Lettuce discuss intercoolers

PRD2BDF

I want to learn a bit more about intercoolers. I know the basics about them, they cool compressed air before entering the engine. That's it.

My question is how do you determine it's time to upgrade your intercooler? Is there a benefit to upgrading when you have a mild tune and the intercooler is still "effective"?

Intercoolers are usually rated for a "power level"

Bigger intercooler means more area to pressurize and more lag. Go too big and get lag, go too small and get high IAT's. Id assume your car will have an IAT sensor, get hptuners and see what your car is pushing at full boost. I'd just research and see what people have run their stocker up to in your case. General rule of thumb I'd use is stock turbo(s) should use a stock intercooler. As with anything there is exceptions. My supra stock ran 10psi on the twins, the previous owner put the boost to 16psi and got a huge front mount. Still had decent response, full boost would come on at 3200rpm. Not much more boost but it was mainly to lower IAT's since the turbos were ceramic wheeled and higher temps meant more chance at grenading the wheels.

I'd just research and see what people have run their stocker up to in your case.

This. It all depends on the car.

I'm going to guess that you probably don't need to get a bigger one since you're still using stock turbos. Do the stockers have plastic end tanks? If so, you're probably more likely to develop a leak than them being inefficient, but it all just depends on the car.

Intercoolers are usually rated for a "power level"

Bigger intercooler means more area to pressurize and more lag. Go too big and get lag, go too small and get high IAT's. Id assume your car will have an IAT sensor, get hptuners and see what your car is pushing at full boost. I'd just research and see what people have run their stocker up to in your case. General rule of thumb I'd use is stock turbo(s) should use a stock intercooler. As with anything there is exceptions. My supra stock ran 10psi on the twins, the previous owner put the boost to 16psi and got a huge front mount. Still had decent response, full boost would come on at 3200rpm. Not much more boost but it was mainly to lower IAT's since the turbos were ceramic wheeled and higher temps meant more chance at grenading the wheels.

:dumb:

Usually it comes down to the space you have and the hp rating you want. If you can match the piping sizes that is a bonus. Like others said, getting an oversized intercooler for your application isn't necessarily beneficial.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/heat-exchangers/air-to-air/1

You need to measure AITs post intercooler, and actual boost (MAP not MAF calculated)

If you are seeing enough raise in AITs during a long pull, that ignition timing is being lowered to reduce detonation.. you need a more efficient core.

More efficient usually means larger. This is where logging actual boost comes into play, as you do not want to go so big that you experience a large pressure drop.

Great response. I'm sure the OP appreciates your input here.

Jackass

your so ignorant, how old are you 16?

I am just sitting back laughing

there is some dumb explanations going on in here.

not really rated by HP, but by flow and efficiency to drop the IAT

the whole bigger IC means lag is broscience.

a few people got it right on how you need to measure IAT but also need to find out flow in terms of CFM