Anyone know VBA?

LJ

So I have ~39,000 lines of data and I need to split it into populations of 300 over 120 sheets. Everything is in 1 column and it doesnt need sorted in any particular fashion.

THis is the code I was working with

Option Explicit

Sub ColumnToSheets()

Dim LR As Long, Rw As Long, Sz As Long

Sz = Application.InputBox(300, Type:=1)

If Sz = 0 Then Exit Sub

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With ActiveSheet

LR = .Range(“A1” & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For Rw = 1 To LR Step Sz

Sheets.Add after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)

.Range(“A” & Rw).Resize(Sz).Copy Range(A1, [A40000])

Next Rw

.Activate

End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

MsgBox “Done”

End Sub

But its not really working, this part is erroring out

LR = .Range(“A1” & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For Rw = 1 To LR Step Sz

I have really only ever coded alerts and prompts so I am kind of at a loss here

This should work for you. Let me know if you have any more issues with this. I am only copying 15 colums, change that if you need to.

Option Explicit

Sub ColumnToSheets()

Dim LR As Long, Rw As Long, Sz As Long, valRng As Range

Sz = Application.InputBox(300, Type:=1)

If Sz = 0 Then Exit Sub

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With ActiveSheet

LR = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

For Rw = 1 To LR Step Sz

Range(Cells(Rw, 1), Cells(Rw + (Sz - 1), 15)).Copy

Worksheets.Add(After:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)).Name = "rows " & Rw & " - " & Rw + Sz - 1

ActiveSheet.Paste

Sheets(1).Select

Next Rw

.Activate

End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

MsgBox ("Done")

End Sub

While we're on the topic, anyone want to point me in a direction? I'm the ultimate "has been" I has been a guru back in early VBDOS, and the first couple windows versions of VB back in the mid `90's. I downloaded VB Studio and managed to make a simple profit calculator pretty quickly.

I'm wanting to expand into creating a type of accounting software that will store my data in a database as part of my ongoing learning and hopefully in a few years expand into automated trading and accounting with it. I was happy to see VB has a wizard that would make the job very easy, but it seems I must have an ACCESS database file or similar already created in order to use the wizard. I can't find a way around this.

Any ideas? I know I should probably start by learning to write/read data from a file and will probably end up starting there and working through everything anyway.

store my data in a database

I must have an ACCESS database file or similar already created in order to use the wizard. I can't find a way around this.

I don't quite understand what you are asking. You want to eventually store data in a database, but you don't want to use Access to store it? so you want to use Oracle, SQL Server or MySQL?

Actually any database format will work including access. Its sort of a chicken/egg problem. The wizard won't work unless you already have a database file and I won't have a database file until I finish the program and start inputing data.

I was thinking I could get access and make the database file then my problems should be solved, but thats sort of annoying.

I would like to use the wizard, by default it will make just about 90% of the program for me and I'd just need to customize it and add in some calculations.