House theft - it's a real thing

copperhead

Sounds like some Sovereign Citizen, Freeman-on-the-Land bullshit.

This.

How is this not breaking and entering

Cops that first responded didn't know who was the real owner. That guy had very quickly gotten an ID with that address on it. They kicked it to the courts to figure out as a civil matter.

I'd shoot him without a second thought

^^ this. there wouldn't be a news story as there wouldn't be any conversation had about anything. BANG, BANG!! , thud, police called, lawyer called, maid service called. I suppose I would be curious as to who the fucker was but only curious as not a real fuck would be given.

The more I read the more it sounds like the guy normally tries to target houses in foreclosure, and that one was a mistake. Yet, the guy is a nutcase, so he won't back off. Once again, looks to me like he's really just trying to have free housing.

Squatter laws really need to be less nice.

I recall something like this happening in texas last year, but i thought you had to have the house empty over like 120 days or something and then you have to get the utilities in your name and such before they can even consider doing squatters rights.

From what i read of the story it made it sound like they were out of town over a wekend for a funeral... I feel like there is a ton of info missing here.

Anyways.. the story has been updated, dude has been arrested..

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/man-arrested-accused-of-trying-to-gain-ownership-of-abandoned-homes/-/13550662/23255240/-/v7whddz/-/index.html

SPRINGDALE, Ohio —He's accused of breaking into abandoned homes, changing the locks and then claiming the houses are his.

CASE OF 'QUIET TITLE' HOUSE TAKEOVERS DRAWS QUESTIONS

There is new information Tuesday night about a WLWT investigation.

A family went out of town only to return home to find a man had moved into their home and changed the locks. And this wasn't the first time this has happened. WLWT News 5's Karin Johnson investigates if the move is legal and what the homeowners can do to get back into their home.

A WLWT investigation uncovered a dozen cases linked to the same guy, and Wednesday, Robert Carr was arrested.

Less than a week after WLWT introduced our investigation, both Springdale and Forest Park police have filed criminal charges against Carr for breaking and entering and theft.

“When you abandon something, you forfeit all your rights and title to it, and title is not a piece of paper, title is when you grab it and say 'Mine,'” Carr said.

The game of finders-keepers could be over for Carr.

He's now charged with three counts of breaking and entering and three counts of theft involving a few houses, two in Springdale and one in Forest Park.

One of the homes related to his arrest is the one we focused on in our investigation.

A family returned to the house that it was letting go into foreclosure to find locks had been changed, and not by the bank.

In fact, Carr even filed a "quiet title," claiming the property is now his.

“They would like for this just to be over,” the family’s attorney Alison Warner said.

Warner filed a motion to dismiss the case for failure to state a claim.

“The most disturbing part in this ordeal is this family has had to retain an attorney and had to have someone come in and take care of this, speak with them frequently, file these motions on their behalf to make sure there's not a default judgment,” Warner said.

While this one family defends itself, our investigation found Carr filed quiet titles on 10 other homes.

“He would have to have some ownership rights to the property in order to have standing with this case,” real estate attorney John Yonas said.

WLWT asked Yonas to take a look at the documents Carr filed in his quiet title action.

“In order for him to basically get squatters rights in Ohio, he would have to follow the adverse possession standard, which is 21 years,” Yonas said.

Those documents would show that for 21 years, he has exclusively and continuously occupied a home.

“I don't see the guy having any grounds to win,” Yonas said.

And if Carr is hoping for a default judgment where the other party doesn't fight him, Yonas said he would be shocked if a court would actually go forward with one based on these filings.

WLWT did reach out to Carr's court-appointed attorney but our call was not returned.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/man-arrested-accused-of-trying-to-gain-ownership-of-abandoned-homes/-/13550662/23255240/-/v7whddz/-/index.html#ixzz2mQ4Oug9j

I still would have shot him dead. Dead people can't tell their story.