Marion

Hilliard

London

Wilmington

New Albany

Zanesville

Lancaster

Washington CH

http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-_jrjnda-prodid-525-toplvl-2-catid-2-subcat-2-catprods-38.aspx

The slightly more powerful one for $199

http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-_jrjnda-prodid-526-toplvl-2-catid-2-subcat-2-catprods-38.aspx

How much cutting are you looking to do? I picked one up a few months ago, just to clear things out around the property. I'm no logger. I freaking love how handy having it has been though. I knew I didn't need anything heavy duty, so I picked up a Poulan. New, from Home Depot, they are $150. I think that is pretty fair price for a new one. I'd be worried on a cheaper, used one and it not lasting as long a this one.http://www.homedepot.com/p/Poulan-PRO-18-in-42-cc-Gas-Chainsaw-PP4218AVX/202367634#.UoTZRfmsgk0

Planning to do quite a bit of cutting. I have about 10 full size hardwoods around the house and neighbors, and there's a good chance it will end up on the farm in Athens occasionally.

I know the stihls would be a good purchase, but that 18" poulan looks pretty good to.

For me the thing that wins me over would be the fact that the JD Equipment stores are Stihl Service Centers. They can do warranty work and any service that needs done. Trust me, it will need service.

Planning to do quite a bit of cutting. I have about 10 full size hardwoods around the house and neighbors, and there's a good chance it will end up on the farm in Athens occasionally.

I know the stihls would be a good purchase, but that 18" poulan looks pretty good to.

I grew up cutting wood lots in Vermont. Given what you've said, buying used wouldn't even be an option. I'd buy a new one and I'd be sure it was a beast with a great service/warranty/ guarantee. I think the Poulan might be ok, But I would really lean toward a make that can be service easily, like JL said. This is a tool I would buy name brand on for the work you're going to do with it. Poulan has been around. I just can't say I have seen them in what I would say it more than medium use environments.

Spend around $200 now on a good saw, and save yourself $250 in trips to return/replace, get aprts, donw time from cutting.

I agree, I've grown up on Stihl and a few husqies , just thought maybe I could find one of those "used one time, then found out I can't run a chainsaw" units.

Worth a shot, but heading out to buy new this weekend if nothing turns up.

I appreciate all the help guys

I collect old chainsaws. I can guarantee that you can find a good used chainsaw for between $20-40 which you can use for many years to come. If you find one that doesn't run, it's usually a good carb cleaning away from being a great saw.

best deal out there is the $179 Stihl they sell at JD Power Sales

This is what I would buy. My stihl has treated me well. I have the farm boss with a 16" bar that will take a 18 bar if I want. Bought mine used at a pawn shop. If you know what you are looking at buy used ,if not buy new. 179.99 is hard to beat.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/1fstws6/IMG_20130818_192340_734_zps9695af3c.jpg

I pretty much agree with everyone here. I have a poulan and a stihl. Bought the poulan new, it OK. The stihl is probably from the 80s. My father in law gave it to me. It is a much much better saw than the poulan. I would say if you are going to invest in a new one go for stihl.

that's a pretty good deal on that stihl saw.....if I was in the market for one that's the one I would buy. That being said I currently have a 16" poulan that I've had for 12 years. I've ran a ton of wood through that thing every year and it runs flawlessly. I've had to do some work to it here and there but chainsaws are really easy to work on and parts are very cheap. If you cut any amount of wood you're going to have to work on them all at some point. The bigger saws come in pretty handy but IMO for most work a 16" is about right. My buddy has a 20" MAC from the early 80's that's a work horse but what a pain in the ass to lug it around because it's so heavy. Doesn't take long bending over running that thing until your back feels it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a name brand used saw because of how easy it is to fix them. For example.....last year I needed to clean the carb on mine. Looked at jackssmallengines.com and a brand new carb was $20. Sold.

• 2 weeks later...
bumping for the OP.....tractor supply has an 18" 42cc poulan pro on sale today and Friday for $99. That's a pretty good deal. I'm thinking about buying one myself. The only thing that kinda causes me concern is that motor size. My current 16" poulan has a 38cc motor so it's only 4cc more to drive 2 more inches of bar. My saw right now has plenty of balls but with another 2" of bar I'd like to at least have a 50-55cc motor on it.