Another "what to buy" thread-SUV edition!

coltboostin

Goal-SUV that is wife friendly (see-auto, and OK if she wrecks it lol). She has a 14 Rav 4, but will start baby sitting and may need a 3RD row

Budget-8 to 10k. 15+ if it makes sense.

Most important to me-reliability. I should not expect to replace an engine/trans at 200k with proper maintenance. Buying Cash, want to keep it for 5+years. Minimum total investment. I would also like for it to be able to tow small boats and cars without worry. My F-350 is just not Family Friendly.

Need-

4wd

3rd row

Resale

Want

Remote start

Nav/Roof/Do-dads

Should I consider...

Towing Capacity?

Main Contenders

GMC Envoy-04 up

Price :) Interior :( 3rd Row+

I6. Reliable? Can it tow? T case issues?

V8-are the issues with DOD that serious?

Anyone know when they started to have remote start?

Hyundai Santa Fe 07 up

Girl friendlly. Do-dads

Nice interior

Is it realllly reliable?

Basically Tow at your own risk it seems

Cadillac SRX 04 up

Rommy- GM price point with better fit and finish

Can park next to my Caddy-get same color for maximum gay

V6 ONLY?!?!? Reliable?

Towing capacity?

again-remote start in what year?

Toyota Rav 4 (09-12 with 3rd row)

RELIABLE

3rd row

No towing

Explorer 04 up

Better Interior. Limited 3rd Low?

Reliable?

Worth mentioning

Toyota 4runner/Highlander-EXPENSIVE. Not known for towing-less interior room for the $$$

Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade-She thinks its too big. Worth talking her into one? Why?

Expedition/Navigator-you tell me.

Please give any and all opinions on the matter so I can have Jordan @ JET find me the car!:lolguy:

Talk her into a Tahoe with the third row. I feel a navigator or expedition is just as bulky so it shouldn't be to hard to convince. I will say more 2 people at work looking for third row ( one is a big jag guy other a Honda guy) both would hop on a deal for the Tahoe.

I personally feel the expedition feels like it's bigger, but that's just personal opinion. If she is ok with third row and not a mini van, I'm sure once she drives a Tahoe she will be ok with its size. And at least for me being 6"1 I think the layout of the tahoe's interior is easy for people to move around/ get in and out of ( thinking of for hauling kids etc)

The envoy is a decent truck. We had an 04 trailblazer with the i6, never had any issues, and asside from sucking down gas while towing, it did alright, but id still get a 5.3 version.

With hyundai, personally id say anything pre maybe 2010, is at your own risk. Havent found a kia hyundai yet that wasnt junk.

I would not own a Trailblazer or Envoy, the I6 isn't horrible, but the things feel cheap and sloppy to drive down the road. A V8 version is a PITA to work on, and yes DOD is a bitch, causes sticking rings and oil consumption on everything with it. I would delete the DOD or AFM on any GM V8 if I bought it.

Talk her into a Tahoe with the third row. I feel a navigator or expedition is just as bulky so it shouldn't be to hard to convince. I will say more 2 people at work looking for third row ( one is a big jag guy other a Honda guy) both would hop on a deal for the Tahoe.

The Tahoe is just as bulky as the Expedition. I've driven both. Hard to tell a difference size wise.

A 5.3 suburban or 5.3 Tahoe. Stupid reliable.

Another vote for a Tahoe it will pull a boat nicely too.

While I would say I'm not exactly a "Chevy guy", these are good suggestions IMO.

The envoy is a decent truck. We had an 04 trailblazer with the i6, never had any issues, and aside from sucking down gas while towing, it did alright, but id still get a 5.3 version.

With hyundai, personally id say anything pre maybe 2010, is at your own risk. Havent found a kia hyundai yet that wasnt junk.

Uncle abused a Santa Fe (I mean, like never did ANY scheduled maintenance) for about 180K miles and traded it in. It had a crap ton wrong with it by then of course, but it was rust free and ran. I think it was an 04 or 05. I don't personally like them, but the reliability wasn't the issue.

At the same time they had an Envoy. Had nothing but trouble. Yes, it was due to the way they treat their vehicles, but side by side the Hyundai took the abuse better. Again, just my opinion.

One of my DD's is a beat up 2000 Elantra (different class, I know) with 148K on the ODO and the PO abused it as well. I can't complain.

The Tahoe is just as bulky as the Expedition. I've driven both. Hard to tell a difference size wise.

While I would say I'm not exactly a "Chevy guy", these are good suggestions IMO.

Uncle abused a Santa Fe (I mean, like never did ANY scheduled maintenance) for about 180K miles and traded it in. It had a crap ton wrong with it by then of course, but it was rust free and ran. I think it was an 04 or 05. I don't personally like them, but the reliability wasn't the issue.

At the same time they had an Envoy. Had nothing but trouble. Yes, it was due to the way they treat their vehicles, but side by side the Hyundai took the abuse better. Again, just my opinion.

One of my DD's is a beat up 2000 Elantra (different class, I know) with 148K on the ODO and the PO abused it as well. I can't complain.

i've seen a lot of issues with the Envoys for some reason: Air suspension bags, compressor, abs issues, stabilitrak, SAI, front suspension.. etc

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer V6. Went all the way to 257k before I started having transmission issues.

Just last week a bought another 2003 Ford Explorer V6 totaled and with 100k for 1200 with tailgate damage so Im just gonna swap my good panels onto the totaled ride and go for another 150K.

Never really towed anything more than light loads, the heaviest was a pontoon boat for about 20 miles and it felt like it would jack knife if I had to stop suddenly but it got the job done. Just have to be careful with it, but I wouldn't tow a car long distances with it.

Sell your Rav4 to A.J.'s sister http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117119 she's got money burning a hole in his pocket.

Use as down payment on newish Tahoe/burban.

I saw that. I am sending him a PM.

The Rav 4 is NICE-much nicer than previous years. Just does not fit the current need, and was a knee-jerk reaction when the wife was about to dive birth at the beginning of winter and was diving a Corolla. I dont regret it as it was amazing for her and the baby as a DD

I have a 2002 Suburban Z71 that I am about ready to trade in on another Suburban. It has been an awesome vehicle. I am just spoiled and want a newer one.

It is at the bottom of the price range you are looking at but if you would be interested I can give you the details.

First gen QX56

I want to stay away from Nissan. I have never seen a newer model make 200k without a mass of issues.

I would not own a Trailblazer or Envoy, the I6 isn't horrible, but the things feel cheap and sloppy to drive down the road. A V8 version is a PITA to work on, and yes DOD is a bitch, causes sticking rings and oil consumption on everything with it. I would delete the DOD or AFM on any GM V8 if I bought it.

Have you owned one of these? Is the DOD issue really that bad on the V8? Does the Tahoe have the same issues?

i've seen a lot of issues with the Envoys for some reason: Air suspension bags, compressor, abs issues, stabilitrak, SAI, front suspension.. etc

I have read mixed reviews-but more leaning towards the problematic.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer V6. Went all the way to 257k before I started having transmission issues.

Just last week a bought another 2003 Ford Explorer V6 totaled and with 100k for 1200 with tailgate damage so Im just gonna swap my good panels onto the totaled ride and go for another 150K.

Good to know. I think Ford does make a good truck-my F350 has over 200k and is problem free. No 3rd row in an explorer correct?

I have a 2002 Suburban Z71 that I am about ready to trade in on another Suburban. It has been an awesome vehicle. I am just spoiled and want a newer one.

It is at the bottom of the price range you are looking at but if you would be interested I can give you the details.

How long have you owned it? Maintenance done? Any mechanical issues?

And yes send details :)

Maintenance scares me. Maybe if I was a VW tech I'd feel more comfortable with that. From what I have seen even minor upkeep is $$$ and many special tools required.

Cheapo car max warranty and you're golden. Every person I've spoken to with one of the diesels hasn't had any major issues, guy I just picked a car up from had two! 120+ k miles on each. No issues.