Does this animal exist?

hpfiend

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you seriously just suggest he drive a Jeep Cherokee? :lolguy:

Did you read the thread at all? He wants a light on it's feet sporty fun/fast vehicle.

Maybe he should drive one of these as well: http://i.imgur.com/Sr6NnAk.jpg

He said he wants something that has the sound of a throaty V8, good brakes, and is quick off of line, preferably with a back seat. He didn't say it needed to be a track rat.

I know it's big and heavy, but they are a hoot to drive and it might surprise you. It's no Alfa 4C, Z06, or RX8, but it's a fast, fun, great sounding daily. Seriously, go test drive one then PM me when you want it.

Will you still be on CR in the year: NEVER.

:dumb:

Yeah, it's no Audi, that's for sure :rolleyes: (although they share a transmission)

Since when is 470 HP V8, AWD, low 13 sec 1/4 mile, 0-60 in 4.8 sec, 0.9 g on the skidpad, and 60-0 in 116 feet lame?

I'll say it again: If he wants a fast, fun, good sounding daily and needs a back seat then take a look at it. If he wants a track rat that he'll occasionally drive on the street, then don't.

He said he wanted something that he could push hard and is fun to drive, not necessarily something with the highest ultimate grip (referencing the RSX vs Z06 comparison)

I think you are missing the point entirely.

He wants a nimble car with feedback, he already has a Z06 which does everything better than the stupid SUV stock. Once again, he's searching for something that is light, with good turn in, and tossable.

Maybe it's just me, but a 5000lb suv just doesn't seem like the right answer here. What the hell does any of this have to do with Audi?

Are you off your meds today?

http://i.imgur.com/Hlrx1tf.jpg

Well that is why I bought it in the first place coming from a very modified mustang with terrible brakes and handling.

I think it is amazing in all departments except for the feel. While its handling capability is incredible, it isn't fun to drive in everyday cornering. I do enjoy it immensely in cloverleafs but in normal, non banked, non sweeping turns it isn't confidence inspiring with good feedback in the steering or chassis.

It is really difficult to explain but I definitely drove much more aggressively in our old RSX-S, than I do in the corvette. The RSX had a smaller steering wheel and awesome side bolsters but I don't think that is all there was to it.

My dad has a c6 and it is even worse in this department so I definitely do not want a c6 of any flavor. The brakes in the corvette are nothing short of awesome (they dust a bit excessively but well worth it)- The acceleration is impressive as well- it just isn't as raw and explosive. I miss the mustang's lightning fast revs with its 3" stroke and its sound.

I don't have the time I used to have to autox or road race so it has become a daily driver for me in the spring, summer, fall.

Danny is one hell of a driver- I didn't know he worked on them as well- I haven't seen him since I was a kid though...

Don't take this the wrong way- but if you think a stock RSX is a better handling or feel car than a C5z-then you need to take some driving lessons.

The only thing you GAIN with an RSX is drivers position and FWD so its harder to wad the car, for you I think its driver position-it sits higher- you see more-maybe that's the "confidence" you are looking for? Its the same reason my wife feels better driving an RX 350 instead of a LS 460 AWD. Both are capable-both plow through snow with ease-but she can "see more" and "feels safer" in the RX.

So it really isn't the raw potential, more of the confidence and feel you get while driving it you are after. I can sort of understand that, but there is a line that gets drawn when you are talking 10 second street cars that will "feel" like a 2xxx lb 200hp fwd car. 10 second cards have 3xx wide tires and are generally designed to be "uber" stable at high speeds. This imparts loads of confidence at high speeds, but in normal driving, the limit is so high, you have to drive like an insane person to have the same fun.

Maybe you should look at things mentioned above like swapped RX7/8's and others like it. It will be light, pointy, and fun, but will still have to be driven with extreme caution if capable of running 10's all day.

Exactly! Maybe it is the fat tires.... It doesn't make sense that a swapped car will beat the engineering in the c5z but that's the conclusion I am coming to potentially for me- I did email Danny popp just now :)

It is really difficult to explain but I definitely drove much more aggressively in our old RSX-S, than I do in the corvette. The RSX had a smaller steering wheel and awesome side bolsters but I don't think that is all there was to it.

I think I know what you mean here; no FWD car will actually come close to the raw performance of what you currently have. Coltboostin is absolutely right about that.

However, I think you feel the way about your RSX-S that I do about the Focus ST.

It's not about what it can do. It's about what YOU ACTUALLY DO with it. I could never push 50% of a C5Z's capability on public roads without putting myself and others in mortal peril. However, I can and do occasionally take the Focus ST up to 80-90% of its capabilities on the road. It's much easier to drive on the edge of a FWD car because the edge is not as "out there" aka not as high performance.

OP, the Elise never had a turbo option AFAIK. It was a custom set up. He claims it was the first one built in the U.S. pushing 300+hp

There is an article in Motor Trend this month pointing out how GM was great at creating "number maker" cars - high gs, fast lap times, etc - but didn't feel "fun". They say that GM knocked it out of the park with the C7, ATS, and CTS. I don't think it will meet all of your targets but maybe look at a new Chevy SS?

apparently we have reached the part of a threads life where nobody pays attention to the OP.

Have you tried a mack truck? preferably with the sleeper cab? Pleny of room for kids, 18 speed manual, lots of tq, RWD, etc.

It's not about what it can do. It's about what YOU ACTUALLY DO with it. I could never push 50% of a C5Z's capability on public roads without putting myself and others in mortal peril. However, I can and do occasionally take the Focus ST up to 80-90% of its capabilities on the road. It's much easier to drive on the edge of a FWD car because the edge is not as "out there" aka not as high performance.

OP, the Elise never had a turbo option AFAIK. It was a custom set up. He claims it was the first one built in the U.S. pushing 300+hp

That's exactly why I suggested what I did. It doesn't sound like he wants the highest grip, or highest HP car available, but wants something "fun to drive" that can be pushed with confidence on the street.

The C7 sounds like it gives a much better driving experience, and they certainly sis a great job with the dynamics of the CTS and ATS.

I think I know what you mean here; no FWD car will actually come close to the raw performance of what you currently have. Coltboostin is absolutely right about that.

However, I think you feel the way about your RSX-S that I do about the Focus ST.

It's not really a FWD/RWD thing, though. A Miata on stock tires is a lot of fun because you can push it a little on public roads. The first thing everyone does is put on new wheels with 180 treadwear tires and "ruins" them as DDs. It took me a lot of years to figure out that I should stop putting ultra-performance summer tires on my daily.

Put me squarely in the "slow car fast, not fast car slow" camp.

Mallett Solstice/Sky - or a similar swap/build?

No back seat and similar to the Corvette in some ways....

I like this idea. These things get killer economy and look awesome to me. Not sure on sound though, but still cool nonetheless.

This guy^

There is an article in Motor Trend this month pointing out how GM was great at creating "number maker" cars - high gs, fast lap times, etc - but didn't feel "fun". They say that GM knocked it out of the park with the C7, ATS, and CTS. I don't think it will meet all of your targets but maybe look at a new Chevy SS?

Was thinking of that same article as I read this thread.

The answer is two cars, a nimble one, and a fast one. The smaller, more nimble car would have a smaller body, sitting on smaller tires, and generally feel more agile while giving it up in outright stability and speed. The fast car would be all about fatty tires and power. You can't have every car in one.

FWIW, I mirror your statements about the RSX-S. My friend had one, and it was the car I learned to drive in. Something about it was just magic. Probably the last good car Honda sold in the states. I seriously considered buying an S2000 in place of the 1'er, until I drove it, expecting it to be a RWD RSX, but it just did not deliver.