To all my fellow Engineers

DavidBaustert

when I was a younger engineer... meetings like this all the time... Especially at Ford... As I work my way up and have reputation... most meetings just nod their head and agree to follow... the tough/dramatic meetings now are when there is a disagreement between engineers on what is 'right'... lol And then the meetings when my boss's boss and I dont agree (both fairly 'dominant/execute' personalities)... You would think it would be really bad to get in yelling arguments with your boss's boss... but in reality we both have a lot of respect for each other (I think) and get along well when we are not disagreeing, lol

when I was a younger engineer... meetings like this all the time... Especially at Ford... As I work my way up and have reputation... most meetings just nod their head and agree to follow... the tough/dramatic meetings now are when there is a disagreement between engineers on what is 'right'... lol And then the meetings when my boss's boss and I dont agree (both fairly 'dominant/execute' personalities)... You would think it would be really bad to get in yelling arguments with your boss's boss... but in reality we both have a lot of respect for each other (I think) and get along well when we are not disagreeing, lol

This could apply to how business management in the corporate world works now days not just engineering.

I have sat in meetings with customers and construction engineers and project coordinators and our company has told them we can make that work. And then it's up to me to make it work.

It's amazing after being in meetings like that any company can make money. It's not too from the true.

I've been in meetings like that and I feel like I have conversations like that almost on a daily basis. I just want to be like this guy sometimes:

I am this guy at my company, and honestly, it's one of the reasons they pay me so well. You HAVE to have this guy, and not be afraid of him saying "Thats's dumb". As long as that guy is objective, you are golden, as it forces your other members to defend their arguments, and if they can't, then perhaps it IS dumb.

I am this guy at my company, and honestly, it's one of the reasons they pay me so well. You HAVE to have this guy, and not be afraid of him saying "Thats's dumb". As long as that guy is objective, you are golden, as it forces your other members to defend their arguments, and if they can't, then perhaps it IS dumb.

I agree and do this all the time. Ironically, I just came off a conference call where I felt like a combination of these videos applied.

This could apply to how business management in the corporate world works now days not just engineering.

I have sat in meetings with customers and construction engineers and project coordinators and our company has told them we can make that work. And then it's up to me to make it work.

It's amazing after being in meetings like that any company can make money. It's not too from the true.

Been there with sales people and had to ask them after the fact "at what point did you think that was a good idea?" Bunch of clueless animals...

The only thing I can add is that sometimes the flip-side is also true. In most cases everyone in the room thinks their option is best and somewhere along the line 1 option has to be chosen so it erks me to no end when their are people who whine and bitch that because their way wasn't picked so "why was I even here". I feel more and more often that people believe if someone asks for their opinion, then that opinion is the only option.

hahaha - so true on so many levels

Turbs, I agree, I dislike when I am called into a meeting for my opinion and they don't like my idea. So be it, but I dislike when they argue with the data provided then I start to get perturbed and begin to whine to other like-minded people after the meeting. :)

But, if any of you scrolled down through the comments on the video page you will have found this gem-

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/00000/1000/700/1783/1783.strip.sunday.gif