Problems with wifi/router/wireless bullshit

2 Sweet

OK, computers piss me off and I don't know shit about fixing internet connections, so maybe one of you smart folks can help me out. Here's the jist of it:

-We have WOW cable internet, always works great

-Until today, when internet stopped working

-Our laptops say we're still connected, signal strength excellent

-Web pages won't load for any of us

-We unplug a bunch of bullshit, restart computers, etc

-Still doesn't work

-Plug ethernet cable into buddy's laptop, hey the internet works

-I plug the ethernet cable from the modem into a different port on the router

-"Repair" internet connection on my laptop

-Sweet! Wifi internet now works perfect on my laptop

-Damn. Still doesn't work for my roommates laptops, or our phones

-Buddy's laptop w/ Windows 7 is connected but says "no internet access"

We figured the router went bad, but why would it start working on my laptop but nothing else??? What do I do next?

Had a similar issue with Wow over the weekend dropping my internet connection. After resetting my stuff we called them and they said it was on their end. Then it happened again. We haven't had them long but my wife is ready to switch again.

If there are connection problems you usually will want to unpower your modem, router, and computers then start your modem for 45 secs, power your router on, then power your computers on. That fixes most problems. You can also (depending on your operating system) use cmd to do "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" to see if that solves the problem.

How old is the router? When they start going bad (1-2 years on average with me) the wireless connection says you are connected but no wireless. Another symptom in my experience is rebooting the router for a few minutes magically makes all wireless devices work again for a day. Maybe you need a new router?

Had a similar issue with Wow over the weekend dropping my internet connection. After resetting my stuff we called them and they said it was on their end. Then it happened again. We haven't had them long but my wife is ready to switch again.

same thing, but it seemed like I was being throttled. I was connected but had .5mb speeds. went to work came back and was about to call WoW when it started working fast again.

If you have Ultra TV and you are using their "gateway" with the wireless built in, it sucks donkey balls. I bypassed it and I'm running my linksys router then into the gateway.

No fancy shit here, just regular shit and my own modem and router. Worked great when it was hooked to AT&T.