suspension help

The_buster

The maxima has a broken right rear coil spring, how dangerous/ bad is that? I wont be able to fix it till tax time and who knows how long its been like that. I have been thinking about lowering it a little, nothing crazy or slammed just an inch or two. Can I just put lowering springs on it or do I need a full coil over setup to be safe? I also need alot of front end work as well so I was planning an all at once thing. I put the car on the lift at work and thats when we found all of this. I need both cv boots, they said whole shafts since the grease is about gone, and all four tierod ends as well as an alignment.
  • Downvote 1

If you can't afford to fix one coil spring you could get at a junkyard for $15-20, then how do you expect to buy lowering springs and dampeners.

Don't even bother lowering it.

In order to run lowering springs, you must also change out the shocks and struts for units that will work with the lowering springs. If you put the lowering springs on the stock units you'll blow them out in no time.

Save your money and just replace the bad spring, and possibly the blown shock you have now.

Dangerous? Yes.

Bad? Probably blew the shock.

I suggest keeping the car off the road until you get the tie-rods and etc. fixed. You're a rolling hazard on wheels.

Buy whole car. You're shit is all falling apart so I doubt the broken coil spring is any more unsafe then loose tie rods, just try not to kill anone else when you're shit fails going down the road.

People like you make me wish Ohio had safety inspections so I wouldn't have to share the road with unsafe piles of shit. Just stop driving that shit.

Sounds like you're on a budget. Cut a few coils off your springs, zip tie those cv boots together and don't worry about an alignment. You may get lucky and accidentally end up with a lot of negative camber. If you do, it means your Maxima has now evolved into a Honda which means it will never break and run forever. Cheers OP.
  • Upvote 2

Sounds like you're on a budget. Cut a few coils off your springs, zip tie those cv boots together and don't worry about an alignment. You may get lucky and accidentally end up with a lot of negative camber. If you do, it means your Maxima has now evolved into a Honda which means it will never break and run forever. Cheers OP.

Wow what great advice :rolleyes:

Yet another reason why we need safety inspections.

"I've got six posts...and even I know that this is fucking dumb".

We were already budgeting money to fix both cars. Hers just needs an alignment. I dont want to get rid of it if I dont really have to.

If that shit is going to drive itself into a freezing pond while you or someone you love is driving or riding in it, then you fucking have to.

For the money you'll spend fixing everything on that shitbox just to make it safe, you could buy something better/nicer that needs little/no work

Really? $20-30 per a/m tie rod, $50 per a/m cv axle, and $100 for a set of a/m coils ≠ price of reliable vehicle

Kid asks a question, obviously doens't know what he wants or is doing, but gets no help. :dumb: Get the loose parts fixed first. Depends on where/how the spring broke, but you can probably get by on that until you get everything else fixed.

Kid asks a question, obviously doens't know what he wants or is doing, but gets no help. :dumb: Get the loose parts fixed first. Depends on where/how the spring broke, but you can probably get by on that until you get everything else fixed.

He obviously knows the parts need replaced, what fucking help is he asking for? "Can I drive my broken car?" How is anyone supposed to answer that?

You got the answer, CR says fix it the right way. Get the parts, if you need assistance feel free to ask then.

This is the tech section, replies are supposed to be helpful, this thread has run it's course.

This is the Tech section of CR. If your car is broken down, or if you need help/advice installing new parts or tuning, you're in the right place. Please try to follow these basic guidelines when posting in this section.

Before you even post, please visit the sticky placed at the top of this forum for help with the basic's.

1) When posting a question in this section, be sure to include as much information as you can. List the make, model, trim level, and year of your car. Also include a detailed description of the problem.

2) When replying to a question, try to include only accurate information. If you're making an educated guess, state so. If you don't know how to fix the problem or answer the question don't make a reply.

3) If your question is not answered you may bring it to the top of the forum by giving it a "bump." (posting in a topic automatically brings it to the top of the forum)

4) Once your issue is resolved, please make a post stating so.

5) As stated before, this is the Tech section. If you create a topic that does not belong in this section it will be moved to the correct section of Columbus Racing.

6) If you don't have anything nice to say, hit your browser's back button. This is a place where people search for help. Insults and flaming will not be tolerated in this section. Anyone who violates this rule will have their post edited/deleted and will receive a strike.

If you have a question about this forum or would like to report a person or post, please contact this forum's moderator: Cordell or contact an Admin.

Lots of us like to help, just help us to help you.