How the new F1 engines work

CRed05

http://jalopnik.com/how-formula-ones-amazing-new-hybrid-turbo-engine-works-1506450399

Amazing stuff. The MGU-H controls the turbo, instead of having a wastegate, as well as keeping the turbo spinning when lifting off throttle to prevent lag. McLaren is suppose to unveil their car on Friday. I'm so excited for this season I can't even stand it.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19dbq9eq6jrt7jpg/original.jpg

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19dbvjhdcwfpepng/original.png

I believe F1 cars run on pump gas already...like 94 is the max octane they can run. Can't seem to find that data online.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/mark-gillies-talks-to-shells-technology-manager-lisa-lilley-about-formula1-racing-fuel

90-97 octane.

Think what they would do with an E85 tune!

It's pretty amazing what these cars are doing this year and I'm interested to see how reliable they prove to be.

It looks as if the MGU-H is an electric motor on the turbine/compressor shift that's used as a generator in order to control turbine speed, but it seems that would raise the pre-turbine exhaust pressure too. Jalopnik pointed out that some teams were still using wastegates in addition to the MGU-H, probably for redundancy in case the motor failed, but I wonder if they will start bleeding off excessive exhaust pressure during normal operation.

It looks like there are a lot of tuning variables that will play into race strategy this year.

This is very different from the original proposal for the new "KERS" system. Originally, the both the power and duration were to be doubled. The big kicker was that the batteries were only able to be charged 50% over the course of one lap. To get a full charge the driver would have to go a lap without using KERS at all. I think that could have made for some very interesting strategies.

This system actually does away with the KERS button entirely. The car's ECU controls all of the above, making it one homogenous system rather than an on-demand system. While I was looking forward to seeing how the proposed system would work in a race environment, I can see that this system is more in-line with the spirit of F1's "trickle-down" technology ideal.

In today's cars, a LOT of energy is just wasted. Exhaust heat is the largest waste, but slowing a car discards what energy we do manage to get out of the fuel anyways. Creating ways to recapture some of this wasted energy will help increase efficiency and I think manufacturers will start looking more closely into this MGU-H/K technology.

Awesome thread, thanks for posting....

Also, if they run the energy recovery system too long, they will run out of gas....so this season, they will actually have to pick and choose and strategize with their technical director and team engineers to determine how much 'juice' they can use each lap.....I'm wondering if we won't see a few people run out of gas on track this season......

I'm with you, OP, I can't wait for this season.....

Also, if they run the energy recovery system too long, they will run out of gas....so this season, they will actually have to pick and choose and strategize with their technical director and team engineers to determine how much 'juice' they can use each lap

As I understand it, that's incorrect. The energy recovery system will function all the time, but if the car were to run full-boost, flat out, maximum HP for more than ~2 laps they won't have enough fuel to finish.

The energy recovery system can either add torque on top of the engines power, or it can be used to reduce the engine load in order to make xxx power more efficiently, thus reducing the fuel required.

I was thinking this as well. But then I thought about the extra 15% of fuel that would be required and I wonder if that weight gain in fuel would pay off for higher octane. I don't think it would.

Agree.

I do think it would be cool if they ran e85, I'm a big fan of it, but it would only give them more power but less fuel economy. With fuel economy being the main goal here, and 760hp being plenty...it'll do :)

Agree.

I do think it would be cool if they ran e85, I'm a big fan of it, but it would only give them more power but less fuel economy. With fuel economy being the main goal here, and 760hp being plenty...it'll do :)

While I did mean my E85 comment in a half sarcastic tone, it would also help knock resistance and would cool the cylinder as well. With the extremely high pressures (intake and exhaust) these engines will see I think heat could be a huge issue.

Also, if they run the energy recovery system too long, they will run out of gas....so this season, they will actually have to pick and choose and strategize with their technical director and team engineers to determine how much 'juice' they can use each lap.....I'm wondering if we won't see a few people run out of gas on track this season......

I'm with you, OP, I can't wait for this season.....

As I understand it, that's incorrect. The energy recovery system will function all the time, but if the car were to run full-boost, flat out, maximum HP for more than ~2 laps they won't have enough fuel to finish.

The energy recovery system can either add torque on top of the engines power, or it can be used to reduce the engine load in order to make xxx power more efficiently, thus reducing the fuel required.

So, i'm confused on where I was incorrect?

The energy recovery systems will function all the time, but how they put that energy back into the engine will differ throughout the race.

Got ya, just worded it wrong...I meant if you run the 'boost' button for too long......