V8 E30 Project

C-Mart

Awesome snag sir!

That car is going to be a riot.

Which willwood setup? It will probably be worth it, the stock brakes probably stink. I had a e36 M3 with 600hp and the stock brakes were a huge weak link with that power, assuming the e30 would be worse.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilwood 6 piston.

I passed on them. He knocked off $2500 and they cost $2500 new.

His track cars have the same brakes he is putting on the car and he said they were fine. The E30 is a different animal than the E36.

Immediate plans include getting it running (obviously), flat white wrap, and a cam.

It's been done. If I found a single turbo manifold I knew worked I would buy it just to start collecting parts and getting things fitted.

I found an article about a guy with an old 911 that put 600,000 miles on it. That is what I want.

You should see how many people are pissed on the BMW boards. How can you seriously argue against an LS?

I found an article about a guy with an old 911 that put 600,000 miles on it. That is what I want.

After rebuilding the top end on my E36, I've driven (and enjoyed) nearly every day. Was that article on Petrolicious? It was a black 911 in California? I remember seeing something like that as well and it inspired me to keep a solid German platform and just keep working it and driving it. :thumbup:

Wilwood 6 piston.

I passed on them. He knocked off $2500 and they cost $2500 new.

His track cars have the same brakes he is putting on the car and he said they were fine. The E30 is a different animal than the E36.

Immediate plans include getting it running (obviously), flat white wrap, and a cam.

You could always rob a decent setup from another car if you had to for less anyways.

Are the E30 M3 prices still crazy? My old neighbor had two and wanted crazy money for them a few years back. Such a great shape those cars have.

That will be useful.

High mileage S50/S52 cars bring at least 25k. S14 cars bring at least 30. There was just a similar build LS1 E30 M3 for 42k on Ebay.

And yeah there are options for 996 brakes on this for <$1000.

Not too bad, hopefully you scored a good deal.

People get creative with what parts they can make work. I just saw CTSV calipers on a DSM, I would assume those are similar to the EVO Brembos though.

Look forward to seeing you complete the car, oddballs are always refreshing to see.

I got a JP deal. When he told me his ballpark pricing I couldn't believe it - this coming from a guy who owns FIVE E30 M3s so he knew what he had. Every time I go back he thinks of more parts to throw in that he has no use for. He never listed it for sale, if he did I surely have been 'out bid'.

• 4 weeks later...

No real progress on this other than an ear to ear grin every time I open my garage. Work has been crazy as of late.

Original plan was to get the 318 (344) sorted so I could sell it in the spring. I think I am going to do what I can to get the M3 running so I can get it to paint since this winter has been so mild and take advantage of the extra space to more easily sort the 318.

Either way - I'll keep this updated.

• 3 months later...

I got my V8 E30 running last fall as a proof of concept. The wiring was way too long, power steering not hooked up, the oil filter housing sat so high the hood wouldn't close, vacuum lines everywhere, the 4.10 rear and was WAY too much for the transmission (already replaced with a 2.93 LSD), ETC.

Here is what it looked like its first trip on the road :lolguy:

25235357253_c5cabf101b_z.jpg

Starting to clean everything up now.

Wiring is routed behind the firewall now, pulling the motor to clean it up, re routed the oil filter out of the way, redoing all the brake lines while the motor is out - also doing the coilovers and BBK while the brake lines are being redone. Here is a pic of the oil filter housing relocation:

25219369364_53fa6d2dbe_z.jpg

Car is cleaning up nicely though. The next owner should be very happy with it.

• 1 month later...
I know you your other thread you said this car is done, so can we get some "finished" pics and maybe a driving video? I've been following this thread since the beginning and was kinda hoping to see how this turned out.

None of it driving. I never get around to buying a gopro, but I'll get a cell photo potato shortly. The only thing I have left to do is wire in the coolant temp gauge and maybe clean up the wiring a little more. I started on the M3 because I dropped it off yesterday to clean up my horrific attempt at an exhaust.

Here is a before/after interior shot. Ill get some exterior/engine bay/videos soon to be followed by better ones when it goes up for sale.

26265558242_e4aaa174de_z.jpg

25955344663_70df1e49cc_z.jpg

This is what trolling craigslist, search tempest, and forums daily for 2 years looks like.

I'll be sad to see it go. I hope the buyer cheap out on some of the interior parts that I can use on the M3.

• 4 weeks later...