Who's the Concrete guy here.....installing a lift, have ??

MattKatz

Need to install a lift we just bought, floor isn't exactly smooth and new but is in pretty good shape. Looks to be roughly 5.5-6" thick as we drilled a spot to test depth. Where we want to put the uprights rock a little too much for me and I don't want to use as many shims as it will take to get everything plumb. Can we grind the area smooth AND level in those areas?

Hook a brotha up with some info. We want this thing installed ASAP.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would consider removing the material squarely in the areas you want and pouring new concrete to include 2" higher than floor level mounting pads with mounting studs stuck in when wet.

You would need a concrete saw and chisel/jack hammer for my method though.

Yeah, we aren't cutting out the floor, it's not that bad and if you pour new concrete you have to wait 30 days to install the lift. I am looking more for tips on grinding and leveling. We can rent a machine to do it but I've never done it before so I was looking for any tips basically from guys who have actually done it. We can shim it to the right positions, but I'd rather have the lift with maybe one shim under it vs. multiples stacked (which is completely acceptable by the manufacturer). I'm just a little picky on how I do stuff. He'll we could pour an entire new floor if we wanted as my buddy does concrete for a living, but he doesn't do grinding for a living so he can't help me there.

I have probably cut out and grinded more concrete than anyone in here as thats what i did for nearly 13 years. The weight of the lift should be fine if your concrete depth is what you state. Grinding is very simple with the right equipment. Just keep in mind you dont want to inhale the dust and use water or at the very least a shop vac. For the areas your doing you can us a basic masonary grinder disc. For large areas and if cost isnt an issue diamond disc all the way.

You're retired jason, a lot of things have changed since then.........or not.

Jason's right though. If you are just taking away a small amount any masonary grinding wheel will work. As for the depth, I've seen lifts put in with 4" of concrete so you'll be fine.

I may be retired but cut more in my 13 years than most do throughout all of theirs. I could still go out tomorrow and outcut anyone they put against me. We were still using middle age equipment and tripling the production of companies with the latest and greatest, hell we designed alot of the equipment guys are using today.

Edit, i could outcut people tomorrow, by the following day I would need a wheelchair.

Honestly I would anchor the lift down to the existing concrete and use leveling nuts below the baseplates of the lift posts to get it plumb. Then put some non shrink, non metallic grout around the baseplates. The last thing you want to do is compromise the strength of that existing slab by hacking it up. If you want any more advice PM me. I've probably done more structural concrete than any other CR broke-dick on here.

With a floor grinder especially with an agressive disc the key is to move quickly. A diamond disc will carve into the concrete fast if its left to just sit in one place for a second. Depends on what type of floor grinder they have. If it comes with a removeable weight start out without the weight at first.

If your only doing a 12"x12" area(4), i would just get a cheap hand grinder and masonary disc. Unless your doing a large area and the floor is way out of level, the machines you rent are overkill. If you priced out the rental of a diamond grinder, the diamonds used would account for the high rental price.

This is typically how we set machines and robot bases on our floors:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/images/sign13.gif

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/images/sign12.gif

Explain this pic to me a little more.....This looks the the way to go.

If your only doing a 12"x12" area(4), i would just get a cheap hand grinder and masonary disc. Unless your doing a large area and the floor is way out of level, the machines you rent are overkill. If you priced out the rental of a diamond grinder, the diamonds used would account for the high rental price.

We already rented it and used it, went to install and the Anchors Failed the Test for holding so we are now at a point where we are going to have to cut the floor out where the posts will be and pour a new section/Pad of concrete of the appropriate strength. Now I am researching how to do this the most cost effective and proper way.

Explain this pic to me a little more.....This looks the the way to go.

Layout where you want your anchors to go and drill your holes. I'd epoxy the anchors in, if it were me. Let them set once you've drilled and placed them. Place a nut on the bottom of all the anchors. Set your lifts' posts on the nuts, lock washer and nut on top. Use the lower nuts and/or combination of shims to level your machine. You want at least a 1/2" gap, but no more than 1.5". Once everything settles, build a nice form out of 2x4 or whatever you have laying around. Pick up some Quickrete non shrink precision grout. Mix and pour it in your form, making sure all of it gets under the machine. Once it dries and settles, you're done!