CR Stock Watch

Tractor

In my IRA I hold as long as I like the company or find something I really want to invest in and take a little from some others to make the trade.

In my hobby account I trade on a good profit and move on to the next trade.

I will keep some of my profit in free shares that I can hold for a longer time frame (5-10 years).

I do something similar with stocks that pay a dividend for a quarterly cash flow in my hobby account.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long do you guys usually hold onto your stocks? I usually sell around 10-15% since I just do it for spending cash/fun. Can't argue with a couple hundred free bucks a month. But then when I see stocks I used to own quadrupling or more its frustrating. Of course some have seriously crashed into the dirt too, so I guess a gain is a gain right?

Depends, if its a long, I hold it until it produces the results I want or falls off the chart. If its a day trade I don't hold longer than 10-15 minutes unless its having a good run then maybe 45 minutes but thats a rare and very good day.

• 1 month later...

Since posting, I've sold WMS and PG for 10-12% gains in less than 8 months' each. Not trying to be too greedy.

Square is an interesting play - disruptive tech that's been widely adopted. Where do they go? How will they continue providing shareholder value?

You gotta like someone that's in the single digits from a price-per-share standpoint, AND close to the 52-week low...

CR thoughts on CORN? I purchased 1 month ago and am already up 12%. El Nino is usually followed by drought, which means a rough year on crops could be ahead. I purchased at almost the 52 week low.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

May you have better luck than I have.

I bought VEGI back in the winter anticipating that feeding the world and aggressive crop estimates would bolster the Ag market, and this thing has gone down 10-12% and just flatlined on me.

Mutual Funds are less about the underlining stocks and more about the name and marketability of the fund family. At least ETF's are more linked to the market.

So did anyone else do some shopping today? I decided to only buy a little today and leave more ammo for next week but I did pick up some good deals (imo of course, lol). Ended up getting some DIS, NKE, and RACE. We'll see if next week is ugly and I can buy some more.

• 1 month later...

I was up 10% on DUST with only a couple of weeks in it, sold out...

I'm picking up some SQQQ again, partially because I'm looking at dividend-ETF's and everything is priced at the top of the market - and I simply don't see either:

1) The market getting much higher than where it's at in an election year prior to November (I can see it going down), or

2) Once either candidate gets in - it doesn't matter whom - there will be some serious volatility through the end of the year.

Thoughts on where one could park some profits over the next few months? I think everyone is looking for yield in this low-rate economy - and low-volatility market - we're still operating in. All bets are off until after the election...

I like preferred stocks for lower volatility and higher yield. I have some BACPRL, it's gone up and is only yielding about 6% now but with a conversion price at $50 (for BAC) it's not going to be converted for a while.

REIT's seem to have good yield but I've just started looking into them.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
My long-term automotive play is MBLY. Typically, the OEM's carry smaller profit margins than suppliers, auto sales are at a peak right now (and will retract), and are incredibly vulnerable to market swings. IMO, the supply base is a better play, since they are diversified across OEM's and markets and there are segments that will grow even if overall sales retract.

MBLY - up 25% since purchase. I was within a few days of buying at the 52 week low.

A year ago I purchased MBLY around $34 and sold for a 25% gain. Today they got bought by Intel for ~$15.3 billion and are at $61 in premarket. FML, I should have held out for long term like I posted here.

A year ago I purchased MBLY around $34 and sold for a 25% gain. Today they got bought by Intel for ~$15.3 billion and are at $61 in premarket. FML, I should have held out for long term like I posted here.

Damn dude! Like said about, you win some, you lose some. Fortunately in this case, you still won, just not as big.

• 3 months later...

What are everyone’s thoughts on Rite-Aid (RAD)?

The FTC has to make a decision about the merger with Walgreen's by July 7. The FTC only has 2 commissioners currently on the board which means a unanimous decision is needed; a split decision allows the merger to go through. Humana is fighting back against the FTC to get paperwork requested by the 26th.

I am looking back prior to the announcement in October 2015 and think this stock is a no-brainer regardless of the outcome of this decision. It is still trading lower than pre-merger announcement.

Not actual stock related, but I'm up nearly 12% so far this year in my 401K / Rollover accounts. +14% since I started managing my own stuff 5+ years ago... :cool:

Nice.

Not sure what I'm up as a whole but my big winner so far this year is ROX. Bought it at $1 and it's at $1.75ish right now. Was above $2.20 at one point.

tenor.gif

;)

It's a chance that I was willing to take. RAD removed over 50% of their debt with this deal and now management needs to show they can bring in some positive earning.ER came in with a net loss of 75 million, which was higher than expected. RAD CEO pretty much screwed the shareholders by saying last week things are looking good for the merger then having another deal in place. RAD is still sitting well for a buyout just 1-2 years out now.