CR Stock Watch

Tractor

January was brutal to long positions. It was a perfect example of why I don't hold over night.

In all I made 7 trades, one went south on me for a loss of around $200 with a profit of around $2400 for the month.

I started playing around with OANDA's forex practice account, but I can tell ya I don't know anything about forex or how to actually trade it, just using the candle stick charts in their app isn't enough to be consistent. Maybe with some more study I can make it profitable.

Anyone here actually trade forex?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't place a trade the last two weeks, due to the strong trends. Today I was able to sneak one in to catch a little profit. Historically February is a good month to buy and hold until around June/July then sell off for summer. Especially in the seasonal stocks, ie Scotts Companies, Budweiser, etc if they are towards the bottom of their 52wk numbers.

DDD (3D Systems) blew up today on a bad earnings report chasing out a lot of the newbs. I jumped in on it for a quick 5.5% gain before exiting. Thats awesome to me since I consider anything greater than 0.25% good profit. A setup that occurs only a couple times per year on the stuff I watch and this time I was ready for it.

An hour later I pulled off another in/out trade on AUY (gold mining co) for a 0.3% gain.

So far my AAPL is down for the year but still way up from when I got in last year so I'm keeping with it. I just purchased some AMZN yesterday since it's on sale, will probably hold it for a little while. My mining and OG stocks have actually been doing pretty well so far, all up for the year.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd share an interesting stock with you guys. MRIB Marani Brands Inc, is a penny stock I've been watching and bought into a few weeks ago. They sell vodka, wine, etc and went through bad times during the recession. Now under a new CEO and top notch VP of distribution they've relaunched their products in the US this year and have been gaining alcohol licensing and distribution contracts. It recently went through a huge upwards move and is resetting now. More news to come, personally I own 105,000 shares and may add more.

I've done a lot of research and don't see any downside and consider this a stock with the potential for $0.10-1.00 this year. Its one of my only long positions as I don't typically hold long term. They have been in the US have won awards, but picked the wrong time to expand it 2007-2009. This is exactly the type of situation I look for with companies.

Thought I'd share an interesting stock with you guys. MRIB Marani Brands Inc, is a penny stock I've been watching and bought into a few weeks ago. They sell vodka, wine, etc and went through bad times during the recession. Now under a new CEO and top notch VP of distribution they've relaunched their products in the US this year and have been gaining alcohol licensing and distribution contracts. It recently went through a huge upwards move and is resetting now. More news to come, personally I own 105,000 shares and may add more.

I've done a lot of research and don't see any downside and consider this a stock with the potential for $0.10-1.00 this year. Its one of my only long positions as I don't typically hold long term. They have been in the US have won awards, but picked the wrong time to expand it 2007-2009. This is exactly the type of situation I look for with companies.

Thanks for the tip! The only updates I have is I'm thinking AAPL will have a good rest of the year (and go above $600) and might even be a good contrarian stock if the market sees a broad correction.

Gold stocks should also do better. Hard to do worse than last year though:-) Broad market has been having a real tough go above 16,250 and moving sideways. GSAT has continued to make me nice gains as another long stock of mine. I've traded it since .25 and have been holding it since $1. They are about to get some good press after an FCC ruling in July and just put out some great numbers in their 2013 year end report. Should also have great first quarter numbers and in April Amazon will begin shipping a WIFI product of theirs that will allow all WIFI capable devices to utilize GSAT's satellite network. For the non tech geeks, that means you can play candy crush in the Congo LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Also GSAT is now being relisted on the NYSX myself and at least one other cr never have made 100% gains with it so far and I expect another 100% is still in it before finds a top.

I used to swing trade it down around.30 I've been holding since$1.00 as my only other long position.

• 3 weeks later...
What do you guys use to buy/sell stocks? I'm a newb to this, so the more details, the better.

I use SogoTrade http://www.sogotrade.com/

https://apply.sogotrade.com/NewAccountSetup/Step1.aspx?rf=543967

$3.00 pre-pay or $5 on stocks, $5 for ETF's. I've been told it's kinda basic but so is my level of investing right now so it works for me. Only thing I wish it had is a DRIP plan.

I use scottrade, tdameritrade and interactive brokers. Scottrade is cheap and easy, td has a nice mobile app for a brokerage and IB is more of a professional platform so it's expensive at $10k min. But it is extremely powerful up to and including writing your own trading algorithms and software.

Well, it looks like I may have missed the boat this time around. I was wanting to purchase some today and possibly sell them tomorrow. From what I'm reading, I should have created an account and deposited funds last week, correct? Do I have any other options of purchasing some stock today?

I've gone to the Scottrade office with cash during a lunch break before, lol. And damn, TWTR got slammed today!

That's my main reason for having a scottrade account. I can get stuff done fast and yell at a real person if I need to.