Tax paperwork gurus, quick question

wnaplay1647545503

My son just started his first job for a small company. The owner handed him some tax papers to fill out but I have no idea exactly what they are or how in depth they need to be completed. I do not want to advise him to complete them wrong or fill in incorrect sections and have a huge tax bill at the end of this year. His employer has no idea how to fill them out he's just a one man small shop.

Anyone familiar with new hire tax forms? The last one I filled out all I had to say was pull out the most tax possible and I will collect it at the end of the year.

A W-4 withholding worksheet? A lower number has more withheld.

0 if you want the biggest possible return. 1 or 2 will also likely work for a single filer with a simple return (1040EZ, no itemized deductions, etc.).

If he is under 18, or 24 and in school, he more than likely won't even have to pay taxes unless his income is >50% of his parents'.

A W-4 withholding worksheet? A lower number has more withheld.

If this...

The worksheet at the bottom is just that, a worksheet. As a single person he will probably either want to file "Single, no exemptions" - more tax withheld, bigger refund (hopefully) at year end, or "Single, 1 exemption" (himself) - less tax withheld, smaller refund (hopefully) at year end.

The top part is all that needs to be filled out and returned. The worksheet is just for his use to figure out what he CAN do.

Edited by craig71188
Qualifiers - I am not a tax expert nor offering advice

Figured out the issue, apparently the employer gave him a form for employees of the commonwealth of northern Marianna islands. Doh.

Sounds like the employer may have been trying to pull a fast one on you. Might i suggest finding a slightly larger employer?