[serious] looking for opinions on cellular networks and switching.

Murse

Yes, you can set it up to automatically renew if you like. I like to use cards from Giant Eagle though. That way i get gas discounts at the same time.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-K1FIKvI6UqA/UXca7l4MbWI/AAAAAAAABD8/BCS-LoQobO8/s1600/southpark_nice.png

Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an unlimited 4GLTE Data plan with unlimited everything else on VZ. With TMo you will find that they don't have much 4G coverage, you have to be in a population dense area most of the time. With VZ, CDMA for cell means you get to make phone calls. Tmo seems to drop a bit.

I would ask for a 45 day trial period. Bake-off style.

CDMA for cell means you get to make phone calls. Tmo seems to drop a bit.

Are you implying that GSM drops phone calls and CDMA does not? That is not correct. GSM is superior to CDMA.

GSM however can handle voice and data at the same time, where CDMA can not (LTE is a different story). CDMA can only do 160 characters for SMS, GSM unlimited. CDMA is constantly connected to a tower, where GSM only connects when needed, making it much more battery friendly.

@farkas i do most video streaming through my phone because speeds are alot faster then home wifi. netflix, youtube, and music streaming as well.

my wifi here is via an AT&T LTE USB adapter plugged into my Cradlepoint then AirPort. once another person in on the wifi it bogs down and speeds suffer. so i only use wifi here if im downloading an app that i have to connect to wifi. with all our computers, laptops, ipads and the appletv as well as xbox, it doesnt take much to slow it down. if someone offered highspeed where im at none of this would be an issue. if i have to download something large i do it at my wifes shop where we have uverse.

AT&Ts MyATT site is down right now ill post a screen shot of my data usage once its up.

No wonder AT&T is throttling you...

If you want your phone to act as a "hot spot," then set it up to do exactly that. Otherwise, I think you're an idiot for complaining that they're giving you a hard time about mobile data usage. It's a phone, not a personal computer.

You can change providers, but anymore I think you'll find just about any carrier will eventually be throttling you by some margin. If not now, they will be shortly since that always seems to be the trend once one company begins that movement.

im not using my phone as a hotspot. the LTE connected to my wifi is a separate account that i dont pay for, for work.

when at t-mo the sales chick told me i could get 2.5gb for hotspot usage with my phone as well. i dont remember if that was included with the unlimited plan or not.

From the small print on T-Mo's website:

Smartphone Mobile Hotspot (Tethering/Wi-Fi Sharing): Qualifying service required. Plan data allotment applies; Unlimited 4G data includes 2.5 GB of tethering.

You only get 50 megs of roaming data though, regardless of how it's used.

A note on the $30 plan...

It's only offered when you are first signing up online. Once you are signed up, there's no trace of it to be found. So decide which one you want before you make it that far.

$30 a month - 100 minutes, free text, 5 gigs

$50 a month - unlimited minutes/text, 500 megs

$60 a month - unlimited minutes/text, 2.5 gigs

$70 a month - unlimited everything

There's also about $5 taxes and BS on top of that. If you want the fuel points you can get refill cards at Kroger or (I assume) Giant Eagle.

Simple and easy way to decide what you need with the top 4 companies...

-If you stay in the city... go with Sprint or T-Mobile and save money.

-If you travel outside the city frequently and need a stronger data signal in more places use ATT or Verizon.

-If you travel outside the city a lot but don't need high speed data and/or saving is more important pick T-Mobile or Sprint.

-If you go to select places for extended periods check that area to see who covers it.. then choose them.

-If you are rich and don't care get Verizon or ATT.

Simple and easy way to decide what you need with the top 4 companies...

-If you stay in the city... go with Sprint or T-Mobile and save money.

-If you travel outside the city frequently and need a stronger data signal in more places use ATT or Verizon.

-If you travel outside the city a lot but don't need high speed data and/or saving is more important pick T-Mobile or Sprint.

-If you go to select places for extended periods check that area to see who covers it.. then choose them.

-If you are rich and don't care get Verizon or ATT.

Sprint drove the Titanic straight into the iceberg. They drop calls EVERYWHERE now, and their data is almost entirely unusable. Them, along with their million MVNOs shouldn't be considered as an option.

If you want cheap and reliable but don't mind a coverage map that isn't the biggest, go with T-Mobile.

If you need coverage everywhere and don't mind spending the money, flip a coin between ATT and Verizon.

If you need coverage everywhere and don't use a ton of data and don't want to spend the money, get an unlocked GSM phone and get Straight Talk on the ATT network.

Sprint drove the Titanic straight into the iceberg. They drop calls EVERYWHERE now, and their data is almost entirely unusable. Them, along with their million MVNOs shouldn't be considered as an option.

If you want cheap and reliable but don't mind a coverage map that isn't the biggest, go with T-Mobile.

If you need coverage everywhere and don't mind spending the money, flip a coin between ATT and Verizon.

If you need coverage everywhere and don't use a ton of data and don't want to spend the money, get an unlocked GSM phone and get Straight Talk on the ATT network.

Sprints network ranks just above average when pulling the data (This is among all cell phone carriers not just the top 4). The success of call termination, dropped call ratio, and successful data transfer is less than the other three and even Metro PCS in some instances overall. However, when you drill it down to specific areas they are able to put up respectful numbers in major cities. With their customer base, history, and ability to negotiate tower usage from others companies they will stay in the mix for a while. If it works at your house, on the way to work, and at work that's enough for a lot of people... and with Sprint that's about all they will give you at this point.

Sprints network ranks just above average when pulling the data (This is among all cell phone carriers not just the top 4). The success of call termination, dropped call ratio, and successful data transfer is less than the other three and even Metro PCS in some instances overall. However, when you drill it down to specific areas they are able to put up respectful numbers in major cities. With their customer base, history, and ability to negotiate tower usage from others companies they will stay in the mix for a while. If it works at your house, on the way to work, and at work that's enough for a lot of people... and with Sprint that's about all they will give you at this point.

All three of those in bold simply stopped working for me one day. 3 months later it was still shit, so I paid the ETF to run the fuck away after being a loyal customer for 11 years. I was dropping calls across downtown Columbus, I was suddenly going into roaming in Grove City less than a mile from the I-70/I-270 interchange, and could no longer make a call anywhere in all of Johnstown where I live. Having to use a hacked PRL to force my phone into roaming to make a successful phone call at my house is 100% unacceptable.

All three of those in bold simply stopped working for me one day. 3 months later it was still shit, so I paid the ETF to run the fuck away after being a loyal customer for 11 years. I was dropping calls across downtown Columbus, I was suddenly going into roaming in Grove City less than a mile from the I-70/I-270 interchange, and could no longer make a call anywhere in all of Johnstown where I live. Having to use a hacked PRL to force my phone into roaming to make a successful phone call at my house is 100% unacceptable.

Oh yeah.. the dummies where testing all kinds of things around Columbus. I think they have moved on to messing up Pittsburg right now lol.

Yes. They have been converting their towers market by market. There are stories of people dropping calls for longer than that while they work on their infrastructure.

I'm no expert, but I think there has got to be some way to upgrade without driving all of your customers away in the process.

I'm no expert, but I think there has got to be some way to upgrade without driving all of your customers away in the process.

Yep, having enough towers, money, and man power to make it minimal... They don't have that. They are basically trying to change a tire on a moving car.