Macbook Pro 2008 issue help please

jerrodh

I am trying to wipe clean a Macbook Pro 2008 we have as it just seems bogged down and slow. I know nothing about apple products and am finding it quite annoying to figure this crap out. I do not have a boot disk and after some time googling I still don't have a solid answer that I understand.

Does anyone know if it is possible to wipe clean a Macbook Pro 2008 (2.4ghz) without the install disks? And if so how!?

maybe a better question would be if someone would let you borrow the install media. If you could let us know what OS you are running, it would be easier to help. If you purchased Lion or Mavericks (I know mavericks is free) then you can download the install media and put it on a USB thumb drive.

you just need a 10.7 iso, I just reloaded my wifes older MBP I'll look tonight and see If I can find the image. If your going to wipe it you might as well run to MC pickup an SSD and your MBP will feel like a whole new machine.

Macs dont typically get slow like windows boxes do due to there sandbox nature so i expect that a reload won't net the gain your expecting from your typical windows reload. I would take a moment and listen to the hard drive and make sure its not making odd sounds. This will cause slowdown before the drive actually fails.

A lot of times Apple rushes ahead with the OS software, and older machines kind of get dusted. Even though they still "officially" support the OS, they struggle to run it. I have a 2008 Mac Mini that is kind of hurting just to idle for this very reason. You might install 10.6 on it and see how it takes it. Then if everything is running well, upgrade to the next iteration if you're feeling ambitious.

Also, RAM is a HUUUUGE issue. A lot of times a simple RAM increase will solve any problems you are experiencing with slowdowns, etc.