New LSx Combo for Race Car

wagner

So my dad is trying to figure out what to do with his Monza he purchased from the Street Outlaws guys a few years ago. Right now the car has a mild small block, but has a killer chassis certed down to 8.50

He has 2 different 6.0L truck motors in his shop, one is going to be NA and go in his Nova. The other is a short block that has upgraded rod bolts and has been ringed for boost. He is starting to kick around going boosted in the Monza.

I saw this combo run some solid 5's in the 1/8th down at Lights Out in a Ultra Street car.

4.8L Stock iron block LS motor

Ported Air Flow Research heads

Holley Performance Products Hi-ram intake...

Work Turbochargers s480

Circle D Specialties Converter

Proformance Racing Transmissions Powerglide

To those who know more about the LSx platform than I do, what are your thoughts on this? It should be able to run off the stock ECU and be pretty strong using the 6.0 motor.

Is there anything else I should research for dad? He is pretty old school but wants to get into the LSx world. I know just enough to do some damage and know when to ask for the help of those smarter than me :)

In that chassis it isn't going to take much to get there. If it were me I rather have forged pistons and a decent h-beam rod then just upgraded rod bolts for a more reliable bottom end. The stock crank should hold up fine in a 600-700 hp (this always gets debated but it seems like a safe level) engine, port some 317s, some small frame 88mm turbo (I'm no turbo guy but in this ball park), and let the thing eat. If it doesn't go fast enough turn up the boost.

In that chassis it isn't going to take much to get there. If it were me I rather have forged pistons and a decent h-beam rod then just upgraded rod bolts for a more reliable bottom end. The stock crank should hold up fine in a 600-700 hp (this always gets debated but it seems like a safe level) engine, port some 317s, some small frame 88mm turbo (I'm no turbo guy but in this ball park), and let the thing eat. If it doesn't go fast enough turn up the boost.

I don't think it would be to hard to get him to uprade the pistons and rods. I don't think he would even want it turned up that much, just enough to get it down into the 9's

Turns out this combo is pretty damn stout in the Fast Motosports Ultra Car:

"5.57 at 133.5 was our best out of the 6 passes we got testing this years combo. We learned a ton while down there to really setup our game for the rest of the year. Once we get the overly tight converter figured out so we can leave on more than 3000 rpms and actually in some boost we should be much faster. A 1.40 short time just isnt going to cut it in the class. The 1.78 back half incremental shows promise though. We have a few changes planned for our next race and should put is solidly into the 20's if not the teens. We are at 3300lbs to be class legal."

I've talked to Ray in the past about this but needed more info from dad on what he wants to do. I'm going up there this weekend and plan on taking some pictures and measuring a few things as well.

Even if dad does not go down this road I'm thinking about keeping this idea in my back pocket for something in the future...