Pool ownership- costs and inspections

mrs.cos

We are contemplating a move. It's a foot in the winds chance but hey.. I got questions.

The house that has sparked our interest has a 12x24 I ground pool.

I don't know what type of liner it has yet.

What is annual maintenance costs and schedules like?

I think the schedule is typically Memorial Day to Labor Day- the pool is currently fenced in doubly (pool fence / yard is privacy fenced)

How does it affect your insurance rates?

Other concerns?

Pool has a small diving board and slide.

From what I know diving boards are prone to cause foundation cracks in pools.

How do you check a pool while it's winterized?

Pools are a major plus to me, I really want one, Nathan however has serious reservations.

Your home inspector should be able to tell you if it's a good buy or not, and answer most of those questions.

Is this house off of 23N? I know it's unlikely, but I know people getting rid of their house and it has an in ground pool. There aren't very many in Columbus.

It's in groveport

We are only mildly shopping right now. I had to convince him to move first with the right house. This one was pretty close.

I know an inspector will supposedly look at all this but ours came highly recommended and he missed some issues that I now wonder how he missed on this house.

That's a mistake I won't make again

I know it's apples to oranges but my hot tub has a lot of up keep. Chemicals, changing water, cleaning, etc. We had a pool growing up, above ground. It was a lot of work. But technology has advanced and they have some things to make cleaning easier.

We have had an above ground for about 8 years:

Annual cost (Opening to close about $600 - All bought though Scioto Valley)

If it has a heater those are expensive (can be up to $200 per month)

Never had to do a liner (We installed it when new)

Wife uses it a lot in the Summer (Not so much for me)

No dive (No experience)

Did not see much of an increase in insurance (Maybe $5 more per month - hardly noticeable)

Does tend to attract other people (Plus / minus?)

Wife likes to stay busy all the time and it is nice to see her floating when in use

Hope this helps....

Here is one more thing to think about, is this going to be your "forever" home? You may want to contact a realtor and inquire about how difficult it can be to sell a house with a pool in central Ohio. Just my .02.

Tom

Yes it would likely be our house for the next 10-15+ years( we've been in our first home for 11 years and he barely wants to move)

But that is a great question

I wouldn't trust a Home Inspector at all especially on something like a pool. You could probably have a company that installs pools come out and take a look at it and give you their opinion on the condition. I doubt it cost that much but it would for sure be worth it.

GL

We have a 20x40 inground pool(27,000 gallons) with a diving board. We had the pool install about 8 years ago and love it. Our pool is made with fiberglass walls and a concrete type of bottom. There are many options on inground pools, I didn't want one with steel walls.

Yes, it is not cheap, but we consider the pool to be a part of our yearly vacation. We have 1-1/2 pump that runs 24x7 for the entire pool season. This costs cost us about $50 a month on our monthly budget. Please note we don't have a heater, that can add a lot of additional monthly cost depending on whether electric, gas, or propane.

I open my pool each year, and I spend about $300 to purchase the supplies, chlorine/mineral supplimemts. To close, I pay Clearwater pools in Westerville to close. Closing involves blowing out the water in the lines and adding antifreeze.

Our pool is a mineral system and uses very little chlorine. The water feels like bath water and doesn't have the chemically smell or feel. Many people have a salt water system, and no way would I. Salt water causes rust and other pool issues and the water feels strange.

In regards to homeowner insurance, the pool didn't add any cost to ours, since we are classified as a farm due to livestock.

Pool maintenance is not too bad during the season. To open, I may spend up to 6 hours vacuuming and after the initial pool opening we have a robo cleaner and does a pretty good job during the season.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/RAS69/eb6fcfb5e4f853f5823b147337a27a02.jpg

If you have questions let me know.

Edited by RS69

Ours is 16 x 32, with a vinyl liner and it is pretty simple to maintain. One thing to consider is that the weather makes a big difference on the upkeep. Extreme sun and rain deplete more chlorine, but not as much as frequent use. The bio load supposedly determines the most when it comes to chemical usage. Our dog loves ours more than we do lol, and it doesn't seem to hurt the levels.

Our insurance doesn't seem to be affected much, as long as we have a fence.

I'd recommend buying from a pool store the first year, as they are helpful when learning the ropes. Then you can buy the chemicals from cheaper sources on your own.

Ok, so a strange super white girl question. How odd would it be to put a canopy deal over the pool?

I love hte pool but not the burns. (SPF85 is my best friend)

We have umbrellas near the two corners by the chairs on those really hot summer days.

Hey Trish...in the 2 houses I spent most of my child hood in we had a pool. My dad spent about an hour a week vacuuming it and about $75-100 a month in chemicals and maintenance. I will tell you though, they are awesome to have. I was able to swim whenever, and it made summer's that much more enjoyable.

I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor. Regarding home sale, I'd say an inground is a selling point, an above ground is a negative. You should be fine.

I couldn't imagine having a pool in Ohio. Pain in the ass to drain and fill it every year.

But I grew up with pools, where you didn't have to worry about any of that and it was pretty easy and cheap to maintain. Check the ph of the pool about every month or so, add some chlorine, let the Baracuda clean the bottom of the pool and filter the water, and have one of those water surface cleaners do it's thing and it pretty much takes care of itself.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Baracuda-G3-Residential-Advanced-Suction-Side-Automatic-Pool-Cleaner/W03000.htm

http://www.shopthepoolandspacenter.com/pool-devil-pro-automatic-pool-surface-cleaner-skimmer-pd00010/?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch&adtype=pla&gclid=COzauOqJiL0CFWEV7AodwisAmw

I couldn't imagine having a pool in Ohio. Pain in the ass to drain and fill it every year.

But I grew up with pools, where you didn't have to worry about any of that and it was pretty easy and cheap to maintain. Check the ph of the pool about every month or so, add some chlorine, let the Baracuda clean the bottom of the pool and filter the water, and have one of those water surface cleaners do it's thing and it pretty much takes care of itself.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Baracuda-G3-Residential-Advanced-Suction-Side-Automatic-Pool-Cleaner/W03000.htm

http://www.shopthepoolandspacenter.com/pool-devil-pro-automatic-pool-surface-cleaner-skimmer-pd00010/?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch&adtype=pla&gclid=COzauOqJiL0CFWEV7AodwisAmw

You only have to drain below the skimmer, about a foot and a half, then cover

Pools are awesome until, they aren't. My parent's pool often would have to be fixed. Concrete cracks or doesn't give a good sealing surface so it can develop a leak. The lights in the pool often cease function. The pump, chemicals and cleaning are age dependent.

Then there is that whole fear of some kid drowning in it.

Its a pretty heavy decision either way.