1969 Mustang Mach I - 428 CobraJet - 4 speed

2011SVT

Just in time for winter! Been reading Rabotnik's book on high performance FE engines :masturboy:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=7345&albumid=853&dl=1381880250http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=853&pictureid=7346http://

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=853&pictureid=7347http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=853&pictureid=7348http://

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=853&pictureid=7350http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=853&pictureid=7349

Ohhhh so many things run through the mind. 427 bored/stroked 'cammer' or big inch 429.....

Maybe I'll just throw a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads on, valves, change the cam and rocker system, new intake/carb, headers and drive the 428 around for a while :)

Car will likely need some sub frame connectors and x brace underneath as well as a shock/spring/mounts upgrade.

yeah it looks complete to me...

Yeah, the guy who restored it originally spent almost $90k on it. I learned: Don't be that guy.

It's beautiful with a few deviations from stock like a Hurst shifter, 1970 exhaust (the transverse mounted '69 muffler sounds like ass), and a 1972 starter solenoid. Things that cost you point deductions in MCA judging but I'm driving not showing :)

I vote just do something small and enjoy it, you have the gt500 to make crazy power on

I agree. I'll make some small mods to just increase drivability/enjoyment but I suppose one racecar at a time should be enough. :lolguy:

Thanks guys!

After doing a more thorough inspection this weekend, I've come up with a decent punch list of minor (hopefully) mechanical, electrical, and cosmetic things that need fixing.

Read the 'list' code from the carb and it's a single feed Holley 750 double pumper with a manual choke. Metering block numbers don't tell you much about jetting without ripping it apart and looking so since the car seems to run ok for now, I'll leave that along until tuning. Size-wize a single 750 should work no problem :)

No smog equipment so we're good there.

Ordered a Hurst Competition Plus shift/install kit to upgrade what's there. Will be very similar to the OEM Hurst in looks but it has about 20% shorter throws and metal vs. rubber bushings that help with the wobble.

Also ordered an MSD 8595 Pro Billet distributor to replace the OEM points/condenser unit. Apparently messing with the curve/springs in the stocker is a pain, this will be cleaner, easier to work on, high spark discharge, yadda yadda.

Need to get a tach so I can figure out what rear gears are in there. Guess I could use the jack it up and count drive shaft/wheel revolutions but I need a tach anyway. Car was built with 3.25s!

Will be ordering a Blue Thunder dual plane intake this week. A little better performance than the Edelbrock but the big problem with the Edelbrock is that the carb pad is in the wrong place to match up to the shaker.

Gotta figure out the header situation.

Ditto the rear. I know I want to go to 4.11s (especially with the close ratio 4 speed) but am considering swapping out the factory carrier for a TrueTrac and a set of Moser axles.

Thinking now I might do the heads with a rebuild of the short block vs. just as a bolt-on. Still waiting for a lot of the restoration paperwork what will tell me what parts were used in the restore rebuild.

• 4 months later...

Suspension parts from Maier Racing.

• Subframe connectors
  • Cross brace
  • Export brace
  • Front coilover conversion
  • Power steering
  • Front/rear sways
  • Panhard
  • Bilstein shocks
  • 200 lb leafs

Hope to get the chassis square and all that on in the next few weeks. I have been completely unmotivated this winter to get out in the garage and do *anything* :(

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb175/2007GTCS_2007/Mach%20I/MachISuspension001.jpg

Cool stuff.

I think this winter has everyone very unmotivated.

+1 Awesome car and horrible winter. I haven't done half of my list that I feel could have been completed in a weekend or two during the spring/summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Put a deposit down on my new engine. Cool thing is it will look/be old school, fit under the shaker, idle well, and run on 93 pump. Here's the build sheet. :)

Ford 427/527 Stroker Build - Survival Motorsports (Barry Rabotnik)

Very similar to this build: http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video-survival-motorsports-fe-526-cube-stroker-makes-621-horsepower/

Shelby 427 FE Block w/Billet Main Caps, Big Bore option

Steel crankshaft - 4.3750 stroke series

Scat H Beam connecting rods - 6.700 long

4130 piston pins

Diamond pistons 4.375 Bore - Target compression 10.6:1

Plasma-Moly piston rings

F-M race bearings

Bypass Hose & Clamps

Damper - Romac alloy outer

Damper Spacer - billet

Oil Filler Caps

Oil Filter Adapter - Billet

20608 Oil Pan - Moroso "T" type - road race

24608 Oil Pump Pickup 1 Oil Pump - high volume

Oil Pump Drive - ARP

Water Pump - Edelbrock

Windage Tray - Canton

Survival Heads - complete

Full prep by Survival Motorsports

2.200/1.710 Stainless Valves, Hyd Roller Springs, Keepers, Locators, Seals

Custom Hydraulic Roller Cam/Lifters

Pushrods - Trend

Rocker Arm Assembly - T&D

Distributor Hold Down - Stainless

Distributor - MSD Billet

Distributor Gear - Crane Steel

Spark Plug wires - MSD - Black

Spark Plugs - Champion Race

Timing Cover -Shelby

Timing Set - Ford Double Roller

Valve Covers - BT "Comp"

Fasteners - ARP - Cam bolt, misc.

Fasteners - ARP - Head Studs for Shelby Block

Fasteners - ARP - Stainless complete external engine

Gaskets - Fel-Pro - Oil Pan

Gaskets - Fel-Pro - Valve Cover

Gaskets - Fel-Pro cylinder head

Gaskets - Intake manifold - Blue Thunder

Gaskets - Remainder to assemble complete engine

FAST xFI System - Includes below items:

Controller - xFI 1 Main Wiring Harness

Injector Wiring Harness

Intake Manifold Blue Thunder High Rise

Throttle Body - four barrel 4500

Fuel Rail Kit - Edelbrock

50 pound Fuel Injectors - FAST

Fuel Injection Plumbing - Braided and fittings

Sensors - MAP, Temperature, etc.

Cradle for shipping

Bore & Hone with torque plates, line hone, cam tunnel Parallel deck, Install cam bearings, lifter bores, etc.

Balancing with mallory - included with kit Assembly - Complete engine

Port Match Intake

Dyno Testing & Break In

The place where your pictures were taken, is that the shop that specifically works on Boss's? If so, awesome shop and great people.

Yes, Rick and his guys have been great. You feel like you ought to have to pay an admission fee to go to his shop it is so full of vintage Mustang awesomeness.

I felt like I was trying to adopt a child just buying the Mach. We finally settled on, "You can't paint it pink, install a roll cage, or tub it". Ok ;)

I've put together a cruise and open house for BuckeyeStangs and Mustang Club of Ohio on May 10th that starts at PPC and ends at Signature Auto (Boss Cars) where Rick is also serving us lunch. You guys would be welcome. Maybe I'll start a new thread in the appropriate space.

Yes, Rick and his guys have been great. You feel like you ought to have to pay an admission fee to go to his shop it is so full of vintage Mustang awesomeness.

I felt like I was trying to adopt a child just buying the Mach. We finally settled on, "You can't paint it pink, install a roll cage, or tub it". Ok ;)

I've put together a cruise and open house for BuckeyeStangs and Mustang Club of Ohio on May 10th that starts at PPC and ends at Signature Auto (Boss Cars) where Rick is also serving us lunch. You guys would be welcome. Maybe I'll start a new thread in the appropriate space.

I have been there a couple times for an open house. Amazing cars in that shop and they some really good work. Might have to come and check it out again.

Excited to see the progress of this car. Not messing around.

I have been there a couple times for an open house. Amazing cars in that shop and they some really good work. Might have to come and check it out again.

Excited to see the progress of this car. Not messing around.

Yeah, doing a fair bit to the suspension and driveline obviously. Should still look stock outside and even the interior unless you're an expert (The shifter will be subtly different for the faceplated TKO600 and I'm putting in a RetroSound2 audio head unit into the spot where the broken Philco AM radio is now, putting in modern 3 point belts but using stock style hardware, switching to a Shelby center console, 14" Feroce wheel, etc. - but I think nothing which will look out of place.)

After you are done we can pitch this to Streetlegaltv.com as a feature car if you like...

That would be cool. Might be worthy at that point. :)

I know I will be sorely tempted to put a set of DRs on it and take it to the track. I know also I can rely on my friends here to help me make a mature and rational decision.

Yeah, doing a fair bit to the suspension and driveline obviously. Should still look stock outside and even the interior unless you're an expert (The shifter will be subtly different for the faceplated TKO600 and I'm putting in a RetroSound2 audio head unit into the spot where the broken Philco AM radio is now, putting in modern 3 point belts but using stock style hardware, switching to a Shelby center console, 14" Feroce wheel, etc. - but I think nothing which will look out of place.)

That would be cool. Might be worthy at that point. :)

I know I will be sorely tempted to put a set of DRs on it and take it to the track. I know also I can rely on my friends here to help me make a mature and rational decision.

You don't go to hell or catch an STD putting drag radials on a car and going to the race track so I see no issue...