RWD in the snow

Stretch

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why I have AWD and a set of snow tires for it. Was driving down the highway today like a BOSS. 80mph was no problem. Passing the slow people, wish they'd just stay off the road.

this is ohio you need AWD or 4x4, otherwise stay in the house.

Can you explain how your awesome AWD or even 4X4 helps you stop better?

Thats why I have AWD and a set of snow tires for it. Was driving down the highway today like a BOSS. 80mph was no problem. Passing the slow people, wish they'd just stay off the road.

So much fail in this post I don't no where to start.

Your the one who needs to stay home. Stupid shit like that Is what causes a lot of the accidents.

Hey look I'm awd I can go 80. Hey is that ice up ahead.

Edited by DTA09
  • Confused 1

If you need a 4x4 or AWD to drive in Ohio, you are doing it wrong. It's nice to have, not a necessity. Funny thing is that the only people who had run off the road on Friday that I saw were SUV's and Trucks....haha. I saw 10-15, not 1 or 2.

This guy knows what's up. :thumbup:

I drive a 400 HP rwd car in the snow with no issues, because I have decent tires and drive with common sense. No amount of technology/mechanics will make an idiot less of an idiot.

Soccer moms and assholes who think they are invincible because they have 4wd, are what scare me about sending my girl and unborn child out on the roads in the morning.

Your the one who needs to stay home. Stupid shit look like that Is what causes a lot of the accidents.

Hey look I'm awd I can go 80. Hey is that ice up ahead.

Waiting for our Great Administrator Jones to post about how he drove to work today going 75-80mph and made 31miles in 23 minutes

:lolguy: this state is completely flat and likely has more salt/plow trucks than all of New England states combined. I grew up learning to drive stick in a Ford Probe and an E36M with Blizzaks in the winter. I still remember going out on a snow day in the Probe at 12 years old with my dad and him telling me "if you learn to drive in this shit, you'll save yourself thousands of dollars not buying AWD in your life".

Also, in CT a snow day usually consists of 4"+ of powder, not just the threat of potential snow later in the day.

The main issue is people driving at different speeds, acceleration, deceleration and changing directions.

AWD x 4x4 helps keep you stable. Don't tell me that 4 wheels driving don't do better then 2 in the snow/ice. When your rears hit a different friction ratio then the front when your RWD you generally lose control.

AWD is awesome when you want to get up and go, you don't sit there spinning. Plus my BMW does have a great stability control system that does well in the snow and ice.

I think i know how to drive in this stuff as I havent wrecked and have avoided accidents from other idiot drivers like the ones doing 20mph down the freeway.

If you need a 4x4 or AWD to drive in Ohio, you are doing it wrong. It's nice to have, not a necessity. Funny thing is that the only people who had run off the road on Friday that I saw were SUV's and Trucks....haha. I saw 10-15, not 1 or 2.

funny that a lot of trucks suv's are RWD its pretty hard to get stuck in the snow with 4x4, i've played in the snow plenty of times and the only time was when the snow was the same height as my hood.

Don't tell me that 4 wheels driving don't do better then 2 in the snow/ice. When your rears hit a different friction ratio then the front when your RWD you generally lose control.

Same with FWD or AWD. When you lose traction in the rear, you spin, regardless of the powertrain layout. There must be something else at work here.

Plus my BMW does have a great stability control system that does well in the snow and ice.

And there's the answer.

:lolguy: this state is completely flat and likely has more salt/plow trucks than all of New England states combined. I grew up learning to drive stick in a Ford Probe and an E36M with Blizzaks in the winter. I still remember going out on a snow day in the Probe at 12 years old with my dad and him telling me "if you learn to drive in this shit, you'll save yourself thousands of dollars not buying AWD in your life".

Also, in CT a snow day usually consists of 4"+ of powder, not just the threat of potential snow later in the day.

THIS STATE IS TOTALLY FLAT except for all those hills and valleys and rivers and such