Snow Plow Company advice

LS_Sonoma

If you already have a plow and spreader, I'd just hit up local company's that do snow removal and see if they need another truck out there plowing. Around here it's about $60+ an hour if you use your own truck and plow for them as they already have the contracts.

Thanks Linn/ Friel for the reply.

I am located near Indianapolis, so no need to worry about taking customers in Ohio. As with any business, cutting out the middle man gives the best return on investment so working for another company isn't ideal for me. Also, I need the flexibility due to my full time job so I'll probably just aim at residential customers.

This is more of a new hobby than anything and a way to supplement the payment on a new Raptor, lol.

This is more of a new hobby than anything and a way to supplement the payment on a new Raptor, lol.

Tough hobby in more ways than one. I prefer cameras ;)

nieghbor of ours has a nice 2500 series and bought a used plow one year. Contracted with our HOA for the roads and then many homes for the driveways. Not sure how lucrative it was since it does wear on the truck and the plow wasn't free. Keeping him busy this year. Just saw him drive by with a truck load of salt.

residential customers probably makes a lot more sense for what you are looking for and especially to start. It's not practical to have a full time job somewhere and do commercial work, the other thing to think about is if you are looking to do this with your new truck, the abuse to it is extreme. From my experience managing 50 subcontracted snow removal companies each year, If you do decide to get into commercial at some point, you will most likely be starting as a sub for another snow removal company. Another option is sidewalks, there is a lot of money in commercial sidewalk clearing and more servicing then plowing. As said previously, most service contracts are locked in because the company already does some other service for that location.

I plow for my own properties and do a few residentials. I have a full time job so i dont want to get into commercial gigs or sub. I do help others at times. Best advice is to sub from someone to get into the business. Most of the plow guys on here own their own companies and this is their off season so they plow. Edited by RS69

So difficult to make money in residential i think. I know a guy that tried it around here and by the time he jumped all around he couldnt make any money. Out of an entire neighborhood of 300 homes only a handful signed up and even then only wanted to pay $10-15. He tried getting more customers but decided to just sub of a commercial account . For him it was better sitting in his truck making 80hr.

Owning a landscape business, take it from me that it's not easy nor does Mother Nature pay attention to your other work schedule. It is rewarding having your own contracts, calling the shots and such....but if all you're after is plowing part time, I'd work for a subcontractor. Dealing with the customer blows sometimes. Good luck with everything if you still decide to do it.