Need recommendations on Sub 6K winter/haul vehicle

hpfiend

Hey all-

What would you guys recommend in the sub 6K price range? Doesn't necessarily have to be four wheel drive or all wheel drive but if front wheel drive definitely needs good ground clearance. Leaning towards suv's and wagons for the extra room to haul.

My 1999 v6 4x4 explorer was great for me which I bought in 08 with 113K and just sold with 163K.

Not too crazy about the reliability ratings on the next generation explorer and the 06-10 are too expensive for this vehicle.

Expeditions are looking good but it seems like they have transmission issues in certain years.

Thanks!

:thumbup:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114958

1999 Ford Explorer Specs Specifications. ... Ground Clearance, 6.7 in,

eatures and Specs for the 2006 Subaru 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Impreza on Edmunds.com. ... (175.4 in.) GROUND CLEARANCE 0 ft. 6.3 in. (6.3 in.).

Sooo I hear you are looking for a truck (nudge nudge)

Just kidding, looks like you'd like an SUV. Does MPG matter to you? What about something like a CRV/Pilot, we have 2 CRV's and love them. Subies look like a good option as well. Minivan maybe? not stylish but can certainly haul a heck of a lot more then the other options.

I knew 2 people with expeditions (one with a 98, the other with a 99) that both had pretty major problems. The 98 (5.4) popped a head gasket at 98k (driven easily ~3 miles a day) and the other (4.6) the trans took a shit at 110k. Also they drive like a bus, and have a very disconnected feel to the steering (overpowered). Personally I would not recommend an expedition. How about a Durango, or a 4 runner? Both have plenty of room (3rd row seating). I know the Durango's aren't known for strong tranny's, but I think they got better after a couple years.

I'll chuck up a vote for a 4 Runner, my 97 I have had for 4 years and driven the hell out of it with almost no problems at all. Currently at 202,000 she cranks drives and stops like a champ. That generation is an incredible machine whether you want to do it as a winter beater, off roader, whatever. MPG isn't great you are typically in the 15-19 range depending on driving. You should easily be able to find one of that generation for 4-5k

I'd get a `99-04 grand cherokee. Nice to drive/ride in and can tow when you need to. I'd get the I-6 and a selectrac transfer case for simplicity and slight gas mileage increase.

As soon as I'm no longer in a job where I drive everyday I'll be taking a serious look at one again. I drove one from 80-250K and loved every minute of it except for the gas mileage.

Thanks all-

Ok, expedition out, appreciate your input...

Range Rover for 3K ? Don't they have a lot of problems?

I do like the 4runners but they rust like crazy and I couldn't find one with less than 180K in my price range last time I looked...

On the durango- not really a fan of dodge and their truck reliability/power/mpg ratings unless the cummins models and they aren't cheap...

On the ambulance- while the kids would love it, I don't know if that would go over in the neighborhood ;)

That sounds like a good deal on the subaru, thanks for sharing. I think we need a wagon though for the hauling space and our 2 kids.

Don't the 99-04 I6 cherokees have transmission problems- did you have any with yours?? I love the XJ's but they are getting really old and rusty- I was looking for an 01-04 Grand Cherokee selectrac V8 for a while as they have the cummins heavy truck transmissions in them but they were too expensive around 120K and under and hard to find with the selectrac.

I looked at the CRV's and again with under 120K hard to find in this price range..

I am trying to stick with 01 and newer models as the LATCH car seat system is soo much easier...I would obviously prefer under 100K but that doesn't look possible either so I am trying for 120K.

Really strongly considering the 01-04 Subaru Outback LL Bean with the H6 but so far they have been hard to find...

Thanks for all the suggestions...

Yeah most V8's are going to have the quadratrac in them. Mine did fine up to 250K then the transfer case exploded. Easy to swap, but by then I was tired of the gas mileage and at my job I shouldn't have been driving anything under 25mpg really.

The selectrac is the basic transfer case set up, 2HI, 4HI, N, 4LO. Any other transfer case and your in fulltime 4x4/AWD.

4 Runners in that generation have a few rust areas they basically ALL rust in largely all over the rear gate and the chrome bumpers. You can swap those out easily and cheaply though so not a big deal, I'm doing the same thing on mine in the next week or so already have all the new pieces. The other nice thing is parts availability is gorgeous, can find parts for the 3.4 V6 just about anywhere and the pricing isn't terrible really on any of it. Mine just completed ANOTHER move this past week and is no worse for the wear, can't wait for the snow to start falling to go play!