Best/Cheapest ways to ship wheels

Stretch

What's the best/cheapest way to ship wheels with tires mounted? I've seen that covering the finish with a cardboard cutout then wrapping it in plastic is cheaper than finding boxes. Any suggestions?

Also, which carrier would be cheapest do you think?

Thanks

Fed Ex Ground has always been the cheapest for me. Your on the mark, cutouts for the front and back of wheels, I always tape the ship to addy on the tread and write on the cardboard front and rear, then wrap with plastic.

I did have a guy let the air out of tires he shipped to me on wheels once, "to save weight" cause they had 35 pounds of air in them, you just can't make this stuff up.

Fed Ex Ground has always been the cheapest for me. Your on the mark, cutouts for the front and back of wheels, I always tape the ship to addy on the tread and write on the cardboard front and rear, then wrap with plastic.

I did have a guy let the air out of tires he shipped to me on wheels once, "to save weight" cause they had 35 pounds of air in them, you just can't make this stuff up.

That's hilarious.

NO. Use shipnex I promise there is nowhere else you can have them shipped for less.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39972

Never even heard of shipnex.. Thanks for the info!

USPS has been cheaper by a large margin for me in the past but it takes forever and the tracking sucks.

I typically ship things with USPS as I've found it to be cheaper but figured something this large would be different.

I've always used Fedex. If I can't find boxes, I put cardboard cutouts on the front/back and tape the label to the tread.

That's what I'm going to do. Thanks

If you do the cutouts, be sure they cover the wheels well and if you can double/triple up the thickness. That way if they drop them or drop something ON them, it won't bust through and possibly nick the wheels or lip. (Ask me how I know!) I also recommend filling the backside of the wheel with bubble or air pillows to keep the backside from getting crushed in. (See bolded above)

If you do the cutouts, be sure they cover the wheels well and if you can double/triple up the thickness. That way if they drop them or drop something ON them, it won't bust through and possibly nick the wheels or lip. (Ask me how I know!) I also recommend filling the backside of the wheel with bubble or air pillows to keep the backside from getting crushed in. (See bolded above)

This. I used just excess cardboard and folded a bunch of it to fill the gaps. I shipped a set of 18's with tires from here to Houston for $250ish. It was the only place I tried other than placing them on Uship, which I got quotes for double and triple that.

That's hilarious.

Never even heard of shipnex.. Thanks for the info!

I've shipped two sets through them and will never use anyone else. I am not talking just a few dollars cheaper either. Just look at all the reviews for shipnex when it comes to shipping large items.

It is an awesome service and has saved me hundreds of dollars.

This. I used just excess cardboard and folded a bunch of it to fill the gaps. I shipped a set of 18's with tires from here to Houston for $250ish. It was the only place I tried other than placing them on Uship, which I got quotes for double and triple that.

I don't fold up the cardboard, I just use a box taped shut and cut to the proper depth to fill the backspace. Saves weight but still allows for strength and backfill.

Never thought of that. Thanks for the advice.

Shipnex is looking to be around $175 for all 4. Cheapest I got otherwise was Fedex at over $300.