[serious] looking for opinions on cellular networks and switching.

Murse

Great thread. My wife and I are with Verizon and I'm looking to move to a different provider. They are raping us on the bill. I think we have the 2GB plan, which we don't go over, and our bill is like $170 a month I think. Fucking stupid!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to live in Powell, T-Mo has great service there, HSPA+ & LTE. I lose LTE just north of Home Rd.

Well that's where I live, just north of Home. It really isn't a problem to lose that for data, as long as I can get my wife to turn on her wi-fi when she's home. She never remembers now, but we're in no danger of going over our data plan.

I've been to Powell with T-Mobile recently and was on LTE all over the area, including near your house. I tested it there and got 32MB down.

Anyone have T-Mobile in Powell? :confused: I'm with Verizon and while the service has been fine, I'm always looking for ways to save money... :)

How many gigs do you use a month? I feel like I am ALWAYS on my phone and using Data and only rarely do I personally use over 2gig...

-Marc

T mobile doesn't count your 2g data usage, and my experience has been you are never on 3g with them, so they only count your 4g usage. I've been using between 1 and 2 gigs a month. I think last month I used 600 megs

Well that's where I live, just north of Home. It really isn't a problem to lose that for data, as long as I can get my wife to turn on her wi-fi when she's home. She never remembers now, but we're in no danger of going over our data plan.

You wouldn't lose data entirely, just lose 4g

I'm contemplating switching to a monthly plan. T-Mo has a $30 per month plan that you can only get online or at Walmart where you get unlimited text and data (5gb 4g cap) and 100 minutes talk. I'm still grandfathered in on a truely unlimited data plan so that's the only reason I'm afraid to switch.

I'm contemplating switching to a monthly plan. T-Mo has a $30 per month plan that you can only get online or at Walmart where you get unlimited text and data (5gb 4g cap) and 100 minutes talk.

I have a good friend who has that plan and it's really annoying, he will never answer his phone because he doesn't have enough minutes. I think you can buy more, pay more if you go over? But he just doesn't want to.

I'm curious, but WTF are you doing where you're using that much data?

Not sure if that question was directed at me or not, but I don't use that much data 99% of the time. I'm on wifi most of the time anyway, but it's just nice to know that I don't have to worry about it. Like if I go on a road trip, I can use Maps the entire time and listen to music from the cloud or watch HBO Go/Netflix/YouTube as much as I want. Or god forbid, if I need to VPN into work.

I have a good friend who has that plan and it's really annoying, he will never answer his phone because he doesn't have enough minutes. I think you can buy more, pay more if you go over? But he just doesn't want to.

Hmmm...I really don't talk on the phone much, but I can see it being annoying. Like my previous comment about data, it feels good not to have to worry about your minutes. It will bring me down from $70/m to $30, and that's a big difference.

It's 10 cents a minute over the 100 allotted minutes. If you are on that plan you would have to talk for 400 minutes in a month to catch up to the $60 unlimited talk/text/2.5 gigs plan. There are also ways to do voice over IP to use data instead of minutes but I'd rather spend the money and not have to fuck around with all that.

I'm on the T-Mobile $30 Wal-Mart plan. I've been on it for over a year now.

I use VOIP and am happy as hell with paying $30/month. Nobody ever gets my actual #, hell i barely remember it myself. I use google voice with a 3rd party app and while it's not perfect all the time. It works perfectly 90% of the time and i don't talk on the phone more than 200 minutes a month anyway. There is no way in hell i'm switching.

I've been to Powell with T-Mobile recently and was on LTE all over the area, including near your house. I tested it there and got 32MB down.

Excellent, thanks Anthony! :D What do you pay, and how many phones are on your plan? :confused:

I'm curious, but WTF are you doing where you're using that much data?

http://wease.net/pics/daff.gif

Not sure if that question was directed at me or not, but I don't use that much data 99% of the time. I'm on wifi most of the time anyway, but it's just nice to know that I don't have to worry about it. Like if I go on a road trip, I can use Maps the entire time and listen to music from the cloud or watch HBO Go/Netflix/YouTube as much as I want. Or god forbid, if I need to VPN into work.

Directed at OP.

I watch a lot of netflix while working and a lot of YouTube that eats a lot.

Why would you watch Netflix on Cellular Data?

Yes, you can set it up to automatically renew if you like. I like to use cards from Giant Eagle though. That way i get gas discounts at the same time.

Do you have to manually renew the plan once a month or can you set it up to automatically renew just like a contract would?

@farkas i do most video streaming through my phone because speeds are alot faster then home wifi. netflix, youtube, and music streaming as well.

my wifi here is via an AT&T LTE USB adapter plugged into my Cradlepoint then AirPort. once another person in on the wifi it bogs down and speeds suffer. so i only use wifi here if im downloading an app that i have to connect to wifi. with all our computers, laptops, ipads and the appletv as well as xbox, it doesnt take much to slow it down. if someone offered highspeed where im at none of this would be an issue. if i have to download something large i do it at my wifes shop where we have uverse.

AT&Ts MyATT site is down right now ill post a screen shot of my data usage once its up.