Y'all watch NASCAR?!

AndonD454

Drastic change in chase format this year.. I think it should make for some interesting racing. Puts a lot of emphasis on winning instead of racing for points.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2014/1/30/chase-for-the-nascar-sprint-cup-championship-format-changes.html

Thoughts?

I have mixed feelings about the "playoffs" but will be interesting.

Probably Part of a very large minority, but I am a big nascar fan and goto 4-5 races a year

I'm not a die hard fan, but I will check out a race when its on. I tend to get a kick out of those who talk down about NASCAR, it shows a lack of understanding on how hard it is.

You get these open wheel guys who think they can just storm in and win, they usually end up as field filler, on the hook, or Danica Patrick.

I wish they would take Smoke's muzzle off and let him really speak his mind, he's about as close as you will get to a throwback old school racer. Dude has won in open wheel, dirt track, and NASCAR.

I am a fan..and I don't particularly care for the new format. Maybe I need to read up about it more...but even though drivers don't get "eliminated" from the current format they are mathematically eliminated despite still being in the chase

The interesting thing is what if that guy 16th in points going in actually wins the chase.

I tend to get a kick out of those who talk down about NASCAR, it shows a lack of understanding on how hard it is.

You get these open wheel guys who think they can just storm in and win, they usually end up as field filler, on the hook, or Danica Patrick.

This. I think people discredit NASCAR because of how simple it is in theory, when they have no understanding of how much actual racing is going on.

I just wish they did more road courses and short tracks instead of the cookie cutter speedways. The almost always predictable competition yellows at 10 laps and under also annoy me.

I just wish they did more road courses and short tracks instead of the cookie cutter speedways. The almost always predictable competition yellows at 10 laps and under also annoy me.

Short tracks are kind of disastrous, but can be more interesting I suppose. I do actually like the high speeds of the big tracks rather than the constant crashing at Martinsville, Bristol, etc. but I would love to attend a race at Bristol soon.

I just wish the cars resembled the production cars like the old days.

When "race on Sunday, sell on Monday" was meaningful.

This year, they actually do resemble production cars.. quite a bit actually. But they are nothing close to production cars, so I can kind of see what you mean. It would be pretty cool if they raced factory cars with big (factory option) motors, roll cages, and suspension upgrades.. At least.. I think it would be cool? I actually wonder if it would create big disparities in competition between teams, and it definitely wouldn't sound as good or be as fast as it is today.

The other thing that I would like to see is some innovation. Perhaps it's going on and I'm just not aware of it, but I feel like you are always hearing about how tech developed by F1 is being used in the automotive industry, and I don't think I've ever heard that about NASCAR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they still using carb tech?

The other thing that I would like to see is some innovation. Perhaps it's going on and I'm just not aware of it, but I feel like you are always hearing about how tech developed by F1 is being used in the automotive industry, and I don't think I've ever heard that about NASCAR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they still using carb tech?

There is innovation that happens, its just not the "sexy" type that F1 provides. Lotsof stuff with heads and other things trickle down or get played with. Not to mention the innovation in how to bend the rules :gabe:

They went to throttle body fuel injection a year or 2 ago.

Short tracks are kind of disastrous, but can be more interesting I suppose. I do actually like the high speeds of the big tracks rather than the constant crashing at Martinsville, Bristol, etc. but I would love to attend a race at Bristol soon.

That's what makes short tracks fun to watch. Super Speedways are great, but cookie cutters like Kansas, Kentucky, Texas etc are boring.

I use to watch it every weekend until Dale Sr died but then I started to follow Dale Jr liked it again until the ugly car of tomorrow came out then I lost all interest in it and Dale Jr going to Hendrick Motorsports was the nail in the coffin for me. I do still watch the Daytona & Talladega races but that's it, I just don't care about Nascar anymore, tv announcers are annoying as fuck too

tv announcers are annoying as fuck too

yes. It's like the treat every race like no one has ever watched it before and they have to hold your hand thru it so you understand. But that's how FOX covers most sports.

I miss the days of Ned Jarrett and Benny Parsons, Rusty Wallace wasn't a great driver and he's a horrible announcer, and yes most of the announcing is geared towards people who have no clue on what is going on. I just got sick of all the goddamn Nascar shows there are, it seems like all Speed channel ever showed was Nascar shows and some other corney shit so I don't miss that channel at all.

Can't say I watch much anymore, but I'm sure until the weather breaks I'll watch a lot of it, especially Daytona.

Yeah if you have a driver you follow or team and keep up with it, its a good time in my opinion. But I love all types of racing, its a blast going to a dirt track race like eldora.

I think the new system is in place to try and make it a little harder on jimmie johnson. I typically dont miss a single race through the whole season.