Help me help someone - IT GUYS COME IN!

Diamonds

Hi guys,

I hope this an appropriate topic for the meat market.

BACK STORY:

My father (68, retired) has a friend of 20 years who has a friend who is recently out of a job. My father's friend is an A+ businessman/trustworthy and asked me to network with his friend who he vouches for 100% on being a good dude.

PRESENT SITUATION:

I am meeting with this guy to talk a little bit about career advice/devising a direction moving forward. The only problem is, I am probably only going to be able to hook him up with people that know more about IT/infrastructure than I do. It wouldn't be my place to advise him after I saw his resume. But, we are still set to meet and establish a base.

PROBLEM:

I don't know which direction (of connections I have) to point him in because I don't quite understand his background. His resume states that he was a network engineer. But it seems to me like he was more involved with the hardware aspect.

QUESTION:

I am going to post his resume. Can anyone tell me what kind of job he should be looking for? I want to try and help get him to the right kind of person. He has a few years on the customer side (OSU) but the majority of his experience is on the sales side (Accutech).

Do all network engineers do in-house hardware/hardwiring? I apologize as I am unclear on their exact duties in terms of the "quintessential" job duty.

here's his resume....

CAREER OBJECTIVE: Technical Sales Engineer

PROFILE: Top-performing, enthusiastic, self-motivated, problem solver with leadership

and collaborative abilities. Sixteen years experience in the network infrastructure

field, including design and specification of cabling, networking, power, CCTV, CATV, Access Control, DAS, wireless and

AV systems.

EXPERIENCE:

The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH, 3/12 – 1/14

Senior Network Engineer

• Designed and implemented network infrastructure for new builds and renovations.

• Oversaw campus wide installation of a neutral host distributed antenna system (DAS)

• Interacted with multiple groups across the organization as well as with architects, engineers, contractors and third party customers.

• Reviewed project cost and designs of eight network administrators to ensure that projects were completed on time and to OSUWMC technical specifications.

• Produced project prints utilizing Computer Assisted Drafting (CAD)

• Responsibilities included trouble shooting and break/fix activities to maintain network uptime.

Accu-Tech Corporation , Columbus, OH, 12/97 – 3/12

Branch Manager 06/07-present

• Managed network cabling and connectivity distribution office.

• Responsible for all aspects of profit and loss statement including sales and expense budgeting

• Successfully managed 9 employees

• Interfaced with end user customers, architects, engineers, contractors and manufacturers.

• Assisted engineers in product selection and design

• Facilitated infrastructure design and product selection, LEED focused seminars for PE, RCDD, AIA, LEED AP and LEED GA professionals.

• Assisted The Ohio State University Medical Center in product selection and design for network infrastructure, including MGN and the

current Medical Center Expansion Project.

• Worked with Fishel Technologies to design and implement a new data center at Nationwide Children’s Hospital

• Specified and contributed to the design of a megapixel IP video surveillance system for the Southern Ohio Medical Center

• Supported Southern Ohio Medical Center’s migration to medical grade network including cable selection and design.

• Aided Jacobs Telephone in design and implementation of the network at the Human Performance Wing at Wright-Patterson AFB

• Oversaw distribution of network infrastructure materials for Mt Carmel Health Systems.

• Worked on projects for Ohio University, Otterbein University and Denison University

• Currently studying for RCDD certification

Account Manager 12/97-06/07

• Six time President’s Club Circle of Excellence Award recipient

• Managed specifications and assisted contractors in formulating bills of material and costing

• Studied and trained on performance and implementation of cutting edge infrastructure hardware, provided product training and “Best Practices”

installation and design execution to contractors and end user customers

• Contributed training and design support for network and security installations on multiple projects for Chemical Abstracts

• Assisted Microman during the network design and construction of Dublin Jerome High School and Olentangy Orange High School

• Supported network upgrades for AEP, Allstate Insurance, Columbus City Schools, Huntington Bank, 5/3 Bank, FirstStar Bank and Cincinnati Financial

United BMW, Duluth, GA, 06/95-12/97

Customer Service Representative

• Consistent top three performer

• Adept at business to business selling

Universal Electronics, Twinsburg, OH 8/90-06/95

Direct Factory Representative 01/91-06/95

• Managed seven state territory selling consumer electronics products to retailers

• Provided customers with technical training on a variety of consumer electronics goods

Customer Service Representative/Technician 08/90-01/91

• Re-furbished small consumer electronics items in workshop environment.

• Managed consumer hotline to assist customers in operating and trouble shooting consumer electronics items.

EDUCATION:

Bachelor of Science, 1991 Kent State University, Ohio

Major: Marketing

One year of Architecture study

He'd be a good fit for one or more of the positions we currently have open at Expedient Data Centers but I'm not certain any of them are high enough paying positions based on his experience. All pretty much mid level network and engineering positions.

http://www.expedient.com/company/careers-opportunities.php

Other than Sales, Operations Support Center and the PM position listed for MD pretty much all of those opportunities could sit in the Columbus market for the right candidate despite being listed in various locations.

No harm in him submitting his resume with us to have on file even if none of the open opportunities work out. We are a rapidly growing company and new opportunities pop up all the time.

Please have him list yours truly (Andy Kutscher) as his reference when applying :-)

Looks like he did a lot of technical network problem solving at OSU. Seems like he wants to be a technical resource to the sales department of an IT company, i.e. technical consultant. They work with a sales team to plan and deliver a technical solution to the customer.

Please have him list yours truly (Andy Kutscher) as his reference when applying :-)

I do one nice thing for you.... :gabe:

Anyways, if Expedient doesn't work out (or we don't have anything up his alley/pay grade), the company we use for fire suppression is in desperate need of someone with brains to help their area sales guy. Ask for Chris Sickels or Ken Oberst at http://www.integratedprotection.com

I do one nice thing for you.... :gabe:

Anyways, if Expedient doesn't work out (or we don't have anything up his alley/pay grade), the company we use for fire suppression is in desperate need of someone with brains to help their area sales guy. Ask for Chris Sickels or Ken Oberst at http://www.integratedprotection.com

That is great! should I have him call the grove city office number?

That is great! should I have him call the grove city office number?

Yes. Calling GC he'll probably reach Ken. Chris is based out of their Dayton/Cincy office, but still has responsibility for the whole region (which is why it takes him so fsckin' long to get quotes and shit back to me).