DIY sushi?

zeitgeist57

I've loved sushi for a long time, but over this last winter, I've gotten my wife into some vegetarian/"American" sushi (like philly rolls:lol:) and I'd love to eat more, but it's obviously expensive.

Yesterday, while picking up some toosh at Giant Eagle, I noticed the grass mats and sushi kits. I was googling websites (http://makemysushi.com/) and also realizing that I'm a stones' throw from Tensuke Market, CAM, and Sunshine Asian Supermarket here on the NW side of Columbus.

Have any of you made your own sushi, or have a friend/loved one who does? I'd be interested to hear how often you make it, what the cost has been, and where/what stores you visit for supplies (rice, fish, etc...) Thanks!

I started this winter. Its not a whole lot cheaper than buying, but its fun to make. My ex enjoyed trying to make her own rolls.

Initial purchases are the biggest part

Rice cooker (never again will i make it in a pan). Got one from craigslist for $8. Makes 3 cups (uncooked). Target online sells same one $20 or so new.

Rice. 5lb bag was like $14. Lasted me 6-7 times

Mat, spoon, rice vinegar, seaweed (get a 30 pack for $6), wasabi...i think i spent $55 or so the initial trip

I get tuna and salmon at tensuke. $10 each piece and ive got dinner for 2 and then some, or big dinner and big lunch tomorrow.

Tensuke will cut it for you. There is a picture chart above all the fish. I think "B" style is for rolls.

Then i just get cucumber (the kind they have...regular ones are too soft and seedy), avocado, cream cheese (they dont sell this), etc. You can get all sorts of shit there

I will say, its gonna take a while for your rolls not to look like shit. Mine still arent great, anf theyre enormous in diameter...i cant get them as tight and bite size as you get when you go out.

It is fun though. Get that stuff and all you gotta buy is fish and fillings.

Wow. I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the info, Evan! :thumbup:

Are you sticking with it? Not sick stopping by Tensuke for fish and fillings? Can you get enough for a few days' rolls in your fridge or do you really need to eat what you make within 24-48 hrs?

If you get ingredients to make your own beer, you can easily screw up the whole batch. If you mess up making sushi, at least you still have good sushi-grade food to eat!

A lot of what I read is that it's relatively easy to make, but it takes a long time to make sushi LOOK like what you see in restaurants; therein lies the art form of making sushi. I can see myself not caring if it doesn't look right as I still love eating it. Lord knows how many supermarket-bought sushi rolls have fallen apart, and I'm paying for someone else to do it!

I make it about once a month. Its no where near as good the next day, but its edible. The rice tends to get dry over night. I will say though, from a taste standpoint, mine tastes as good, if not better than what i order. It just looks way shittier. Lol

First time -

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/Mobile%20Uploads/20131007_193328_zpscze2jy6m.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/Mobile%20Uploads/20131007_194555_zpsjgohuema.jpg

Most recent/best attempt

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/20131119_223845_zpsnhmx34xg.jpg

also, a couple things i forgot...

cook the rice, put it into a wood or plastic bowl...not metal. mix in the rice vinegar. again, no metal spoon. wood, plastic rice spoon...now wait...its gonna be hot as fuck being just cooked. you want it to the point you can work with it with your hands without it burning you. 15 min or so. you can stir it up a couple times while you're waiting to break up any clumps

once you're ready, wet your hands. do it by a sink, or keep a large bowl of water. if you dont, you will have rice stuck everywhere. dip your hands, and just let it run off. press the rice down over the seaweed. for the first times, you can just put the stuff on the rice and roll it with the seaweed on the outside. its easier to roll since the rice wont stick to you or fall off. once you get it down, you can flip the roll over and put all your fillings on the seaweed, and roll with the rice on the outside. its just a presentation thing.

when you cut it, dip your knife in water, cut (sawing motion...press down and probably gonna smash the roll), wipe knife, dip, repeat. you might get 2-3 cuts without wiping the knife off, but it cuts much better with a clean wet knife.

Wife makes it from time to time and it's pretty damn good. She get the fish from Carfagna's, and she gets rest of the stuff from an international store off Morse rd I think.

And its never very good the next day, least none that I've ever had, either bought or made. It's palatable, but not half as tasty as fresh.