55" RPTV with HDMI connectors, which lets me use a DVI-to-HDMI cable with no special cards or gimmicks. What's on the back of your TV could well determine whether or not it's worth doing, or if you should just buy an older laptop from somewhere and install DOS/Win98/WinXP/whatever the game needs.

Many TV will have a VGA port (think blue-ended monitor cable) and allow you to plug right in.

I don't think you could get your hands on a machine today that doesn't best the game's system requirements. Anything you have should run it.

What kinds of connections are on the TV set in question? I've got an 55" RPTV with HDMI connectors, which lets me use a DVI-to-HDMI cable with no special cards or gimmicks. What's on the back of your TV could well determine whether or not it's worth doing, or if you should just buy an older laptop from somewhere and install DOS/Win98/WinXP/whatever the game needs.

I have a Rptv with HDMI!! Dunno about VGA - I will look

use hdmi that way you dont have to worry about sound.

Video cards with HDMI outputs don't send audio signals.

Something like this can be used from the headphone jack to the receiver/TV:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JGQR4TJML.jpg

If your TV doesn't have a VGA input, you could buy one of these for like $3, plug it into your computer, and run an S-Video or RCA cable for the video. This sends an analog signal, not the greatest for high definition video:

http://www.camerapartsmall.com/pro_images/157.jpg

If your computer only has DVI outputs (no HDMI) and you want the best picture quality, I would go this route. These send a digital signal and support everything out there:

http://www.visionhd.ca/images/dvi-hdmi.jpg or http://www.konecable.com/ZenCart/images/hdmitodvi.jpg

Edited by Not Brian

HDMI and RCA for audio. A cheap $200 or less refurb PC from microcenter would run that game but I doubt they have HDMI out. My TV has VGA input. I just run a normal monitor wire to it and RCA to my stereo. Super easy to hook up.

If you are trying to convert VGA or DVI to HDMI it can be done with converters but they cost. They even make VGA to HDMI that will carry the sound over if you use RCA wire but they are $$$$. I think microcenter sells 1 for $80 but this was over a year ago.

Hdmi does send sound. Got an Asus and an old Hp that'll prove you wrong

You're right, my bad. I messed with this like two years ago and remembered having problems, that's all. Something about hooking it up to my receiver, the video card saw that as the "monitor" and wouldn't send a 1080p signal.. or something. I do know if your video card only has DVI ouputs it won't send sound even if you use an HDMI adapter.

Why not run it on your current laptop? Apparently the 3.5 patch adds Windows XP support which works for windows 7 and 8. You will have to set compat mode most likely but from what im reading it works

Then any modern laptop can run it with out a issue. Most newer laptops have HDMI, Just plug it in and enjoy

My tv does not have a VGA input but surprisingly it does have a PC dvi input (looks like a headphone jack) and an analog audio RCA next to it- do I need a special video card for dvi output?

I only have a Mac laptop currently- I am going to get an old xp machine for the sole purpose of running this game-

Thanks!

My 6950HD has sound through HDMI. Depends on the video card.

The original question depends on what TV you want to use. It might also be limited by the game, being Win95/98 era it may not function on Win7/8 or Vista/XP. Newer video cards likely won't have drivers for pre-7/8 and/or pre-Vista/XP. Lots of variables, etc.

My tv does not have a VGA input but surprisingly it does have a PC dvi input (looks like a headphone jack) and an analog audio RCA next to it- do I need a special video card for dvi output?

I only have a Mac laptop currently- I am going to get an old xp machine for the sole purpose of running this game-

Thanks!

You could just use vmware fusion or parrallas and install xp on your mac if you wanted. Does your mac have HDMI?

You could just use vmware fusion or parrallas and install xp on your mac if you wanted. Does your mac have HDMI?

Whoah ! Now we are talking..... What? I don't think I have HDMI it is a 2011 15" MacBook pro - can I use a USB steering wheel for a PC also on it?

These are DVI cables, none of which look like headphone jacks :)

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/sldldvi.jpg

Sounds like the best way for you to get good a/v would be a DVI-HDMI adapter for video, and RCAs for audio. Do you have a surround sound (or receiver of some kind), or will all connections go straight to the TV?