Ohio G8 hits 9's

cstmg8

Tim King from the Dayton area ran a 9.97@136 this past weekend. This pass was with a 150ish shot I believe, but even the all motor passes were impressive. I'll try to copy the post from grrrr8.

I'm sure some you in the western side of the state will be seeing him at the track this year. Some from CR probably already know him from years past, he had a quick grand Prix in the early 2000's.

Grrrr8 post from Rick Crawford:

Tim King brought his car down from Ohio to setup and dial in the custom direct port nitrous kit I built for his intake few months ago. <br />

Build:<br />

Built 6.2, Forged, stock stroke, .005" over bore. 11.0 Compression<br />

223/235 .625/.625" 112+0 cam using PAC-1219x springs<br />

BR7EF plugs<br />

RCR heads, intake, and TB. LS9 valves<br />

Vararam CAI, no ram-air plate<br />

1 7/8- 3" OBX exhaust<br />

3.45 gears<br />

Coan 2300 triple disk stall<br />

Rebuilt 6L80e- extra clutch build<br />

Custom Direct Port soft line kit- Nitrous Supply 26/22 jetting 6psi, 28/22 jetting 8 1/2 psi<br />

Dedicated fuel system- 116 race gas<br />

RTS Weld 17" Drag Pack<br />

Maverick-Man coil overs and carbon fiber hood<br />

<br />

So Friday night Tim, Rob, and Jeremy make it here from Ohio and we get prepped for racing Saturday.....setup. Built a custom trans tune for Sport mode so the trans would shift solid and keep off the rev limiter. Next, worked on system checks and setup to try and make sure everything was set "close" to where it needed to be. It needed a few wires fixed, timing retard verified(or it could to be a short test session), set retard to pull 13 degrees, set fuel pressure, then a few hits with only fuel to make sure it was spraying fuel. Then time to crack the bottle. First hit on a 3rd gear pull showed 10.0 afr..a bit rich, pulled back the fuel pressure until it held around 11.5. So at 12:45am we were ready for a day of testing at the track. <br />

<br />

Saturday, put on the drag pack and headed to the track. Made a single motor pass to see where the car was at 11.51 @120 1.76 60ft. DA was @1400'. Next, heated up the bottle for a pass. Window switch set to 2700. http://10.75@127.....hmm not quiet what was expected....After looking over the log it appeared there was a little too much testing done the night before. Next pass, full bottle 10.45 @13x, followed with a 10.43@135. Looked over the logs and things looked a little rich. Pulled some fuel and bumped the rpm switch down to 2500, swapped for a fresh bottle. 10.19@139 followed with a 10.13@139. Day was getting late and still no 9's. The car has be struggling on the 60ft being lazy at the launch. It seem as if the timing was coming out too fast before the nitrous was hitting. Adjusted the PE timing to help compensate. Added 5 degrees below 2400 and moved the window switch to 2300, and bumped the nitrous jet to 28 but didn't have a fuel jet so fuel pressure was set to 8 1/2. Next pass was a Grudge race with a 92 Mustang Coupe, gutted, 351 c-4, nitrous. Mustang Pro-Tree, heads-up. Knowing the Mustang was going to drill the 60ft and the G8 car has been lazy, I decided to make a quick hit on it before pulling to the line. Slight delay but much better than it had been earlier. It was going to have to do and maybe the quick bump would make the hit better on the start. A quick nitrous purge and lined up. I tree'd him and watched him make up a little until the 330, then pulled on him thru the 1/8 and held him off. The car left like a rocket and ran great, nailed all the shifts solid, and pulled the win light. G8's 9.97@136 1.50 60ft. to the Mustangs 10.17. whew, finally...Looked over the logs to see where the MPH went and it looked like the fuel pressure was a little to high, dropped it from 8 1/2 to 8. Results, 10.65...ops the lost MPH from the 9.97 was the bottle running low, 10.65 was running on a few fumes so faster will have to wait for later. I would expect with a full bottle, dropping the window switch another 100, and a good 1.4x 60ft. the car would see some 9.80- 70's if the 60ft. If he ran race gas on the motor side it would go 9.60's. Still finished off with a good day of testing. The 26/22 setup would go 9's if it would have got out of the hole hard enough. Tim drove the car back to my house to get packed up, trans still shifting great, and the car never skipped a beat both days. The third time I have put a car in the #3 spot in the last few months.......:cheers: Tim has a video of the pass that he'll have to get uploaded.<br/>

Video? More info on car?

These are two of the guys I suggested when you asked about possible Ohio/car guys for hpp articles.

Rick Crawford is in NC, but he's a wizard with these cars. The 2nd fastest G8 is in WV. Fastest was demodded a bit and sold out west.