I think the maxima is done

The_buster

I was thinking it would be easier to bolt in a whole new piece than weld a small part. If its bad there wouldnt it be better to try to replace the whole thing?

I was under the assumption that it was rusted out at the frame, and not on the core support. I assumed (On your car) that the core support had nothing to do with the motor mount.

Id post pics but I had surgery yesterday, just a vasectomy, so in a couple days I will. But yeah the front motor mount bolts to the core support and the front cross member. If that helps.

Well shit, then get one from a yard and bolt 'er in!

Id post pics but I had surgery yesterday, just a vasectomy, so in a couple days I will. But yeah the front motor mount bolts to the core support and the front cross member. If that helps.

Do you know if your core support is a bolt in or weld in? Reguardless that would be the best route, get the one from rockauto or wherever for $50 or a junkyard (Might be better getting new so you know the metal isnt fatigued already, cause if yours rusted out that bad the used one could look good but already be fatigued) then bolt/weld it in. You might also want to look into replacing the motor mount that bolts to the core support.

Well shit, then get one from a yard and bolt 'er in!

As long as its bolted in and not welded! But reguardless thats exactly what he should do.

You WILL be drilling spot welds in order to remove the core support on just about every vehicle still on the road today. While I only skimmed through these, it appears the maxima falls into that category. It also appears as if there is an upper and lower, rather than it being one big piece.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/613254-lower-radiator-support-replacement.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/639883-lower-radiator-support-replacement-pics.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/559406-welding-front-core-support.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/375661-poll-radiator-core-support-rust.html

it's a tough call on this one. If the car is high mileage with other issues, then it may not be worth saving it. At the end this shows the importance of saving your money when you get next years tax return and avoid blowing it on a trip to disney.

Buster,

The Maxima would be worth $1200 or so depending on mileage in good shape in my opinion. Limp it out until tax time, rig it so it is at least somewhat road-worthy, and use your tax return on something that will make help you make money. Something like a reliable car. Good, solid transportation can be had for under $2,000. I bought my 1992 Silverado for $1200, 160,000 miles and it has virtually nothing wrong with it. Did minor stuff like replace a thermostat, change the oil, needs a coolant flush. Minor stuff, and with you working ina shop with access to a lift and proper equipment, this stuff gets even easier. Find something that has been a solid platform for years, with few notorious problems, in good shape, for a good price, and buy it if it suits your needs. Once you get something scrap the maxima, or yank the engine/trans if they are in good shape and sell them separately to recoup some money.

One of the sites I found the guy was quoted at $1500 to replace the whole core. That was dealer pricing but still, doubt it's something you want to pay to have done. No reason why you and a buddy do this job in a couple of days and have it back on the road,much safer than it is now. Even if you don't want it back up.

Update, looked over the rest of the frame and its the same and worse in a couple spots. Just going to limp it until summer and either scrap it or part it out.

As Yenner said, good luck. If you are the primary source of income in your family I HIGHLY SUGGEST using that tax refund as means to purchase a new vehicle.