V8 E30 Project

C-Mart

I have been looking to start a new project for a while and after tossing around several ideas I finally decided on one. I missed out on a really good deal on a E30 roller two weeks ago, but picked this up last week:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2891/13340090413_64168d1ecd.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7126/13340172933_514b0f9536.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3754/13340174343_572b546bac.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3747/13340102403_69b0e53118.jpg

2000 540i with a 6 speed. Rear end collision and the body is rough in places, but the motor ran great, compression checked out, and the tranny shifted perfectly. M5 swapped interior that I should be able to sell for a good amount of what I paid for the whole car. Coilovers, rims, etc.

Now I just need to find a clean E30 and get to wrenching.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to parts with those seats? If so lmk id be interested in them

Seats (Corbeau F1X Pros I believe) will be sold along with the sliders, VAC E39 adapters, and harnesses.

I will actually be in Columbus in 2 weeks as well.

Seats (Corbeau F1X Pros I believe) will be sold along with the sliders, VAC E39 adapters, and harnesses.

I will actually be in Columbus in 2 weeks as well.

can you pm me a price when you get it sorted? I do not need the adapters or harness if that helps im looking to put them in my trans am.

Good question. This swap is cheaper and the car is worth more once completed. The BMW scene likes keeping things in the family from what I have seen. I plan on enjoying this car over the summer and selling in the fall/next spring.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked up an E30 this weekend. 1991 318is 2 door 5 speed. Now I have to decide if I want to take on the headache of using the M62TUB44 that I already have (wiring nightmare) or go the non-TU M62 or M60 route.

14199321956_c7c2026a56_z.jpg

• 4 months later...
:fuckyeah:This is going to be good

For wiring, do you plan to keep BMW immobilizer system or flash DME to bypass and use other security measures?

I have the full running car so just wire in the EWS to the DME.

Little update.

The 2000 I bought is a M62TUB44 - this means nothing to most and nothing to me when I bought it. I then learned that these motors (mid way through 99+) are wired to everything and love limp mode. So I parted out the 2000 and bought a 1998 (M62B44).

I plan on working a lot on this over the next three weeks. Here they are as they currently sit. E30 is pretty well torn apart including the interior so I can wire everything in. The E39 needs the motor/trans pulled which I should get to this weekend. I have most of the parts needed. Motors/trans mounts etc. Still need to shorten the driveshaft and wire.

15396010152_606c91c20e_z.jpgimage

• 2 months later...

No pictures, but finally figured out my motor mount problem which was stopping me from moving forward.

Now I can make the exhaust manifolds (tight fit), get the driveshaft shortened, start on the booster relocation, and wiring.

I also decided to make the radiator support removable which will be another undertaking, but worth it with how big the motor and trans are.

Cant wait to see the finished product. Are you using a 400hp V8 from a M5 or just the regular V8 in the 5 series? Also, since you sold the other car, will you still be swapping in a 6 speed or just using the 5 speed that came with the red one.

300hp/300tq from the 5 series. My original plan was to build this then try my hands at a m5 motor but I'll decide once this one is on the road. The transmissions are the same between the two donor cars so it will still be the 6 speed.