School me on some tires

Jewtoys

I'm currently running a healthy set of Dunlop Direzza star specs on my car and cannot hook even with the tires warm from a 80MPH roll..... Suspension is fully dialed in and setup properly, I'm just past the limits of these tires it looks like.

Stuck at the 255 45 17 size, as I'm not rolling the fenders or anything. I'm leaning towards the R888 but open to input!

Dunlop Direzza Zii

Hankook RS3 Version 2 (will be available within the next month)

BFG Rival

No particluar order, all good tires.

The Direzza stink, have the star specs on it now and literally no traction. Not even when fully warmed up. Trying to see if there is a better option than a full out drag radial style tire..

Is this for the e36 m?

Yes. Just had it on the dyno last night for some tweaks, got right near 600HP and my fuel pump started crapping out. Ordered a new pump and soon will be at the limit of the 35r

Direzza is a great tire, I think you are putting down power with a car that wasn't designed to do that, so you may hit some roadblocks along the way. I gave my .02. Hopefully you figure it out.

He's looking for outright acceleration traction, not cornering grip. The cornering tires have a stiff sidewall and probably won't hook worth a shit.

Might be time to get some NT05R's or something at the very least.

NT-01 and or R888 is the next step up. Both suck in the wet. R888 gets hard after it gets to about 1/2 tread remaining. NT-01 gets better and better until it cords.

Honestly the gap between the tires Kale posted and R888's isn't what it used to be. The really sticky street rubber esp the Rival is much more sticky than the tread wear rating might indicate.

If you don't care about being able to drive in the rain put Hoosier R6's on it and call it a day. Might be your best bet to getting the thing to hook and since it's a road race tire it'll still go around corners.

He's looking for outright acceleration traction, not cornering grip. The cornering tires have a stiff sidewall and probably won't hook worth a shit.

Might be time to get some NT05R's or something at the very least.

Ah, I see....guess that wasn't fully clear....this is where I leave the conversation :dumb:

Ah, I see....guess that wasn't fully clear....this is where I leave the conversation :dumb:

Yes it's a E36, they handle like a brick. 600+ hp in one of these and trying to track it would be miserable

R888 are supposed to have the best grip in a radial/ street tire. I have not used them but they con is they are stupid soft and wont get you a lot of miles.

M&H drag radials are what I run on my supra. They hook up to 800hp, but im running a 325 wide tire. Again not a great # of miles to be had with these tires.

Can you go to a full slick or not? M&H makes a nice 26.0x8.5x17" full slick that would fit as well. Evo guys run these on stock tires and they are hooking up to 600+hp on the AWD platform.

NT-01 and or R888 is the next step up. Both suck in the wet. R888 gets hard after it gets to about 1/2 tread remaining. NT-01 gets better and better until it cords.

Honestly the gap between the tires Kale posted and R888's isn't what it used to be. The really sticky street rubber esp the Rival is much more sticky than the tread wear rating might indicate.

If you don't care about being able to drive in the rain put Hoosier R6's on it and call it a day. Might be your best bet to getting the thing to hook and since it's a road race tire it'll still go around corners.

It's not a DD so I don't care about wet driving, but it will see mostly highway trips...

Hoosier R6 over the R888 you think?

R888 are supposed to have the best grip in a radial/ street tire. I have not used them but they con is they are stupid soft and wont get you a lot of miles.

M&H drag radials are what I run on my supra. They hook up to 800hp, but im running a 325 wide tire. Again not a great # of miles to be had with these tires.

Can you go to a full slick or not? M&H makes a nice 26.0x8.5x17" full slick that would fit as well. Evo guys run these on stock tires and they are hooking up to 600+hp on the AWD platform.

I don't care if I have to keep replacing tires every 4-8k miles, tires are cheap and it's not a DD.

I'd prefer not to run a slick on the highway, not a fan of the moving around.. :fuuuu:

It's not a DD so I don't care about wet driving, but it will see mostly highway trips...

Hoosier R6 over the R888 you think?

R6 is much sticker than R888. not an apples to apples comparison but R6 is worth about 2 seconds a lap on a 90 second road course over an R888. Best way I can show it's the sticker tire.

R6 has 2 groove around the tire and no other tread. It's DOT rated but it's basically a slick. It does not have soft sidewalls like drag slicks do.

Better make sure there is no chance of rain on the Hoosiers. Like none. I've had those, and the qtp's (same tire basically except now much wider). Never thought I'd think I might die right now while attempting to drive 30mph down broad st. Even worse when they are 18" wide. So if you're going out on a iffy rain night do not get the Hoosiers. However, they will hook better and will get heat in them on roll races.

Only thing that worked on my 600whp BMW was Hoosier drag radials. Nothing worked below 65 degrees or so

A lot of people have been saying the Hoosier and r888 are hooking on similar setups, which is good to hear. It was also 60-65 out here in NC but I was getting the tires warm and anything under a high mph it wouldn't hook. Need to address this before I move up to the 700+ range