Anyone use cheap cell phone companies?

Sturg1647545502

Im at the point where its possible to switch cell phone providers. I spend 75% in Columbus, in wifi range. I really don't see the need for paying a boatload of money for the same service that could be had at 1/2 the price.

I've heard of Virgin & h20 wireless. Any other companies i should consider?

Turns out what im talking about are Mobile Virtual Network Operators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

But it does look like i can bring my samsung GSIII from sprint to t-mobile. what about this $25 plan?

using straight talk $49.93/ month (including taxes) for unlimited text, talk, and data, though it only has 2.5gb of highspeed data, so after the 2.5gb of data, its so slow its useless. I haven't gone over but once when i didn't have wifi and uploaded a lot of youtube videos.

Unless the phone is capable of gsm and cdma, which is very unlikely, you won't be able to bring your old phone along.

um very likely

most galaxy's can be operated on with gsm and cdma,

though the sprint branded versions don't work on other networks while the verizon, tmobile and at&t do work on other networks.

also new iphone can work on different carriers as long as its unlocked (as other phones)

I just made the switch to T-Mobile... custom service is awesome! I have coverage everywhere (although some parts are just 2G coverage but still completely acceptable) and now I'm paying 100 a month for 3 smart phones, unlimited, talk, text, and web.... leaving Verizon was so far a smart move and I'm not looking back. (FYI, I live in the BOONIES and no drop over coverage during my entire commute home from Dublin to Marengo.)

where at is your coverage spotty? I take 71 north up to Marengo every day and I don't drop a single call.

No issues sending texts or calls. But i wont get any data around dublin powell westerville area. Polaris is fine though. I am using a ATT phone with the t mobile sim so that may cause issues? Seems like i get 4g or none at all.

• 1 month later...
what $25 plan are you talking about?

i have the $30 plan with unlimited text and 5GB full speed 4g, but only 100 minutes of talk. works for me though since i use google voice or vonage to talk over data.

Where are you seeing these cheap plans at?

I barely use the talk and im always on wifi for internet so I want I on this. I am on tmobile too.

Where are you seeing these cheap plans at?

I barely use the talk and im always on wifi for internet so I want I on this. I am on tmobile too.

if you want this, you might have to change your number. it's supposed to be for new customers through wal-mart only. there are sometimes ways to get around this though.

easiest way would be to buy this sim card kit from wal-mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-SIM-Kit/24099996

then activate it in store with a new number telling them you want this plan.

http://see.walmart.com/t-mobile/?povid=cat1105910-env542259-moduleA110913-lLinkLHNShopbyCarrierTMobile#plans

scroll down and you will see the $30 100 min/unlimited text/data 5GB 4G

i don't think you can still be in contract with your T-Mobile phone on this though.

if you want to try to keep your number (NOT Guaranteed)

buy the sim card kit from wal-mart. then call in and speak to T-Mobile customer service and ask them to switch you to this plan.

this is copied from T-Mobile's support website for proof

"We can switch you to that plan if you purchase the activation kit from Walmart and contact us with the code. Do not activate the new kit on your own as we have to do something special with it to activate you if you want to keep your same number. If you want a new number you can purchase the phone and kit in T-Mobile.com and as long as you activate your service on our site, you can select the $30/Month plan with 100 min and unlimited web/text."

the way i did it 2 years ago was this

order the sim kit from the T-Mobile website, or walk into a store and buy one.

then, go online here and setup/activate your sim online.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-activate

while going through the activation it will ask you which plan you want. the $30 plan should be offered there. there are 2 different $30 plans. make sure you pick the right one. you only get one shot at it. pick wrong, click activate and you'll have to buy a new sim and start over again.

hope this helps you and anyone else wondering.

J.R.

I think the Republic model is the future of mobile...wifi service...It will take a decade or so to be solid on a national level...just like the cable companies-they will move toward over the air service verus cables longterm...